+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Bridge?

Somehow I don't think that a 2600K outperforms an X-series processor. The modifications made from last gen to Sandy Bridge are far too small for that.

It might outperform it in the integrated GPU area, but when you're talking about a mid-high range box, it'll have a GPU.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    its possible it maybe matches the performance, but at a $300 price tag instead of $1000.

But several reviews I've read also have said the same about Sandy Bridge, that the improvements aren't that big either, more like a rework of the current platforms (1156/1366) CPU's, with similar performance for a lower price tag.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

From what Ive read of hands on experience, the 2 swap back and forth equally depending on the benchmark run...
    Essentially $300 gets you the performance a grand used to get you...
    (Just one example)
    Check out the cool UEFI bios replacement video at the bottom

Personally I thought it was ludicrous that the top end CPU from Intel was a thousand dollars and that anyone would consider that feasible.
    Unless that PC was your livelihood and it truly made the difference, I cant see it being an option, however at a $300 pricepoint its realistic.
    The platform may be a bit more limited in certain enthusiast niche's, but for Joe-Everyman its right where it should be.
    Last edited by JPMiller; January 29th, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Screw Sandy Bridge, where's my Ivy Bridge? =p

What's the deal with this Sandy Bridge DRM thing anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller View Post
    From what Ive read of hands on experience, the 2 swap back and forth equally depending on the benchmark run...
    Essentially $300 gets you the performance a grand used to get you...
    (Just one example)
    Check out the cool UEFI bios replacement video at the bottom

Personally I thought it was ludicrous that the top end CPU from Intel was a thousand dollars and that anyone would consider that feasible.
    Unless that PC was your livelihood and it truly made the difference, I cant see it being an option, however at a $300 pricepoint its realistic.
    The platform may be a bit more limited in certain enthusiast niche's, but for Joe-Everyman its right where it should be.

The Problem I have with it, is why couldn't this have been released for Socket 1156 or 1366. Why yet an entirely new socket?

was the X58 or H5x/P5x chipsets that restricted and limiting to the new CPU's?

anyone that wants that kind of performance has to upgrade not only the CPU, but the Motherboard as well.

Where as had they offered that kind of performance on existing 1156/1366 motherboards, then that would be much better.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Quote Originally Posted by xodaQo View Post
    What's the deal with this Sandy Bridge DRM thing anyway?
    OK, I'll bite...
    What the hell is it your talking about?
    What "DRM" and where did you hear about from?

Part of the reason is that these chips are quite different and most likely youd want a new chipset to take advantage of it anyway...

Even if you didn't...
    The way I see it is this, If I'm shelling out for a new CPU, its not going to be just a few months after I bought my old one, so advances in technology, newer board styles, new KING of the hill models are out that I will likely want/"need".
    I will likely want to sell my previous CPU and I may as well include the board as well and upgrade overall.
    Granted I know not everyone will WANT to do this, but it isn't all that big of a deal since realistically if you have the money to waste on the CPU upgrade that isn't going to be a night and day difference then you obviously have the money to waste on a new board that is also being offset by the sale of your old.
    I mean come-on, this is all a vicious cycle anyway...
    truth is most of us have rigs we rarely tax to its full potential, and when we do its usually for gaming and trivial things, not for something truly important.
    The game industry pushes the hardware industry and we all jump to the helm to get the latest & greatest.
    Were part of the problem when we snatch up the newest shiniest bauble they throw at us.
    I make it a point to NEVER purchase something within the first year its out, or at least nearly that long...
    I dislike being a guinea pig, who also pays top dollar to get it first.
    My mantra has always been, middle of the road, best bang for buck, and tried and proven.

Truth be told, my 1st reaction was, $#@%&#, ANOTHER socket already?
    Last edited by JPMiller; January 30th, 2011 at 04:20 AM.

Thou Shalt Not Stream

One particularly interesting reported detail regarding the processors is that Intel will incorporate hardware-level copy protection technologies.

The technology it'll use is apparently called "Insider." It will incorporate an end-to-end protection layer and a management feature to unlock high-definition movies downloaded from online Create an online store today -- 30 day free trial. Click here to learn more. streaming services or off DVDs.

"These are features built into the hardware, so if you're a Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX) or a Warner Bros., you can program a time clock into a movie or code it so it's good for only a certain number of days after the consumer downloads it," In-Stat's McGregor pointed out. "It's all related to DRM."

DRM, or digital rights management, has long been a bone of contention between consumers and content providers, mainly motion picture studios and recording companies. The Recording Industry Association of America spent more than US$16 million on legal fees in 2008 alone to sue individuals for downloading music illegally, according to its tax returns, as published on P2Pnet.

"I'm really interested to see how this is going to go over," McGregor said. "Only Hollywood likes the idea of copy protection, and consumers have got around every protection they've put in place."

Apparently, Warner Bros. Digital distribution has agreed to make 300 HD titles available for streaming to computers using the new Intel Core processors with the built-in Insider feature.

Intel's apparently working with more studios to get their content. Further, it reportedly will include the "Insider" feature in lower-end consumer processors.

What if you don't upgrade your laptop or PC to one with the new Core processor? You're out of luck.

That's where things could really get interesting.

"As long as just a few people are shut out of access to these high-definition videos, things will be quiet," McGregor said. "But if things get to a point where every bit of streaming content's protected this way, there might be a serious consumer backlash."
    Technology News: Chips: Intel Builds Sandy Bridge With a DRM Tollbooth

Truth be told, my 1st reaction was, $#@%&#, ANOTHER socket already?
    Yep.

Its "Insider" technology that adds a capability, NOT a DRM layer to prevent something....
    It seems to me its mostly uninformed alarmists that are sounding off on this so far.
    I'm not saying it doesnt have the capability of being a fiasco eventually should they go down the wrong path with this, but in my opinion its Intel's way of making themselves an inroad to a feature that people will want, rather than one people will avoid.
    Insider sandy bridge - Bing

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    The Problem I have with it, is why couldn't this have been released for Socket 1156 or 1366. Why yet an entirely new socket?

was the X58 or H5x/P5x chipsets that restricted and limiting to the new CPU's?

anyone that wants that kind of performance has to upgrade not only the CPU, but the Motherboard as well.

Where as had they offered that kind of performance on existing 1156/1366 motherboards, then that would be much better.
    I believe the new sockets for 2 things:

1. the new processor has different dimensions, the older i7 was closer to square while this new one is more rectangular and the extra space came from the embedded gpu.

2. its an easy way to separate the old from the new, the mainstream from the enthusiasts, yeah it sucks for consumers that keep up with this stuff, but for people that don't keep up with computers for years then decides its time for a new one, all they have to do is say "do i want 1155 or the 2011?".

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorcosmic View Post
    I believe the new sockets for 2 things:

1. the new processor has different dimensions, the older i7 was closer to square while this new one is more rectangular and the extra space came from the embedded gpu.

2. its an easy way to separate the old from the new, the mainstream from the enthusiasts, yeah it sucks for consumers that keep up with this stuff, but for people that don't keep up with computers for years then decides its time for a new one, all they have to do is say "do i want 1155 or the 2011?".
    While the dimensions idea has merit, the "simplicity" idea is bullshit. Consumer computers don't have mobo options, and if you don't know or can't figure out sockets and specs then you shouldn't be building a computer anyway.

A. By all accounts there is NO discernible dimension differences between the 2 CPU's its simply a matter of pins.
    B. There is doubt now that there will even be a "2011" socket at all, 1155 will likely be the standard, which is another reason the socket had to change.

Its kind of funny how much misinformation is being broadcast here.
    Its pretty obvious the people the most inflamed by this didn't read much actual info beyond old "projections" and conjecture based on pre-release rumors.
    If you don't own one, or haven't read multiple hands-on reviews and actual release based specs, why are you commenting or posting misinformation?
    Last edited by JPMiller; January 31st, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

A. By all accounts there is NO discernible dimension differences between the 2 CPU's its simply a matter of pins.
    B. There is doubt now that there will even be a "2011" socket at all, 1155 will likely be the standard, which is another reason the socket had to change.

Its kind of funny how much misinformation is being broadcast here.
    Its pretty obvious the people the most inflamed by this didn't read much actual info beyond old "projections" and conjecture based on pre-release rumors.
    If you don't own one, or haven't read multiple hands-on reviews and actual release based specs, why are you commenting or posting misinformation?
    I don't care for the sandy or ivy bridge, all about the Haswell.

On another note Gigabyte is advertising a 5.7ghz overclock on air using one of there motherboards and the i7-2600K.

Where did you hear that?

every site i've checked "overclockers, toms hardware, evga forums" it seems to be common idea that 2011 will come out and it will be for the enthusiast processor, just like they did with the nehalem...then screwed over 1366.

MaximumPC as well as others have heard rumors about the 1155 being a one socket release for now, with the rumored 2011 being just that... Its all conjecture until the actual release, so I don't bother with anything much beyond what I can hold in my hand...
    These things change all the time and in my opinion I don't really care whats coming out as long as when it does, prices come down on the current gen.
    I'd much rather be a generation behind and be able to benefit from testing, reviews, and long term experience than be a futurist who's ALWAYS waiting on the next big thing and paying through the nose for it..
    Last edited by JPMiller; January 31st, 2011 at 07:03 PM.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well here's a good reason not to upgrade right now

Flaw In New Intel 6-Series Boards Prompts Potential Recall

PS I'm sort of with JP on the early adopter issues here. Consumers are the ones pushing the market and allowing Intel, AMD and NVIDIA to get away with flooding the market the way they do. Remember back in the day you use to get one series at a time with incremental updates that were generally faster and better. Now they ship out several series at one time that convolute the market.

Simplicity my ass...
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    Well here's a good reason not to upgrade right now

Flaw In New Intel 6-Series Boards Prompts Potential Recall

PS I'm sort of with JP on the early adopter issues here. Consumers are the ones pushing the market and allowing Intel, AMD and NVIDIA to get away with flooding the market the way they do. Remember back in the day you use to get one series at a time with incremental updates that were generally faster and better. Now they ship out several series at one time that convolute the market.

Simplicity my ass...
    I think they mentioned in one of the articles in Ars that they asked someone at CES about that ... The response was something like, it will make sense when the next generation of products hits the market ...

Cause ya know, they want to wait until you have had to deal with three or four years of crappy numbering/labeling/identifying models ... Sigh ...

Maximum PC | Updated: 14 burning questions on Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset fiasco

This is a mild over-reaction, but it does go to what I've said about NOT being an early adopter.
    This could be an isolated incident or one in a series of issues that plague the newer chipsets for this platform...
    I'll take revision 3-4 with all the bugs worked out thank you...

Assuming ALL the bugs are worked out of Revision 3-4... LOL.

I have to be honest, this SATAII issue is looking really bad for Intel. Mobo manufacturers won't even have full inventories until April, apparently.

My opinion has almost reversed on Sandy Bridge, ironically. A stable 4.5GHz easily achievable (with the unlocked K version, obviously) on air? Hell yes. I want to overclock this beast to a stable 5.5GHz with some water cooling. I'd have my compilations compiling compilations compiling compilations... o.0

I have a feeling this DRM thing will just blow over, and if it doesn't...well, then torrentz are the answer, I suppose. If the studios want to lock their shit down to the hardware level and cause a scandal, then most people probably won't buy it.

Haswell looks amazing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information