+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

Question Plextor 40x12x40 or TDK 32x10x40?

I'll be putting together a new computer in a few months. I saw that the TDK on sale and I was wondering if I should go for it. I've been looking a the Plextor for a while but do I really need what it offers for a higher price?

Thanks in advance.

I would highly recommend the Lite-On 32x/12x/40x....it beat out a new plexor 40x/12x/40x in the April issue of Maximum PC http://www.maximumpc.com/mag/in_this_issue.html (sorry just a link to prove it was reviewed...no news story) but it did receive the "kick ass product" award by the magazine + costs much much less. I personally am biased towards this burner cause I have one...I also have a plexor 24/10/40 and a yamaha YAMAHA CD-RW 24x10x40, MODEL# CRW3200EZ....dude for the money (and ask around) you can not beat a Lite-on burner! My geeky two bits, but if your interested, New egg has em posted for $85 + $8 s/h..... check it out : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1336&DEPA=1 (They also have the new Lite On 40x/12x/48x...I am sure it kicks ass too, but I can not vouch for that one yet as I know no one who owns or has reviewed it as of yet....but you could be the first! )......cheers!!!

hifi
    Lian-Li PC1100 Plus
    DFI-NF4 Ultra-D
    A64 3700+ San Diego @2750 1.5Vcore
    XFX GeForce 7800GTX
    2X WD 74GB Raptors
    OCZ PC-4000 VX Gold 4X512

Cant be sure about the 32x TDK but the 8x,12x,and 16x TDK ide burners are re-badged plextors.
    lynch
    Seldom right,but never in doubt...

I too highly recommend the LiteOn burners.
    I have used several in builds and all work flawlessly.
    Tough to beat the price also!
    MAX

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll be sure to look into Lighton burners. I have a friend who has the TDK 32x, I'll see if it is a rebadged Plextor when I get a chance.

I believe a 40x12x48 Liteon goes for around $117 + shipping..

I got one in my main machine and it's FAST!.. and it beats out or matches the Plextor brand from what I've read

i have a 16x10x40 tdk velocd and i love it. never made a coaster with one under either win98 or win2k, plius they give you a full version of nero.

tdk's are not rebadged plextors, no plextor i've ever seen has a translucent blue tray and a bubble door.

No, actually I've heard from various sources and read in various magazines the older TDK's are indeed rebadged Plextor's. And that's a good thing. I'm using the word "rebadged" loosely though. The TDK does look different than the Plextor on the outside. But it was all Plextor on the inside. Apparently they've switched manufacturer's though and are now having someone else make drive for them.

My question is does Lite-On make a good CD-ROM? I've got a 48x A-Open that lasted little more than a year.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Where's Lunch?

I have started using Plextor and I wouldn't buy anything else. I say go with the Plextor, faster than the TDK and it looks better too. Just my opinion though.

LiteOn, Plextor, TDK are all using SANYO technology and parts.

They all use Z-CLV/BURN-Proof technology and what sets them appart are firmware and motors. Optics and controlers are the same.

Plextor has a tradition in burners but all is now left is the premium name (and certainly NOT the quality).

TDK is focus in the more stylish sector and appeals to their great aesthetics.

LiteOn is the budget part of the family, yet lacks neither quality nor features compared to the other two.

All three built good drives but LiteOn gives the best value for money as it offers no less than the others but at a significantly lower price.

Personally I always look for innovation, and speed jumps especially in the form of Z-CLV (useless for audio CD's -as BURNProof- as it creates gaps on the disc) are certainly not very innovative. Yamaha is left as the only innovator in the sector, using P-CAV, 8MB cache, Audio master technology (and this is NOT a firmware trick like Plextors VariREC), Mnt Renier support (for seamless packet writing) and multi-platforms connectors (for SCSI int/ext firewire/USB2 convertors to fit your needs after purchase).

So if you're thrilled by brand name or shear speed, then any of the above drives will do with the LiteOn being the smartest buy. If you're looking for something better then the Yamaha is the alternative.

Ultimate Member
    I'm using a old, non burnproof, Yamaha 8x8x24x right now. It's been pretty good. I have burned coasters but that has been due to software problems. I've never really heard of Lighton before until recently, but I'll be considering them in the future.

Thanks everyone.

Always been with Plextors here but the Lite-On's sure sound like a sweet deal... maybe Ill give it a try

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    Originally posted by otheos
    LiteOn, Plextor, TDK are all using SANYO technology and parts.

They all use Z-CLV/BURN-Proof technology and what sets them appart are firmware and motors. Optics and controlers are the same.

Plextor has a tradition in burners but all is now left is the premium name (and certainly NOT the quality).

TDK is focus in the more stylish sector and appeals to their great aesthetics.

LiteOn is the budget part of the family, yet lacks neither quality nor features compared to the other two.

All three built good drives but LiteOn gives the best value for money as it offers no less than the others but at a significantly lower price.

Personally I always look for innovation, and speed jumps especially in the form of Z-CLV (useless for audio CD's -as BURNProof- as it creates gaps on the disc) are certainly not very innovative. Yamaha is left as the only innovator in the sector, using P-CAV, 8MB cache, Audio master technology (and this is NOT a firmware trick like Plextors VariREC), Mnt Renier support (for seamless packet writing) and multi-platforms connectors (for SCSI int/ext firewire/USB2 convertors to fit your needs after purchase).

So if you're thrilled by brand name or shear speed, then any of the above drives will do with the LiteOn being the smartest buy. If you're looking for something better then the Yamaha is the alternative.
    i concur quite heartily w/otheos. yamaha is one of the few innovators in the cd burner market. while the plextors are also very good, the recent crop of plextors show clear evidence of compatibility problem with some cd brands...most notably the cmc magnetics. in fact, if you go to the plextor website, cmc is NOT on their list of recommended cd brands. and before you lightly brush off cmc, be aware that they are one of the largest cd media makers in the world...chances are that quite of few brands (including imation) are oem'd cmc disks.

we use plextors at work and i have an old 4x plextor which is still working on an old machine, but when i was shopping for a new burner a few months ago, i choose the yamaha (cdw3200e) over the plextor (and other brands) because the yamaha did offer some innovative features. esp the amqr (audio music quality recording) feature which burns superior audio cd's.

and as otheos mentioned, the yamaha is one of the few p-cav drives today. p-cav technology is more expensive & much more technically challenging to implement...hence yamaha's 'late' entry of their high-speed burners in the marketplace in relation to their numerous z-clv counterparts.

if you want the very best, get the yamaha. prices have fallen a bit and there is rebate active til the end of april. otherwise, if you are looking for a budget burner, the lite-on does get some very good grades.

i have a tdk 16x10x40 for a year now no problems . no coaster made just my opion i think they are the best

jak
    for reference, i have a tdk and love it, the only coasters i make arent the burners fault, its windows fault heh
    http://gorillasmashserver.com {Gorilla:Smash:Server}
    Share your scripts, ideas, talents, questions, and concerns!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information