+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile SATA Control - Can I use a SATA PCI card with my motherboard.

Hello, I have a Dell 670 Workstation and recently installed a PCI Sata controller card (Adaptec ASH-1205SA). I have 2 Sata ports on my motherboard and 2 on the PCI card. I have 2 HDD's and a DVD player I want to set up on the system (thats why I bought the card) but can't get all three to work because when I boot up the PCI card will be recognized first and will only allow me to run two channels(Primary and Secondary). Is there any way to run the motherboard Sata channels with the PCI card so I will be able to utilize all four (or three) ports? Or do I need to get another PCI card. I'd hate not to use the motherboard ports because they are faster and would like to run my HDD's off of them.
    Any answer would be great, Thanks

Couple of guesses:

Look in the BIOS for Boot Sequence and make sure the new card isn't the first one listed.

Look in the new controller's setup and if there's an option to disable being the boot device....
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

The new PCI card should not bump the onboard SATA ports from the system.

If you are not starting from the card, make sure that "SCSI" is not even in the boot sequence. If you are already starting the PC from the onboard SATA ports, nothing should change.

Most BIOS setups allow you to select a particular hard drive to start from. Be sure that you select the correct one.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; February 4th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Great Idea (forgot about the boot sequence) but nothing, and has a simple setup. Setup is in the control panel which I thought was odd, and seems to just moniter what is pluged into the card. Deactivated the Raid controller in device manager and it will still boot up before everything else. I guess the card is old (has a 2002 driver). Maybe thats the prob. Any Ideas about a card that might work, I appreciate any thoughts on the matter, THANKS

Dell has a great online chat support Dell Support Home Page they might be able to help you.

NEVER try to manage boot sequence or RAID controllers from *within* Windows. Re-activate the RAID controller.

You cannot manage storage controllers in Control Panel or Device Manager. You do that in BIOS setup.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

But I have nothing in BIOS to control the PCI card, I'm not running a raid system at the moment. Thanks for the advice, guess it was an act of deperation to see what it would do. Out of guesses.

It's called RAID for convenience only. A RAID card can be used for RAID or non-RAID. They used to be called "SCSI" cards before XP. That doesn't mean that they were SCSI then either. It's just easier than calling them "3rd-party storage controllers", which is what they are.

You can control the boot sequence in BIOS Setup. Just make sure that it's set to the onboard drive first.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Cool, so I need to find this card in my BIOS, Right?

Not in the boot sequence. When I got the card it installed the "RAID" controller, so I thought it might fix the situation, I was wrong. I guess there is no way to make the card like a IDE setup with 2 different sets of primary and secondary ports?

Of course it is! That's what the card is for. Please stop using IDE as an example. This thread is confusing enough without that reference.

If your PC is already booting from SATA and you got into Windows to see the card in Device Manager, what is the problem?
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Sorry lost my way, I am not starting from the card, and SCSI is not in the sequence. It will boot before everthing. Thanks for the Help, will have to take a good look at my BIOS to see if I can figure it out.

Prob. is that I cant use the card with 2 ports and my motherboard ports together to run all 4 ports

Yeah, confusing myself here, not a expert and learning.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; February 4th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Your card may be classed as something like "Other boot device".

Thanks, but other boot devise was not present in BIOS. The only way I got it to work was to turn RAID on in BIOS and configure each drive, but not build an array. There each drive was present in the boot sequence, so I listed the HDD's as 1 and 2(On the motherboad), then the DVD player as 3(PCI CARD). It worked flawlessly until I wanted to shut down and boot to the other O/S on drive 2. From there it got a little messy, I had to turn RAID off to boot to my other O/S (which is 64 bit) because it does not recognize the PCI card. It booted fine, I did what I had to do on that system then shut it down, turned RAID back on tried to boot the 32 bit O/S and got to the desktop and just the picture, no icons or toolbar. guess its some kind of conflict. Whatever -- like I said I'm still learning. But I did get it to work. For a second.

By the way I spent 3 days on this and fried one of my O/S's so if you see this I would not recommend being careless such as I was.

Any comments on the errorors I made are welcome, Thanks

Just to be clear, you did get into the cards BIOS as well as the motherboards BIOS didn't you?

I didn't see that mentioned, but implied, unless the RAID was on the motherboard.
    Last edited by stroyal; February 11th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

RAID was on the motherboard

Card has no Bios, Just a monitor in control panel that has no effect.

I think the only way I got the 3rd Sata to work is that I used a different RAID controller than the one provided by the PCI manuf. . All I can think is that these two had conflict even though I checked(seemed like brothers) . When I tried to reboot the confilct took place. In safe mode I cant even find the newer controller. I know I'm making things way to complicated for myself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information