+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

Hard Drive issue?

I'm not sure if my HDD is going bad or not. I started having problems with UT locking up a few days ago, and I started a thread about it: http://www.techimo.com/forum/t10547.html

Now though I'm beginnning to wonder if the HDD is the problem. The reason I'm wondering is I've basically eliminated all possiblity of a software problem, except at windows level, (on both 98 and XP!) and I've also pretty much eliminated the possibility of any other hardware having a problem. See, I'd installed UT under both Win98 and WinXP, each in it's own respective partition. However the game was locking up under both OSes. And now what really makes me suspect the hard drive is several times now in the last day or two WinXP has locked up while I was doing nothing heavier than transfering files or installing UT. Each time it just froze up solid. No BSOD, no error message, no nothing. And this is WinXP!! Also both times the HDD LED indicator stayed on. Why?? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree..... Anyone else ever have any expriences like this?

BTW, for my system specs you can check the thread I started about UT...

mickwish
    If you want to check the physical components of your HDD with software, try OnTrack's Data Advisor - it works reasonably well picking up errors.

Ultimate Member
    Thanks. I'm downloading the evaluation copy right now to try it. If it doesn't show up any problems with my HDD, do you have any idea what else to check in this case? I've tried just about everything I can think of short of reinstalling Windows to take care of the issues. The only reason I haven't tried that yet is because (as I said earlier) the lockup problems are happening in both Win98 and WinXP, and each is installed on it's own partition - and the XP partition is even formatted NTFS!

mickwish
    If you checked system files using system file checker (type sfc at the run prompt), and came up OK, then maybe you could give the whole shebang a bit of a look over with an evaluation copy of Sandra.

I don't personally find Sandra very helful sometimes, but others swear by it.

Another thing to consider is RAM - bad RAM can cause all sorts of errors, 'specially when handling file transfers - check your RAM by using DocMem

Hope this helps - frustrating to have problems like this...

Ultimate Member
    Well, I tried to run the Data Advisor, but all I got from that was a message saying my license has expired, and I need to buy a new one. It's probably not the HDD anyhow, but I just don't know what to try anymore. Guess I'll check out the memory. That's one of the last Items I'd suspect though because I've got Crucial ram...

Ultimate Member
    Okay, I ran the DocMem program and my RAM showed up just fine. I'm fairly certain it's not the HDD. The sound card and graphics are also not the cause of the lockups, but I'm fairly sure it has to be a hardware issue, since it's happening under both OSes. That leaves the Mobo and the PSU. (got any other ideas?) I'm beginning to suspect the PSU. It's an Enlight 300W, but right from the start I got the feeling it was kind of cheaply made, especially the connectors on it... I'll test my friend's 350w Sparkle to find out.

Are you sure that it's not the RAM. I've had locking up problems in games and it was always the RAM.

Are you OC with the FSB or with the multiplier. Try clocking down the RAM. Also what settings do you have the RAM at? What CAS level? Try manipulating that to a more conservative setting. Actually try manipulating all the RAM settings to the most conservative settings. If it still locks up then I would eliminate the RAM as the problem.

Ultimate Member
    Actually try manipulating all the RAM settings to the most conservative settings. If it still locks up then I would eliminate the RAM as the problem.
    That's exactly what I've done, in addition to running some tests on it. That's why I've eliminated the RAM as the problem. But thanks for the idea all the same. I really do appreciate the effort on your part to help out.

Just a stab in the dark, but have you checked the virtual memory settings? I would think that if this is the problem that you would be getting out of memory errors or something. But maybe it is turned off or set too low?

Probably not the problem but worth checking.

Ultimate Member
    Actually, when these problems first started happening the VM was still set to unlimited. I set specific sizes - twice my physical RAM (2x256=512) - and that didn't help either. Oh, and after I did that Sandra 2001 said the size is too big, and suggested I make it smaller, which I didn't do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information