+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how do you flash bios without an OS installed?

Abit K7T Mobo
    AMD Tbird 1.3GHZ
    256 SD RAM
    10G Maxtor HDD
    16X DVD
    no OS installed.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to flash my bios without any OS installed? I need to upgrade my bios before I can install, the system is too unstable, during Windows XP install, the system would crash.

I would think as long as you can access the A: drive(floppy) you could do it.
    Award bios has a utility you can put on a disk (awardflash).
    But, I just remembered, you have to do it from a DOS prompt.
    might have to put DOS on it and then do it..

In order to make a bootable floppy disk to flash bios, all you need is the bootable portion of the MS-DOS operating system without the additional system drivers and command line files. The trimmed down version of the "traditional" boot disk in this page will also be known as "simplified" bootable floppy disk.

Website such as www.Bootdisk.com provides several bootable disk images, and DrDOS7.X is the simplified bootable disk image file (without additional drivers) for flashing bios. To make a bootable floppy disk, download it first and execute drdflash.exe, insert a blank floppy disk when prompt and it will copy the bootable disk image onto the floppy disk. When that's done you can copy the bios files to that floppy disk. Restart the system and boot from floppy drive a: into pure DOS environment. Now you can begin flashing your bios.

Hope this helps!

Mike
    ~ Camp Crystal Lake counselor positions opening daily ~

I have tried booting from the floppy drive but it doesnt work.
    So how would I go about putting DOS onto the disk as well?

Read my post again...slowly! It's all there for ya...

Originally posted by <[o_0]>
    I have tried booting from the floppy drive but it doesnt work.
    What did you have on the floppy?

DrDOS 7.X is the simplified bootable disk image file (without additional drivers) for flashing bios. To make a bootable floppy disk, download it first and execute drdflash.exe, insert a blank floppy disk when prompt and it will copy the bootable disk image onto the floppy disk. When that's done you can copy the bios files to that floppy disk. Restart the system and boot from floppy drive a: into pure DOS environment. Now you can begin flashing your bios.
    Last edited by Martoch; August 26th, 2002 at 07:27 PM.

You may well need to tell your BIOS to boot from floppy...it's generally on the 'General' page, under 'boot order'. Set it to "A then C" or "Floppy drive then hard disk" or similar.

sorry I didnt see your message the first time around, I think we posted at the same time.

okay, well I didnt really expect such quick replies, i have to go get my system from the local repair shop 2mrrow, they suggested I buy a new mobo, ram and processor cause they couldnt figure out what was wrong, lol.

anyhow, thanks for the quick replies.

Si vis pacem, para bellum daveleau's Avatar
    Originally posted by <[o_0]>
    they suggested I buy a new mobo, ram and processor cause they couldnt figure out what was wrong, lol.
    Be very wary of these guys. Any store that says they can't figure it out and tells you to do this is a store that doesn't knwo what they are doing (at least int his instance).

If you have a Windows 98 boot disk, you can boot with that. If you do not have one, I am sure you can borrow one for this task. Put the AWDFLASH app on the floppy (assuming your BIOS uses AWDFLASH). You may need to go into the BIOS and set it to boot to floppy first. The boot order should be
    1- floppy
    2- hdd or other device
    3- hdd or other device

Be sure to have the BIOS bin file on the disk as well, or at least readily available on another disk. (The AWDFLASH app can be on another disk too, once you get DOS into memory, you do not need the boot disk again while flashing)

Then follow the instructions on flashing from your vendor.

Best of luck
    Dave

I agree with Daveleau, watch out for some of those repair guys! They're not all bad, but some of them are quick to suggest new hardware that they just happen to have in the store...anyhow, before you give up on your PC give us a shot. You'd be surprised how much knowledge is available here. I seriously doubt your motherboard, processor, and RAM are all bad.

Can you begin by telling us what went wrong? You say the system is too unstable...how did this all come about? How were you trying to install XP and how far did it get before the system crashed?

BTW, no problem about the posting...sometimes I watch this place like a hawk, just waiting for a fellow (wo)man in need!

This is actually the first time i've ever considered bringing my system into a shop. Usually I can fix these kind of problems on my own from just reading the techimo forums but lately ive just been way too busy to bother to research and figured it would be much easier to let someone else do it. Well i guess i was wrong.

It all started approximately 2 weeks ago when i decided to put a new system together from an old case and an abit kt7 mobo. I had an extra dvd rom, hdd and an old tnt pro. All i needed left was a processor and a stick of ram.

I bought the two missing items and installed all the hardware without a hitch until I started booting up the system. The mobo would constantly beep and no display would show up ( I eventually got the system to boot up this one time to install windows xp but during the install the system gave a blue screen error). i had thought that the video card was loose in its slot but that wasnt the case and than i thought to myself, perhaps it was the memmory but that wasnt a problem when i swapped working ones onto the mobo. Now I believe that it's my old KT7 mobo. Simply because in the manual it says the KT7 can only support up to only 1.2GHZ.

i figured I was screwed and thought i had to trash out a perfectly good mobo and buy a new one but after some reasearch, especially from this one site http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/f...#BIOS releases, i rememberd that i could flash the bios.

Now, another question, which bios version should i flash it with? and do i have to flash bios versions consecutively? ive never done this =(

What is the model number and current BIOS version?

I've attached a pic displaying where to find your model number on this post.

Where to find the BIOS version on this attachment.

Special notes on this attachment.
    These are all in your manual BTW.

here's the code at the bottom right of the screen during bios bootup.

08/24/2002-8363-686A-6A6LMA19c-4A

note: i flashed my bios to version 4a, bin downloaded from http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/f...#BIOS releases

the system seems more stable now. Im going to try and install win xp.

Also, I haven't checked the model number yet but i will if the install fails and also another note, I flashed the bios with runme.bat.
    Last edited by <[o_0]>; August 30th, 2002 at 10:09 AM.

Hey, sounds good...I lost we lost ya there for a while!
    Let us know how it goes.

okay well, some bad news, the system still gives errors about corrupted files during the boot disk initialization and it's not always the same files, it was the nfts.sys and then acpi.sys and some other .sys files (forgot).

note: i did change teh bios settings everytime to see if i could find the problem but no luck.

the very first time i got through all 6 boot disks of winxp a blue screen of error poped up about something called ACPI.

when i come back from work I will look into disabling ACPI or perhaps try a different bios. What else can i do?

note again: there is nothing wrong with the boot disk sice i used the same exact ones to install xp on my current system which is running without any problems.
    Last edited by <[o_0]>; August 30th, 2002 at 08:28 PM.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    I don't know if this has any relevance--but thr Abit KT7 comes in three versions: oddly, 1,2, and 3.

The 3 ver. MOBO has some HW diferences from 1 & 2 that prevent the installation of the CPU XP (as distinct from the OS XP).Those HW differences, I recall have something to do with timings and there was a Thread--unless I am confused--about this a few months ago when the 2 ver. was on sale at CompGeeks and I bought one.

I intend to install Win98SE Ed. on it--and later add a second Hard Drive to install OS XP, if I can (It is the raid version) making a Dual-Boot rig. (I have some HW and SW that XP won't support--ever.)

WHOOPS ! is this the KT7 or KT7A. I think it may have come in both he Via KT133 and KT133A chipsets.

Now I just woke up--but check what exactly you have: vers.,3 or 3 and model--mine is the KT7A. This may affect the choice of BIOS to which you can flash an upgrade. My Abit KT7A has a Pheonix D686 Bios.

(Go to "search" for the Thread.)

DOOOOG

okay the model number of the motherboard is kt7 v1.01 036030430-288x

and on the same sticket below the model number and serial
    there are 3 boxes, under the field 'p' there is a blue circled 6, under the field 'f' there is a blue 04 and under the field 'qa' field there is nothing.

and MegalosSkylaki, my motherboard is a KT7, no raid, and definately not a KT7A, just a regular KT7. i know the xp processor wont work on the mobo but i have a 1.3ghz athlon.
    Last edited by <[o_0]>; August 30th, 2002 at 08:24 PM.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Also, check out Pauls Unofficial Abit Site, which has moved to http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information