+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

flash drive broken - need to repair/recover

so today the usb stem of my flashdrive broke, so now i can't connect it to my PC and i have alot of important files on there. So how would i repair this or get the data off the flashdrive

Wire wires to it

Since there are four connecting points on a usb device of any sort, what I would say is just use four peices of wire and solder them to each of the connectors on the actual flash drive and then sloder the other end of the wires to the corresponding terminals on the part that plugs into the computer. The only problem with this is that you can "pop" a device that is on flashdrives that keeps the power flow to the flash drive consistent. If in the proccess you didn't "pop" the device than you should be able to get the data off of it.

mya

snapped flashdrive

My brother stepped on my flashdrive and snapped it in two. Is there a way to fix it or a company I can send it to to be fixed?

Mya

It depends on where it was broken. Since most usb keys are a single pcb slab with a strip extending out into the USB connector, you can get someone who is handy to re-solder it together, and remove your data. While it can be reused, I would suggest that you do NOT trust it to anything valuable.

Here is a article with pics of a USB key and the repairs the writer did(his was a separate issue, the chip had come away from the PCB). To repair a broken USB flash drive - Tips & Tweaks

Sending it off to a company is feasible, but unless your willing to pay about $100 per key, it really isnt an option.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Talking Broken Flash drive

A friend of mine had one sticking out of a computer and someone kicked it by accident. The usb plug was bend to the side quite a bit and t did not work. I took the cover off and found 2 of the solder pads for the usb port were torn from the circuit board and one of the bent solder pieces on the USB plug was broken off. I thought about trying to solder a USB cable on to the connections. But when I scraped off the coating to make the solder connections for the cable I realized that the gap from the missing pieces was close enough if I bent the connectors on the USB port a little I could just bridge the gap with a little solder. I soldered a short piece of cable to replace the broken connector. It worked and I got the data off.

I am getting old and needed a magnifying glass to work on the small stuff.

or you could buy another flashdrive.

daft

Quote Originally Posted by CyndyHN View Post
    I wholeheartedly recommend spam site removed.
    All of my files were recovered from my broken flash drive -
    their communication, service and results are excellent.

I wholeheartedly recommend you just go and buy another drive
    thats madness paying that much when u can buy a new one for a fraction of the price
    regardless of how good they are
    then again u maybe be working for them
    Last edited by RicheemxX; April 19th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeluzioNFX View Post
    so today the usb stem of my flashdrive broke, so now i can't connect it to my PC
    Great question! Cost per gb is high. In fact, it's $2.50/1gb. Same capacity as DVDs, but you can put it in a shirt pocket or hangaround your neck. Well, woopeedoo. I could get a mini external HDD for $100/500gb and wear it around my neck like I am Mr.T. Also, if you have a CF/SD card reader, you could use that instead. And if the USB connector breaks on it, you just remove the card from it. BTW, doesnt every new PC come standard with CF, SD card readers anyway?
    Last edited by Gomar; March 2nd, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by mailburner View Post
    thats madness paying that much when u can buy a new one for a fraction of the price
    Look smart guy, everyone knows a new flash drive is inexpensive. It's the data that needs to be extracted from the broken one not trying to repair it just to have it.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    I'm sure others here may think that I'm like a broken record, but:

If you've got files that aren't backed up, then you can't call them important....any data that isn't included in a backup plan cannot be called important...

If the files on the flash drive are duplicated (or backed up) copies it doesn't matter, and you wouldn't need to spend any more than the cost of a replacement device.....that alone would save you $$$$$ in the event of data loss - for whatever reason..
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Gee, sounds like a flame war is developing around a lowly flash drive.

In order to prevent this, da DooG DOOG will offer his FREE* overnite service wherein I will use my 5,000 times superior Ofactory Epithelium to smell the data off the flash. This ia a modern update of the ancint DooGlian art of Snoutgolingo, wherein ideas are not communicated by WooFing but by smellling them.

FIDO Services,
    MegalosSkylaki
    Founder and Pres.,
    CEO and Chief Technical Officer

* S & H $69.95
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Quote Originally Posted by mailburner View Post
    It's not the flash you are paying for. It's the information that's on it. Do you not understand that?

Broken USB flash drive

I broke my usb drive with my knee in college and the bottom just snapped off, is there anything I can do to fix it or is it gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD308 View Post
    I broke my usb drive with my knee in college and the bottom just snapped off, is there anything I can do to fix it or is it gone forever.
    Relax, you can a 4GB flash drive for $16 these days! Smaller ones are much cheaper. I've seen a full GB for $6.

Alas, it is "gone forever", but it's no biggie!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD308 View Post

If it's just the plastic cover, then you can glue it back on or tape it. I've got one that was stepped on and the plastic got crushed but the board itself was fine.

Another one went through the washer and drier and the "case" came apart. A couple of drops of super glue and it was as good as new... (and the data was clean too, I just couldn't resist )

btw, I ended up putting some heat shrink tubing on the crushed one, a hairdryer on low is enought to snug it up.

flash drive appears dead!

i left my computer hibernating for three days, switching it on and off ever so often while my flash was plugged in all the while. i then ran a scan and accidentally pulled out my flash drive while the scan was running. i didn't plug it back in at that moment........... two days later i plugged in the flash and my pc does not show the flash drive as registered into a usb port. Is my information gone? what can i do to retrieve the info on my flash. why isn't the flash drive showing up in "my computer" and the light is not illuminating?

i left my flash plugged in while my comp was hibernating and i kept switching my comp on and off all during the time.....i eventually ran a scan and accidentally pulled out the flash in the middle of the scan........i didn't plug it back in........two days later i plugged it in and the light illuminated upon entering and then it stopped and teh flash is not detected by my comp........is there anyway i can retrieve the info on my flash? is it spoilt?

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Hi, and WELCOME TO TECHIMO - from the Folding@Home Team [#111]...!

There's no point in double-posting (we don't have SLAs) unless you're adding new info..

Have you tried using a different computer, to see whether the USB stick is still working..?

There are ways to retrieve data from dead flash drives, along with "regular" disk drives, but it would cost you a fair bit.........which is where a restore from backup comes in - as it will save you a small fortune...!
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Ah yes, my flash drive broke recently too. I was wondering how to fix it. I already went to a computer store and they said it was impossible to fix. I have extremely important files in there, and, silly me, I didn't get a back-up! I'm not a genius, as I read that in some cases the flash drive can be fixed and other cases it won't.
    This was my case: I plugged in the flash drive, as always, to the computer. When the light wouldn't light up, I panicked. I pulled the flash drive in and out multiple times, but it just wouldn't work! Would this be impossible to be repaired?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You should always choose the option to safely remove devices before unplugging the drive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information