+ Reply to Thread

Services and controller app?

What is the 'services and controller' app? I just got cable and installed Zone Alarm. I don't know what this app is. It's trying to access the net. Any ideas?

I see that it's some kind of windows web component.

Could be a few things. More than likely it's DNS. Does ZA tell you ports that are being used?

I recommend Sygate's Personal Firewall myself. I think it gives you a lot more info as to what is doing what, and where it's wanting to do it.

EDIT - I think DNS goes through "svchost.exe" instead of "services and controller app".

The "Services and Controller" allows your PC to query a DNS server so you can use the site name instead it's IP address.

If it's not allowed to access the Internet, you won't be able to use DNS lookup to translate the numerical IP address.

DNS Lookup

I am trying to learn more about what a DNS Server exactly is, what is the difference in using the site name instead of its IP address and if it is important and why it would be important to translate the numerical IP address.

Thank you so much, as you can see I really don't quite understand it just yet.

Did you try Google yet? Siliconjunkie's Avatar
    Think of dns as 411, you call and ask for John Smiths phone # and they tell you the # they have. DNS is the same. Your PC asks the DNS server for the address for www.foo.com and the DNS server tells it he address it knows for it.
    My computer is bigger than yours!

Is it important to have the DNS info? Is it necessary for Zone Alarm Services and Controller App to be able to access this? I can surf the net without letting this Zone Alarm "Services and Controller App" have access to the internet, so I was wondering what exactly the DNS info was used once it was given.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information