+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Help adding 2nd Hard Drive

I have a Micron Millennia 400 with zip drive, cd rom, 3 1/2 floppy and 10GHD. It is the mini-tower version. I want to add a 40GHD and need to decide where to put it. There are no more expansion bays, although one review said it comes with a 'vertical mount on the lower front of the case'??? I couldn't see one when I opened the case last night.
    I guess I could remove the zip drive and replace it with the hard drive.
    Does this sound like a good move?
    calpilot

As long as mounting it on the front mount isn't blocking all the air entering the case it should be fine. If it is, you might have to mount a fan on the side of the machine maybe. Make sure you have good air flow.

Cheers!

My Dell Pentium Pro 200 has the same type of thing. There is a plastic cradle or shelf that holds a HD vertically in the lower front of the case right behind the power button wiring harness. My buddy thought it was pretty weird and was concerned that a 7,200rpm HD may not like getting banged around without being screwed into the frame.

I would say it is worth trying. Maybe your Micron has a way to actually screw the HD to the frame. You also should consider the power needs. I am not sure an old Micron has a PSU that will enjoy more power needs being layered on it. Removing the Zip alleviates that a bit.

I can't even remember the last time I used my zip drive... except for trying zipslack on an old compaq. Do you really need the zip? If not, I would suggest tossing the zip (or selling it or putting it in another comp) and mounting the HDD in a stable location. I wouldn't trust mounting it vertically to the side of the case.

-Kc2iLq

Thanks much for the quick responses!!! I hadn't thought about the power supply concerns... I think removing the zip drive is the best move. I may try and trade it for a CR RW unit and toss the old CD R only unit.
    Do I need to 'tell' the BIOS in advance that I'm removing the zip?
    TIA,
    calpilot

I've never had the pleasure of owning a Zip drive. If there is program associated with it, remove the program. Remove the drive from Device Manager in Windows GUI and shut down your computer. Physically remove the drive and start your computer. If your BIOS supports ESCD like mine, I like to Reset the Data Configuration in my BIOS as the past extended system configuration, (ESCD) contained info on non-plug and play hardware the last time I successfully booted my machine.

Cheers!

It would be nice to keep your CD-R as you might want to copy from CD to CD.

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Did you check the Micron support page to see if they have any diagrams or other help for your model?

Thanks, Beemer. It would be nice to have both, but with an 80G drive I'll be able to just copy a CD onto the drive and write from there.

For Theophylact: Yes, the MicronPC page is kinda limited. They've gone out of the PC business and there's no detail service manuals available, and the company handling their support now will only talk to you if you've signed an annual service contract...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information