+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Also remember to update Ad-Aware and spybot

just click the update in each
    Lord of the Low Frequencies

bogus virus warning

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with bogus virus/spyware warnings popping up in the Windows notification box (WinXP)? I've managed to remove the bogus spyware program, so now when the notification is clicked it just takes me to the bogus spyware webpage, as opposed to actually starting the program. But the notifications simply won't go away. Oh, and I'm also still getting popups.

Thanks very much for any tips,

Ryan

Welcome to TechIMO.

Look in your Task manager and see if mssearchnet.exe or nvctrl.exe are running.
    HAve you used AdAware or Microsofts AntiSpyware (the new one dated 6-31-06)?

Yes, those two processes are running. Is it possible to track down where they're running from?

I've got Symantec AntiVirus, but nothing else. Sounds like I should look into that.

Thanks!

D/L Highjack this update and run.

Then cut and paste your log here

Remove any funkie objects.

EDIT:
    Welcome to TechIMO!
    Last edited by nomaxim; January 7th, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
    Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?
    -George Carlin

If those two processes are running then you have the Spy Axe virus.

Download the smitRem.exe file from this site http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic36868.html
    Then boot into safe mode and run the file.

That should take care of it for you.

Great! I'm all set now. Thanks Jarhed.

Your welcome, rycwil.

Blog Entries
    lol, I got an e-mail because I still had the subscription to this thread... thanks for the reviving a year old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ted61
    I have a 5 year old that clicks ok to everything that pops up. Needless to say, I was totally dominated by popups. Nothing worked in my quest to get rid of the popups. Some of the infected programs installed on my machine would not let me have access to delete them. I had to put the win2k install disk in then boot to pseudo dos to delete the corrupt files. That seems like a major security flaw to me btw.

I wound up installing windows on an f: drive for boot up. That solved my problem but my paths for running a few programs is a little off at times.
    To begin with...You should try a different browser than IE.

Opera is my preference but Firefox doesn't use ActiveX either. I've never had any spyware in all the years I've used Opera. Konqueror is another good browser that I love. Either of these and you never have to worry about such mundane things like spyware or viruses.

Linux helps also. I use SUSE and don't worry about any of this stuff.

Reading some of these threads around here it sounds like the beginning of the end but if you use a *nix distro you don't have to worry about any of these things.

jmo since it seems so many are so scared of this stuff and go to any lengths to rid themselves of it. I've just never heard anyone mention this previously in all the years I've been around.

Angry Beware Norton AV and Internet Sec

27 Months ago my computer got wiped out by viruses malware hackers trojans you name it. I was running Norton Pro Internet Sec. and was updated DAILY manually so I could SEE the updates taking place. I had renewed my sub with Norton only 3 months prior, Every great once in a while it would alert me that it had stopped some virus or malware, (just to show it was working), and then one day it went off like an uzi to check my logfiles immediately, well yeah because it had been reconfigured to let approx 525 viruses and variant , trojans, dialers and spys by. The logfile was full was the only reason it alerted me. Upon trying to clean and salvage sytem, (my company QuickBooks files, and all of my daytrading records, accounts, employee records etc. ) I set of a program called Hostile Response , and it wiped every thing out, 10 years of company records GONE not even a decimal place or dollar sign left. The computer tech here said it was like it never existed.. To top it off one of the @#$^%^&* that got into my machine STOLE the Norton subscription renewal, although it showed paid up until whatever on the view I had, I in reality had never got it. I contacted Norton about it and told them their system was basically wide open, they scoffed and blew it off until a couple of months later when similar occurances were so widespread they had to confess to a "hole" in their programs as big as Jupiter, In my opinion they are like AOL used to be...... a product of great publicists and advertising. Good Luck, when the people guarding us and our machines cannot be candid with their customers, it shows that they could really care less, except for the almighty dollar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VELTORX12
    27 Months ago my computer got wiped out by viruses malware hackers trojans you name it. I was running Norton Pro Internet Sec. and was updated DAILY manually so I could SEE the updates taking place. I had renewed my sub with Norton only 3 months prior, Every great once in a while it would alert me that it had stopped some virus or malware, (just to show it was working), and then one day it went off like an uzi to check my logfiles immediately, well yeah because it had been reconfigured to let approx 525 viruses and variant , trojans, dialers and spys by. The logfile was full was the only reason it alerted me. Upon trying to clean and salvage sytem, (my company QuickBooks files, and all of my daytrading records, accounts, employee records etc. ) I set of a program called Hostile Response , and it wiped every thing out, 10 years of company records GONE not even a decimal place or dollar sign left. The computer tech here said it was like it never existed.. To top it off one of the @#$^%^&* that got into my machine STOLE the Norton subscription renewal, although it showed paid up until whatever on the view I had, I in reality had never got it. I contacted Norton about it and told them their system was basically wide open, they scoffed and blew it off until a couple of months later when similar occurances were so widespread they had to confess to a "hole" in their programs as big as Jupiter, In my opinion they are like AOL used to be...... a product of great publicists and advertising. Good Luck, when the people guarding us and our machines cannot be candid with their customers, it shows that they could really care less, except for the almighty dollar
    That's exactly why you don't trust norton. I suggest usually AVG or sometimes avast. however, avast may conflict with zonealarm.

Best to run at least 2 or 3. They are different and some catch what others won't. I run Adaware and MS Anti-Spyware. Probably good to make sure they stay updated as well. The vermin that create these "wares' never quit.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I blogged about a new one that sunbelt found that tells users to call for an activation code. They've got some screen shots and more info posted on their blog
    Trojan delivers pay-by-phone extortion
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

I am agree with you, they having corrupted anti-spyware like Adware Alert, they don't provide us any information and also they don't give any guidance how to use their anti-spyware, when i was go to adwarealert.com, they ask me create a paid ID to download that bloody, rascal antiware
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 6th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.

I have dsl through my phone company and have there antivirus and antispyware. The other day I found out the wife had it shut off....great! geuss what, I got nailed with virusheat, not good. After it infected everything it wanted me to download there program to get rid of it. This I did not do. Iran my anti spyware and got rid of a bunch but virusheat is still there. Can any anti spyware get rid of it? I have read on google how to do it manualy, WOW this is scary. Would"nt you like to get your hands on these people. What do I do? please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by njnichol View Post
    I have dsl through my phone company and have there antivirus and antispyware. The other day I found out the wife had it shut off....great! geuss what, I got nailed with virusheat, not good. After it infected everything it wanted me to download there program to get rid of it. This I did not do. Iran my anti spyware and got rid of a bunch but virusheat is still there. Can any anti spyware get rid of it? I have read on google how to do it manualy, WOW this is scary. Would"nt you like to get your hands on these people. What do I do? please help.
    Go HERE to get ComboFix and a tutorial on how to use it.

Let me know if it doesn't take care of the problem.

Harder

Best pop-up stoppers, Firefox browser and pop-up stopper professional. If the pop-up is a Trojan forget it. It took me 16hrs of super hard work to clean my computer and that was with help from Techguys forum. Not easy so you might have to do a hard drive format. Have a question? I have been reviewing new spyware protection programs and ran across SpywareDetector. The folks on YouTube said it is bogus and I think I might agree since after I installed it I had a trojan called NARRATOR.DLL detected by Avast! {Best program ever and free} and also detected by SUPER ANTI SPYWARE {which is free and I just installed it}. I was also trying out Security Task Manager which is not a spyware detector but detects bad running processes which I am having a bad time with. I have to keep shutting down a process called Helpserv.exe which is not on my hard drive but spins my drive so fast it makes a truck sound. When I go to the windows task manager and end the process {everyday} it disappears. Security Task Manager doesn't seem that worth while so I deleted it. Do you all agree on the Spyware Detector software?

In the pursuit of some rootkit removal s//w, I came across this s/w. It seems to work as well as the rest. Just does it from start-up through boot rather than post-boot.

Yes, there is a shareware release of it as well but has a time limit.

Here for UnHack Me.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul; The other for your freedom

wow 10 years of records!!!!

I use Firefox, avg anti-virus ( Free ), ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, & some common sense

Nothing is 100% back stuff up!

even with back up no one likes to spend the time reinstalling everything on their machine, pain oh the pain.

a lot of good info in this thread, thanx everyone........

Aliens too
    Lord of the Low Frequencies

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information