+ Reply to Thread

Thread: G3 vs Pentium

G3 vs Pentium

Have a quick question.....

I'm not quite sure how to compare Mac MHZ speed to Intel's. For instance what does/ did Intel make that is the closest equal to a G3 250MHZ ? Just asking about overall speed, not wich one perorms better given a certain test. Thanks.

A Pentium II/233 would be my answer.

This might give an idea ...

http://www.cpuscorecard.com/all_cpus.htm

(only a G3 700 in there, but if you rate a 250 a third you might get an idea)

CC.

Edit add: I think a little better than a 233MMX - good floating point I guess
    Last edited by quux; April 6th, 2003 at 04:32 PM.
    *** all that we C or Scheme is
    but a dream within a dream ***

So since the G3 700 and the Pentium III 800 rank the same...... then the G3 250 should be about about 285 in Intel land? 800 is 114% of 700 so 250 + 14% = 285

Found this on CPU Score Card...

Apple says that a PowerMac G3/300 scores 10.2 on the BYTEmark test, more than twice as fast as the 4.3 rating the Pentium II got, and 45 percent higher than a 400-MHz Pentium II. "The G3 is faster than the Pentium II when running very processor-intensive activities," said Platt.

However, data from Apple and NSTL indicate that because CPU performance is only one of many factors that contribute to system performance, users won't experience nearly the same increase in speed. In tests using Adobe Photoshop, which also stress a computer's memory architecture, disk, and video, Apple claims a 33 percent improvement over a similar 266-MHz Intel PC. NSTL found similar results using its Photoshop test when comparing the G3 to 266-MHz computers, but a 300-MHz G3 finished only about 5 percent faster than a PC using an AMD K6-2 processor.

"For activities requiring large amounts of processor-intensive memory manipulation, a Power Mac G3 is around 10 percent to 30 percent faster than a PC running at the same basic processor clock rate," Platt said.

Apple says that a PowerMac G3/300 scores 10.2 on the BYTEmark test, more than twice as fast as the 4.3 rating the Pentium II got, and 45 percent higher than a 400-MHz Pentium II. "The G3 is faster than the Pentium II when running very processor-intensive activities," said Platt.

This seems opposite what quux and Evil Rick posted.....

Hmm, I would not say opposite but that at least myself underestimated the G3 250. CC.
    *** all that we C or Scheme is
    but a dream within a dream ***

What about all those rumors of Apple using older non-optimized versions of photoshop when comparing PC and Mac platforms? Doesn't that throw a grain of salt into the algorythm of "Mac ALWAYS wins of this benchmark." There's a good article on Ace's hardware comparing Intel Pentium's to Mot/IBM G4's.

http://www.aceshardware.com/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information