+ Reply to Thread

External Hard Drive not recognized

I have been trying all day trying to get my external hard drive to be recognized by WinXp but its not working and really beginning to me.

I check the Device Manager and can see my Maxtor HD there, but when I click My Computer its not there.

Also when I click the USB controllers in device manager I can't see the USB Mass Storage, whereas I can see all the other USB devices.

Also when I click the Manage and then Disk Management I can only see my C Drive and no other drives.

When I plugged the USB cable in it said 'new hardware found' but thats all it says, I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried everything.

Hope somebody can help me.

How many drives do you have? I've noticed that sometimes a USB drive won't show up if there are other drives taking up all the letters D: through F:. Can you disconnect other drives to see if it will appear?

Also, have you tried rebooting the computer? Sometimes that will do the trick.

I have a D drive and normal C Drive. I have restarted my PC and still nothing. Its really annoying me now.

anybody got any tips on how i can get it to work.

I have posted a few images of what is going on:-

Image 1 -

Image 2 -

Image 3 -

Image 4 -

Hope somebody can help me

there must be something wrong between the HDD and PC , another possiblity is the HDD has been dead.
    Call Maxtor for help!!!!

Ok, try the following:
    Right click on My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.
    There find Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    Uninstall USB controllers, USB Composite Device and USB Root Hub.
    Restart system and let it detect the new devices and update drivers for them.
    Then connect your external HDD.
    I recommend you taking backup of your system prior trying this step as it could cause problems. But mainly it resolves the issue.

Try another USB port.
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    I have posted a few images of what is going on:-

Image 1 -

Image 2 -

Image 3 -

Image 4 -

Hope somebody can help me
    Image 1 shows only your primary drive (it is not the external drive)
    I can only assume that the ext drive is dead or one of the components in the interface has gone bad (happens with ext drive enclosures).
    You could try to remove your hard drive from the ext drive and see if you can directly add it to another ext drive enclosure or your machine (sorry if this step is too advanced).

Smile

sounds like you have done the same thing I did. If you have used computer management you will have formatted the hard drive and also removed all the partitions from it. So what you need to do is download so free software from download.com and then add a new partition to your drive. Once you have done this you will see it appear in my computer.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Paul

external hard drive can be seen

Quote Originally Posted by madnad View Post
    Image 1 shows only your primary drive (it is not the external drive)
    I can only assume that the ext drive is dead or one of the components in the interface has gone bad (happens with ext drive enclosures).
    You could try to remove your hard drive from the ext drive and see if you can directly add it to another ext drive enclosure or your machine (sorry if this step is too advanced).
    I was having the same problem, this is how I fixed it in XP Pro.

Start, Right click on My Computer, pick Manage, pick Disk Management, pick the hard drive in the Volume list, right click over it, change drive letter and path, pick a drive letter that is not being used.

Maxtor

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    I have been trying all day trying to get my external hard drive to be recognized by WinXp but its not working and really beginning to me.

I check the Device Manager and can see my Maxtor HD there, but when I click My Computer its not there.

Also when I click the USB controllers in device manager I can't see the USB Mass Storage, whereas I can see all the other USB devices.

Also when I click the Manage and then Disk Management I can only see my C Drive and no other drives.

When I plugged the USB cable in it said 'new hardware found' but thats all it says, I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried everything.

Hope somebody can help me.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME.

I wasn't able to locate my external hardrive in the disk manager , it was not showing up in "my computer" but it was running and fully functional in the device manager. The. error message i kept getting was that my "external hard drive was not partitioned".So to avoid re formatting or partitioning . I simply connected it to another computer and let it it install as if it were brand new. it partitioned it self and saved all of my data.NOTE .. it may ask if you would like to format .. choose NO!!!! when i was done I connected it back to my original computer and everything was back and running.

I have experienced a USB external hard drive that is not recognized in "Computer" and is therefore not accessible. The drive does appear normally in Device Manager. Sometimes an external drive which has been in normal use shifts into this situation. In my case the drive appeared to have lost its "designation".

Other brands of USB external hard drive plugged into the computer are also not recognized, but flash drives are recognized.

The external hard drive appears normally and works when plugged into other computers.

To recapture the drive designation on the computer experiencing the problem -
    Go to Contol Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management. In my case the drive appeared, but has no designation letter. I right clicked on the "blank" drive and then
    selected "Make Drive Active" and "Change Drive Letter and Paths". That seems to resolve the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information