+ Reply to Thread

RAM Upgrade Help (Ramdisk, Timings and More)

So I'm building a new computer, and I'm going to go with the cheaper 6 core i7 CPU instead of the generic 2600k. This CPU supports quad channel RAM and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best option overall for my choice of RAM. (Yes, I'll be doing a lot of HD video editing/encoding)

My biggest concerns are:
    a) Speed
    b) Overclocking/stability
    c) Cooling

I've got it narrowed down to:
    1) Corsair Vengeance Red 32GB - 4x8GB - 1866Mhz 10-11-10-27 - $570
    2) Corsair Vengeance (Black) 32GB - 4x8GB - 1600Mhz 10-10-10-27 - $280
    3) Komputer Bay 64GB - 8x8GB - 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - $490
    4) Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB - 4x4GB - 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - $92

A simple question to solve all this: What would the speed advantage of a Ramdisk be over 2 SSDs (500MB/s+ Read 400MB/s+ Write each) in RAID 0? I'm assuming for just about everything, especially video editing, the CPU would bottleneck long before either drive setup, but I've yet to use either so I could be wrong. If there's next to no difference, I'll just get 2 sets of Blue and save a bit, as I don't see it being possible for me to ever use just 30% of 32GB.

The Red isn't really an option due to it's price, but it does raise a question: out of the above, which is truly the "fastest"? I've done the math and even with the higher clock speed, the slower timings cause it to perform less calculations overall. I notice that in general, as the Mhz go up, so do the timings, which cause it to perform slower and run hotter. Am I missing something here, or what?

Finally, the KB RAM seems too good to be true. 8GB sticks running 9's at stock 1.5v (like every other set listed) for dirt cheap. What's the catch? They do come with low profile heat spreaders instead of the much better Corsair heatsinks, but I have RAM cooling fans, so they seem better, as I'm pretty sure the fans won't even fit over the Corsair units.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll have more to add later. I thank you in advance for your replies

EDIT: Forgot about another set of KB RAM, 8GB sticks - 1600Mhz - 10-10-10-27 but come with non low profile heatsinks. Slightly cheaper than the above set but would they be a worse buy because they're slower and wouldn't be fan cooled?
    Last edited by DirkAction; March 19th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hello and Welcome to TechIMO!

The real question here is why in the world do you want to spend that much money on ram when you said it yourself, you don't even need half as much?

I'd cut the ram in half, or less depending on what you want to do with it and get the faster i7 cpu, you will appreciate it more in the long run.

That or get less ram, but faster memory.

But the main point here is, what are you goals with this PC? Timings, bandwidth, ram amount, cpu speed all play different roles here, so depending on what you are doing, you may benefit from one setup over the other.

On that note, the only i7 based cpu less than a 2600k is a 2600, which is not what you want to get over the k model if overclocking is a concern.
    Last edited by SoloCamo; March 20th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Box: Intel Pentium G3258 / 4gb DDR3 1600 / Lubuntu 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430 / Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667 / Lubuntu 32bit

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry, I worded it oddly. I meant the cheaper of the 2 6 core CPUs, the 3930k. (Forgot the number when I wrote the post)

I really don't want to spend a fortune on RAM, that's why I'm asking around, hoping someone has a bit of knowledge about ramdisks and using them for things like video editing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information