+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7

    Dropped my WD 1.5 TB Hard Drive. What can I do now??

    So I have a WD 1.5TB hard drive that I just dropped. I had it connected on a shelf to my laptop and as I walked by I didn't notice the cable and when my leg hit it, it pulled my hard drive down and it hit the floor. The drive opened a bit so I closed it back up. I plugged it back in but my computer isn't recogning the hard drive at all. Besides that, when the drive is plugged in, it has this weird magnetic pull. So when I lift it, one side pulls down. Does anyone know what this means? The info I have on the drive is really valuable so I hope I can recover it. Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Millwright stroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,189
    Welcome to TechIMO!

    It sounds like it is in an enclosure.
    Unless you only damaged the enclosure, you are probably out of luck.

    A data recovery service would almost certainly be able to recover your data, for a fee.

    I would remove the hard drive from the enclosure, and test it in a computer, but most likely the drive is damaged. Dropping them almost always kills them.


    As for the perceived magnetic pull, I would guess you are feeling the gyroscopic pull of the spinning platters. I've never held one while running, but it makes perfect sense that a disk, spinning at high speed, would act like a gyroscope.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member J1mmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    2,893
    Blog Entries
    1
    I did this a while back unfortunately, and you need a data recovery company. Even the smallest accidental drops can render a drive useless unless looked at professionally. And yes, it can cost quite a bit. Make sure you look for a well reputable company, and don't go for the cheapest one.

    The weighing issue you are experiencing isn't anything magnetic I would imagine its just the spinning of the drive inside.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the help. How expensive is the data recovery service? Also, how is the data recovered? Do they transfer data onto a new drive?

    Is there anyway I can attempt to fix this myself?

    And lastly, are there any diagnostic things I can do to see if my computer can detect or read data on the drive?

  5. #5
    Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    8,569
    Blog Entries
    4
    Data recovery can be very very expensive unless this is some extremely sensitive information or irreplaceable data its really not worth it.

    They use a variety of tools and techniques it really depends on what the issue is.

    Diagnostics you can do, no not really. Removing the drive from the case and attaching it directly to the computer is about it. Either the PC will see the drive or it won't. If it does see the drive then you might have a few options but the first step is checking to see if its even detected by the computers bios.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

  6. #6
    Millwright stroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,189
    Data recovery companies will go as far as rebuilding the drive, or placing your platters in another drive housing.

    Not something that the average person is going to do at home. You are suppose to do it in a clean room, although I have read articles on people doing it at home.

    I find it easier to always have backup, having 2 hard drives is my preferred method
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7
    So I decided to try and plug in my drive one more time to see what would happen. It still isn't listed under "My Computer", but my drive is showing up in my device manager and is showing that it is "working properly". The "remove hardware" icon is also showing up on my toolbar. Anyone know if there is any way to just access the data, or at least some of it?

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member J1mmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    2,893
    Blog Entries
    1
    Under no circumstances should you try and open the drive, you could risk losing ALL your data.

    Data recovery is expensive, but its not an easy process, and no, it's not something people can do at home and specialist equipment is used in different phases of trying to recover the data.

    You are very limited in what you can do at the moment, yo can search around to see if you can find out why your hard drive isn't showing up on My Computer, you could even try to download some hard disk diagnostic software to see if it can give you more information. But you should really send it in to a professional. Are you the US/UK?

    From my experience it can cost anywhere between $400-1000 for something like this but you won't know for sure unless they properly diagnose the drive. If it clicks or makes other noises its more often than not a mechanical failure which needs professional attention, and usually you won't be able to get anything to read the drive anyway.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by J1mmy View Post
    Under no circumstances should you try and open the drive, you could risk losing ALL your data.

    Data recovery is expensive, but its not an easy process, and no, it's not something people can do at home and specialist equipment is used in different phases of trying to recover the data.

    You are very limited in what you can do at the moment, yo can search around to see if you can find out why your hard drive isn't showing up on My Computer, you could even try to download some hard disk diagnostic software to see if it can give you more information. But you should really send it in to a professional. Are you the US/UK?

    From my experience it can cost anywhere between $400-1000 for something like this but you won't know for sure unless they properly diagnose the drive. If it clicks or makes other noises its more often than not a mechanical failure which needs professional attention, and usually you won't be able to get anything to read the drive anyway.
    It doesn't click. I can here it running but I think that it is only because it is out of the enclosure.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Member J1mmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    2,893
    Blog Entries
    1
    HOw are you connecting it up? Is it showing in BOIS?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7
    Good news! After plugging in my hard drive, I went to My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management and from there I was able to access the data on the drive. The only thing, it is being really slow. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by replacing the power or USB cord? Or is this just something I will have to deal with?

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member Chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sacramento, El Norte
    Posts
    16,611
    Do not shut off your computer!

    Start taking data off into a file on your computer while you have the chance, as you may never get a second chance. Be thankful you got this far!

    Then replace the drive with a new one.
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

  13. #13
    Millwright stroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,189
    I second that.

    If the drive really is running slow, a cable is not the cause.

    Get 2 drives, so you have a backup, and this won;t be a problem, when a drive dies completely.
    A drive is a lot cheaper than data recovery.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member J1mmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    2,893
    Blog Entries
    1
    You've very lucky, believe me. Had it not been in an enclosure you probably would be researching into data recovery companies right now.

    Start to transfer off your important files first, and then get back to everyhting else. You never know if your disk might die half way through.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member osprey4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    11,365
    Quote Originally Posted by fasterpie View Post
    Good news! After plugging in my hard drive, I went to My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management and from there I was able to access the data on the drive. The only thing, it is being really slow. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by replacing the power or USB cord? Or is this just something I will have to deal with?
    Wow, that's ridiculously fortunate! You really need to go out and buy a lottery ticket using the serial number of that drive.

  16. #16
    Ultimate Member Chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sacramento, El Norte
    Posts
    16,611
    Buy the lottery ticket, and on the way home buy a new drive.

    Two if you are clumsy!
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Dropped hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by fasterpie View Post
    So I have a WD 1.5TB hard drive that I just dropped. I had it connected on a shelf to my laptop and as I walked by I didn't notice the cable and when my leg hit it, it pulled my hard drive down and it hit the floor. The drive opened a bit so I closed it back up. I plugged it back in but my computer isn't recogning the hard drive at all. Besides that, when the drive is plugged in, it has this weird magnetic pull. So when I lift it, one side pulls down. Does anyone know what this means? The info I have on the drive is really valuable so I hope I can recover it. Can anyone help me?
    Here is a good site explaining what happens when a drive is dropped. The services provided by this company are highly recommended too. Check it out www.southjerseydata.com/dropped-hard-drive.com
    Last edited by macuser55; July 18th, 2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM
  2. Just dropped my hard drive..
    By MaddSeason in forum Storage Related
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 5th, 2004, 08:18 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 20th, 2003, 04:59 PM
  5. Dropped Hard Drive Now it rattles
    By mikey76 in forum Storage Related
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 11th, 2002, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright 2014 All Enthusiast, Inc