+ Reply to Thread

Win10 being downloaded to you - whether you have opted in or not.

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'
    By Chris Merriman
    Thu Sep 10 2015, 12:17

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Although I don't agree with what MS is doing, forcing the download on users, but it is in a way convenient, if they should want to update to it, its already there, and don't have to wait to download it.

Its only taking up storage space with the download, and isn't being installed.

If they were doing that, THEN I'd be outraged, as I may not want to update my older copy of Windows to 10.

But I can understand the outrage right now, forcing users to download something they may not want to.

I had to get a laugh out of this pic shared the other day on a posting on FB about this, in regards to the topic, and other sneaky crap MS has been pulling with Windows 10 since its release.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -aajtfue-jpg  

What about people with data caps? Or limited HDD/SDD space?

True, and I can understand that, like I said I don't agree with what they are doing, but I can to a point understand, at least in one way, its there, easy to install if they choose, but its still not right to download with out permission.

Data Caps, limited drive space, the fact that some people just DON'T Want to upgrade to Windows 10, for example like my Windows 7 64-bit copy, I don't want to upgrade it to 10, I have two copies of 8.1 and I am only going to upgrade one of those to 10, the other will be on my brothers PC, and whether he wants to go to 10 or leave it with 8.1 will be up to him.

I may try and pick up another copy of 8.1 as well before its too late, so I have 7, 8.1 and 10 to choose from for using.

As it is, I still have Windows 3.11, 95b, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, XP MCE, not including Windows Phone OS 8.1 on my old WP, and then we will even have Windows RT 8.1 if we get that dang Tablet we won in a box of cereal a couple weeks ago.

The only one I don't have is Vista... go figure.

I've been experiencing the same on my work domain, a bunch of users would just have 3.7GB of traffic overnight and when InfoSec looked into it, well it's Microsoft and likely Windows 10. My issue is that many users have limited SSDs, i.e. 64GB and some 120GB, but still to waste that space and we're on a domain and no prompting whatsoever. I get it that WSUS could prevent, but if workstations are just set to auto download updates, Windows 10 shouldn't be one of them.
    Mobile: Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 | Desktop: Dell XPS 8300 | 3.4 Ghz Intel i7 | 16GB DDR3 | SSDs for LR photo editing

Myself, I've always had Windows Update set to notify my of updates and then choose to download and install if I want.

So far I've not had to deal with the Win10 download fiasco yet.

I'm one of those too, with a smaller OS drive, 74GB Velociraptor, after formatting its just under 70GB, usually only have 3-6GB free space on it now, with OS, Antivirus, and a few other important apps/programs, all of my games and other software installed on another drive, think a majority of my unexplained missing space is in My Documents, Windows stupidly defaults game save files for various games (or more precisely game developers do), and placed the folders on C Drive, some games like Elder Scrolls Skyrim can take up hundreds of MB's for saves, if you have a lot of them. So I periodically move larger downloaded Video files and others to another drive, delete excess old game saves, etc, and only every few months move the amassed pic files to another drive as well (online Video, and Picture hoarder).

But I'm hoping MS doesn't do that until after I move to my newer System, where I will be upgrading to 10 (from 8.1), and do a reinstall of 7 on this system or another one in the future.

Other than DX12 for gamers, there is NO reason to "upgrade" to that spyware which is known as Windows 10.
    WHUT?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information