+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Convince Me

Cool Convince Me

Aside from an old Z80, and my Apple IIE, I've always had an Intel based computer. Built all of them myself, starting in 1987. I've had my Pentium III 800eb for nearly 3 years now, and I'm just about ready to do an upgrade. All I need is the cpu and mob. Have everything else.

I've already scoped out a Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz 800 fsb @ 171.00 from Newegg. Also from Newegg, the ABIT IS7E, with the Intel 869PE chipset @ 108.00. That comes to $279.00 before tax and shipping.

Today, I started looking at the AMD Barton 2500+ @ 88.00 from Newegg, and the ABIT NF7-nForce2 spp @ 118.00. Now that comes out to $206.00 before tax and shipping.

Now aside from the almost $75 price difference, what are my advantages to going with AMD or sticking with Intel? I play a few hig-end sports games, like Madden and Links 2003. I also have a massive music collection, and watch DVDs on my system. My main reason for upgrading, is I plan to start doing some major video dubbing of my family videos from tape to DVD. I'm keeping an open mind. I'm about 2 weeks from making my purchase.

Thanking all in advance

Robert

Almost forgot. I also have a DLS connection, and have 4 other computers networked in the house (I have 3 kids) Cable connected upstairs with a Linksys router/firewall, and then the Linksys 2.4 Ghz wireless connecting point for downstairs and my daughter's laptop. I have a shared folder of music on my computer, plus the printers are in my room. My P3 handles this pretty good, but I thought I better lay all my cards on the table.
    "The philosphy of one century is the common sense of the next"

I left the Intel camp 3 years ago and have never looked back. The main reason you already covered (a difference in price of nearly $100). I use AMD on all my builds. I only do Intel if the customer wants it. I know you won't be disappointed if you try AMD.
    SimplyMepis 8.0. . . Kernel-2.6.27-1-mepis64-smp

Aye, I just made the AMD switch myself, same processor your looking at too, and AMD's overclock wonderfully, so you could boost your 2500 to a 3200 as long as you have some good cooling. Works awesome, save a crapload of money, and the 640kb of cache the "Barton" gives it awesome. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
    Procrastination is the universes way of telling us to slow down, your moving too fast. Don't wait, procrastinate now.

I appreciate the feedback. Here is one of the concerns I have about leaving the "Intel" camp. The game I LOVE the most, is Madden's NFL Football. I've been playing this game since Madden 97, and I'll be purchasing Madden 2004 when it comes out tomorrow. I've never had a problem with this game. but on the forum I go to on EA Sports, a lot of people do have problems, and the majority seemed to be AMD users. Also, my best friend had major heating problems with his 2 AMD computers (he lives in the Arizona desert) a couple of years ago. That worried me too, but he stuck it out, and seems to be doing much better with his newest AMDs, which he ordered from DELL. He doesn't build his.

Anyway, I am leaning toward the AMD now. Any support from the "Intel" camp out there?

Robert

Well, here's a vote for Intel...and for the extra $75 you are getting an 800MHz Front Side Bus, Hyperthreading (virtual dual procs), and one of the fastest available chipsets. But I'm not going to argue AMD vs. Intel. AMD is cheaper in your configuration...and most folks here will go the route of who has the fastest MHz for the money. Read through this article at Tom's Hardware Guide:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html

You'll see that even your 2.4 GHz proc bests AMD's fastest. To me, for $75, you get stability, hyperthreading, speed, Dual DDR 400, and the 2.4 easily overclocks to nearly 3.0 GHz...people have been able to up the FSB to 1000MHz with stock cooling.
    You get what you pay for.

AMD for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tortise and the hare baby, tortise and the hare

intel the faster Mhz hare, AMD slower mhz tortise, and winner!!!!

for what you wnat to do AMD all the way

Thank you, gentlemen. Rastorize, I really enjoyed the Tom's Hardware article. I've been paying close attention the FSB800 advantages for the P4s. I still haven't made my mind up, and probably won't until the last minute. Thanks again.

Robert

ok well my school built a intel pentium 4 2.4 ghz. He also built a athlon xp with 1.5ghz or so. Well i used both of them and i had more probs with the intel than i did with the amd. But i dont know. I would go for amd due to the fact they are awesome for there money. I heard a story the other day on techimo. The moral is amd has a bigger bucket than intel but intel moves his bucket faster. Well i hope it works out for you in the long run. My amd 2000+ works awesome.

Well, for what it's worth, I just purchased a Shuttle XPC 'mini' PC with a 2.4 GHz P4, the 800MHz bus, and the i865 chipset...upgraded from a 1.8 GHz P4 with a 400MHz FSB and 800MHz RDRAM...and the difference in speed is absolutely amazing! And, inside the little XPC case, using only a heat pipe and no fans, the CPU rarely hits 48C under a full load. You'll have no problems playing Madden's NFL Football.

The FSB speed combined with the dual DDR 400 and Hyperthreading, makes for one FAST PC.

Good luck with your decision!

Originally posted by dr_roberts49
    That worried me too, but he stuck it out, and seems to be doing much better with his newest AMDs, which he ordered from DELL. He doesn't build his.
    since when did Dell build amd systems

definitely get a 2.4C- it overclocks like no other. 1GHz fsb and beyond (fast)

Intel really flopped when they came out with the early P4 processors - I switched to AMD at that time & was very happy with the Duron, T-bird and XP machines I built.

Lately, Intel has really come back in a big way with the latest generation of P4's. My current machine is a P4 2.4B running on an Intel 845PE chipset, and its flawless.

My opinion is that on a budget system, the price difference makes AMD the preferred choice. However, on a medium to high end system that $75 price difference probably isn't a make or break thing. At that point it becomes a toss-up....... use whichever you're more comfortable with.

Compaq does. I think thats who he ment. Wal-mart has a nice little 2600+ setup for $499. Great for the non builder but junk to us enthusiest. yunno how it is. My one friend got one recently just cause A) was amd 2600+ for next to nothing B) he dont upgrade so that isnt a issue C) it came with Xp and free mon.....problem I see is it is stuck at 2600+ due to it not supporting any faster on the mainboard-has only 128mb pc2100 ram cas3 shared with video S3 integrated and well its video sucks. But hey-good cpu-lowsey system. hehe.
    R.I.P. TKOP
    You will always be in our hearts and thoughts. God bless.

I always had Intell too & switched to AMD... The AMD will run hotter & will probably make a little more noise. Heat could be a problem if you make poor case, powersupply or fan choices. My XP1900+ works very well + runs cool & quiet

Well, I just got an 2.4c w/an Abit IC7-G and Geil Golden Dragon pc3500 1 gig kit (2 x 512 for dual channel); I hit all the way up to 3.6 on air cooling! For overclocking, the new "c" series of p4s are unbeatable. I believe the average overclock for a 2.4 is between 3.2-3.4 ghz

So, if you factor that in, AMD can't touch it

I dunno why but my rust lies in AMD... Intel always has those tiny probs coming out 2 months after their releases...

I had 2 Intels and my 2 AMDs always worked better and had less CPU probs... so I'll always stick to AMD if Intel doesn't decide to get better...
    Do you also hear those voices?

I got talked into an AMD when I dicided to upgrade from my P3-1gig. went with a 2000+ then finally a 3000+ that is mildly overclocked. I use P4s at work. For their purpose the P4s work great. I have been running My 3000+ under a full load for 6 months at 2300Mhz with no problems. Intel is good but , for me, its amd for life..

Rick.

Thanks to all of you. You've given me a lot of good information to assimilate. As I get closer to purchase time, I'm sure I will have more direct questions.

Robert

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information