+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did I break something? Ultra100 TX2.

I have a Promise Ultra100TX2 card that I use for my 200 gb drive. I did until today, anyway. My problem is that the pci slot in which I plugged in the promise card was right next to my AGP slot...and that isn't good when I was considering upgrading to a 9800 xt. The 9800 xt needs more space around it, so today I was checking to see if I could move this Promise card to another slot.

It didnt look like the card would fit into the other PCI slots, they were longer than the one I usually used. I tried it anyway, though, and sure enough, It physically fit into one of these long slots. It didn't slip into the slot as easily as it did in the other, shorter one, but I could still put it in there. On these long PCI slots though, the card didn't fill up the whole space...

So I tried booting up, and when I was booting, the screen where I get the rotating cursor and it detects the 200 GB hardrive was still there, so I thought it was working, but then I opened windows explorer, and the hard drive did not show up there. I opened device manager too, and I couldn't see any problems. I hadn't changed any configurations.

That evidently didn't work, so I tried another one. That one didn't work either, so then I gave up and put it back into the slot it was in before. I assumed everything would be working fine, because I didn't change anything, so I didn't even bother checking windows explorer. It was only when I tried starting up a game that was on the E: (the 200 GB) drive that I noticed that it hadn't been detected in windows. I hadn't changed any configurations, so I'm wondering now if I could have messed something up when trying the card in those different PCI slots.

The hard drive I have XP on is a 36.7 GB scsi drive. This machine is actually an IBM workstation, a Zpro, 2.8 ghz.

Ultimate Member
    Maybe you could go into the bios and do the "rest escd" thing...to force everything to find new IRQs. Definitely worth a try.

And definitely also if you have the serial ports or parallel ports turned on in the bios..then turn them off to free up some IRQs
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Need to double check the user manual. Many controller cards need to be in the first pci slot. I have the TX2000 which states it'l work in any slot. But, yours stopped working when you move it
    Yeah I guess I should have

Maybe you could go into the bios and do the "rest escd" thing
    Hm...I went into the bios and I couldn't find that. Which menu option is it usually under? I did disable those paralell and serial ports, though.

So I just checked device manager, and the card shows up in there, under SCSI controllers. It says its working fine...

But heres the deal, then I went under Computer manament-->Disk Management, and my 200 GB shows up there as a unknown partition.

It says on the left column, where the icon is:
    Disk 0
    Dynamic
    Unreadable

I right click on the disk, and It has an option that says "Convert to basic". I clicked that, but then it says I will loose all the data I have on the disk if I do that. The problem is, I have some stuff on the disk that im not trying to loose. Is there anyway I could...get this thing working again without converting it to "Basic"?

Oh, and It also lists that as a SCSI when I click on the properties....Im guessing thats because of the card.

My Promise 133 card [Maxtor] is recognized as a scsi device.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    Benjamin Franklin

IMO, you'll need to re-run the Windows CD and do a "repair"
    FaD Team 2215 ~ Christianboards.org
    "Those who fight the hardest have the most to lose"

Ok I see. Alright, I guess Ill try that windows repair thing.

By the way though, do I actually need to use this card if I have a free IDE slot on my motherboard? If so, is it because its 200 GB? I heard most mobos dont support larger than 137 GB drives.

Ultimate Member
    If you have a really newish motherboard....an ATA133 motherboard..you may not need the pci card.

---

The escd is probably in the "plug and play" section of the bios.

It may be called "Reset Configuration Data"

Just set it to yes and then reboot.

ahh, mines ata100, oh well.

I couldn't find the rest escd or "reset configuration data" thing in my bios. My bios menu only has a few options really

Devices and I/O ports - (I found some IRQ stuff under this one, but nothing resembling that stuff. I found one thing that said FDC controller though. Should I try disabling it, restarting, then enabling it and restarting it again?)
    Start Options- the boot order and stuff.
    Advanced options - this one only has power managment and chipset features

Im still looking for my windows CD...do you think thats gonna work?
    Last edited by MoboNewb; February 21st, 2004 at 04:53 PM.

Ultimate Member
    no.... fdc is floppy disk controller

You might not have the option then...ahhh..an IBM..maybe it just has a sparse bios....though it could be in "chipset features" if you have that.

You MAY even resort to resetting the bios witht he reset jumper...which will have the same effect in that it makes the devices "fight for" the irq's again...same as resetting escd.

Of course you might want to look around in the bios and see how stuff is set cuz youll have to redo it all when you reset it.

ok ill try that. So you think my hard drive lost its spot after I moved stuff around? and now theres no spot for it?

Its wierd that it detects the hard drive when it boots up though.

My drive used to sometimes dissapear on my TX100Ultra, I assumed that when you boot up again you can`t see an entry for your Promise card in Dev manager.

Restart in safe mode, remove all promise entries from dem manager. Restart and try installing the card again with the driver from the floppy.

Ultimate Member
    Well..am just saying it could be a slight issue....not sure at all. But some pci cards are funny about sharing irq's etc. They may detect ok but then when they try to actually do something they mess up

Re: Did I break something? Ultra100 TX2.

Originally posted by MoboNewb

It didnt look like the card would fit into the other PCI slots, they were longer than the one I usually used. I tried it anyway, though, and sure enough, It physically fit into one of these long slots. It didn't slip into the slot as easily as it did in the other, shorter one, but I could still put it in there. On these long PCI slots though, the card didn't fill up the whole space...
    It sounds as if your trying to put a 32 bit PCI controller into a 64 bit slot.
    I don't think that will work.

WB

Originally posted by MoboNewb
    Its wierd that it detects the hard drive when it boots up though.
    Shows you the card is working but windows can`t find it.

Ultimate Member
    I thought a 32 bit card would work ok in a 64 bit slot?

Is there any sort of special configuration needed in the bios for that maybe? I thought it was auto backward compatible?

Ultimate Member
    32-bit cards work in 64-bit slots alright ... as long as the card's voltage is correct. Slots and cards are keyed, so had this been wrong, it wouldn't have fit.

Very probably Windows needs the controller card's driver newly installed after putting it into a different slot - and equally probably you'll need to reactivate the volume in Storage Manager after you did that.

And if everything shows up here and there correctly, just the drive won't cooperate, then check the IDE cabling again. Are the plugs all the way in? Did you pinch the cable (easily done when opening/closing the case)?

Originally posted by Peter M
    32-bit cards work in 64-bit slots alright ... as long as the card's voltage is correct. Slots and cards are keyed, so had this been wrong, it wouldn't have fit.

Very probably Windows needs the controller card's driver newly installed after putting it into a different slot - and equally probably you'll need to reactivate the volume in Storage Manager after you did that.

And if everything shows up here and there correctly, just the drive won't cooperate, then check the IDE cabling again. Are the plugs all the way in? Did you pinch the cable (easily done when opening/closing the case)?
    Oh really? Score.

So when you say reactivate...does that mean that I loose all my data? (I assume reactivate means converting it from dynamic to basic)

And If I just moved it to one slot, then moved it back to the old slot, will I still need to reactivate, loosing all my data?

And Im pretty sure I didn't pinch anything. The card has 2 ide slots, and Ive even tried both of them.

John:
    About resetting the motherboard, I just checked the manual from IBM, and they didn't say how I could do that. Maybe its not supported? And if i flash it, do I have to write down every setting so I can configure it back, or will the default settings function still be intact?

And I checked the chipset features...It wasn't in there either .

so...my patience ended, and I just tried converting it to basic. Now Im only getting 128 GB out of it. Wtf?

My apologies.
    I'm only familiar with 64 bit PCI slots from the small amount of reading i've done on daul CPU boards. I had thought they were not backwards compatable.

MoboNewb, sorry I can't be of help. Here's a bump to keep it up top.

WB

Ah finally, I just got it working again (on one of the 64 bit PCI's too). Lost all my data though .

Heres what I think happened. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but I think somehow an old version, not the one I downloaded and installed before, got installed. Thats why it wouldn't do the 200 GB. And maybe thats why my card got confused and couldn't read my partition, because it was larger than 137 gb. What a shame, I had some good stuff on that drive. Oh well.

Thanks for the help though, guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information