+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    There is away to do it, self managed by the users with no age limit, A serious talk forum where you can be voted out by a majority of 60% or more and set up where a minimum amount of votes are needed. That way the mods deal with language and flames as usual but the comunity decides when someone needs to go for thread crapping or just being a irritating prick.

Quote Originally Posted by lablkilz699
    a "you can come in our clubhouse!! blech!!" kind of slam the door in the face, of the youths here is more childish than their possible immature responses to serious topics.
    No it is not. Not even close.

Well you have to have strong language,
    Im more concerned about whos going to correct my spelling

pphalan, thats very true, but then its not exactly "exclusive" for adults because its still possible for anyone to get into the conversation....just if the maturity level is jeprodized, then the hammer comes down...which is how the forum probably could be like to begin with...
    Macbook Pro 15"
    23" Apple Cinema Display

Ultimate Member
    People seem confused. Here's a simple way of looking at it; consider TechIMO as a city. A city without a bar for adults to hang out in. Wouldn't it be nice (and I'm not asking the kids) to have a place for people who are all adults to chat?

I don't see the relevance of "oh, half the adults here act like they're 13 anywhere so this idea is stupid" arguments. I'm aware that some people may "act" quite "youthful". Not my point, nor does it really factor into the basis of my suggestion.

just make the forum invisible & no indication to it being there, to those who didnt enter a birthdate before the age requirement date, it should work fine
    n some rules become invalid in that forum

another forum i visit is set up like that, n works fine

Blog Entries
    What about the guests? I am guessing you would just hide it for them as well...
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    Let's attack this situation from a different angle. The idea has been tossed around before, possibly as part of a subscription plan that would include no ads, more storage, custom titles, larger avatars, etc. What would it be worth (as in $) to each of you to have a relatively uncensored adult forum category as part of a low-cost subscription plan? Essentially, using a credit card for verification and minimal regular payment is about the only way we can effectively stop minors from accessing such a section.

Take note, this is a personal interest question at this point, not a specific planned project for TechIMO.

Robert Richmond
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Quote Originally Posted by OuTpaTienT
    You mean a place where there would be no opinions of 12 year olds? I'm all for it.

Seriously though, I like this idea. A forum for everyone that is 18+ years of age. I vote yes.

yes a place for rational people... tho where ever we go there will be the foolish intel fanboy. think we could get a AMD forum aswell
    if it is not broken, play with it till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRich
    Let's attack this situation from a different angle. The idea has been tossed around before, possibly as part of a subscription plan that would include no ads, more storage, custom titles, larger avatars, etc. What would it be worth (as in $) to each of you to have a relatively uncensored adult forum category as part of a low-cost subscription plan? Robert Richmond
    Pay to be verbally abused??? Now you might be onto something..

Or perhaps it would divide the have members from the have-not members (the adults that can't afford the dues) ??

Let's attack this situation from a different angle. The idea has been tossed around before, possibly as part of a subscription plan that would include no ads, more storage, custom titles, larger avatars, etc. What would it be worth (as in $) to each of you to have a relatively uncensored adult forum category as part of a low-cost subscription plan? Essentially, using a credit card for verification and minimal regular payment is about the only way we can effectively stop minors from accessing such a section.

Take note, this is a personal interest question at this point, not a specific planned project for TechIMO.

Robert Richmond
    I've been following this thread out of curiousity but never chimed in due to the fact it seemed destined to fail..
    The only way I see it working is the way RobRich has suggested...
    Put your money where your mouth is and make it worth Timo's effort...
    Truth is we take for granted what a usefull FREE tool Timo is to us and just want more, better, etc.
    A few people do ALOT of work for a great many others here.

Blog Entries
    Okay, so we have a membership fee. What are we talking about here? For me, I could see throwing $10 a year at it, but I think I'd be inclined to stay with the free service if it was more than that. Why I say that is simply that TIMO is mostly just a message board for me. If I went to a coffee shop to talk to my friends, I wouldn't pay for that expensive rot gut everytime I went in there, I'd drink water as long as it was free and talk to my friends. Every once and a while, I might buy a coffee and a snack....but only once in a great while.

For example. Pogo gives you a year subscription to their game service for about $30. You can play all the games available. You can also go there for free, but they hold back some of the popular games and features for subscribers. I think it's an excellent deal for everyone. My wife plays alot, I play on occasion. I don't have a subscription, she does.

So, my vote for a subscription based service goes in the yes box.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Blog Entries
    Pay to be verbally abused??? Now you might be onto something.
    Interesting spin. May I assume you have recently visited one of the numerous political threads?

Or perhaps it would divide the have members from the have-not members
    Probably not. Any such fee for an adult forum would be minimal at best. Basically, the fee would be a deterrent for kids, as there is no other viable option to efficiently handle such a proposal.

Anyway, the existing forum structure and rules for free public access would continue as usual, so little would change IMO. A subscription forum would be for people that want to post their adult jokes, questionable links, and blatant flame bait. Maybe have different plans for different options, such as a price for the adult forum, then another price for no ads, etc. I need to see how vB3 handles payments and account options.

BTW, like I said earlier, this discussion is entirely supposition at this point. Scott declined to setup a subscription plan the last time we publicly proposed the idea, and I doubt that decision will be changed anytime soon. However, I would not have a problem approaching him with the idea once again if there is enough legitimate interest.

Robert Richmond
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Blog Entries

Robert Richmond

Sure why not, I don't know what I would pay though, simply because I don't know what a typical website subscription costs, but I would love to support TechIMO with some bucks, just not too many bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Detritus
    Sure why not, I don't know what I would pay though, simply because I don't know what a typical website subscription costs, but I would love to support TechIMO with some bucks, just not too many bucks...
    Same here.

....a relatively uncensored adult forum category....
    I think it's the kiddie forums that usually need to be censored.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'd like to think that even if we ran a subscription forum service, the demeanor would be still more along the lines as the public forums. Though I do think that there might be some "spillage" into the other public forums if membership has it's priveledges of questionable content being more loosely defined.

I'd look into whether or not you could have a one year "beta" run of a forum like this and see how it does. This way no one complains about wasted money if it's shut down after a year, and anyone that wants to continue will have to "shore up" or "ship out". Do it like Gmail. give out invites to a few members, and then the members that have been initially invited can invite other members to join. The success would depend on the ability of the Invitee's to self police the people they invite into the beta forum.

Also, I think there would have to be moderators just for the private forums, so the TOS doesn't get muddled from public to private.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

yea go for it.

Blog Entries
    i personally think that TIMO is an open community and we shouldn't pay to see just some adult threads where people will just curse and blah bleh.....

my point is, just dont make it. I know charging people for the adult only forum may be a good money maker for TIMO, but it may not be great...
    Or perhaps it would divide the have members from the have-not members
    i believe it too

i would not pay for such a service since one of the best things about timo is (IMO) the fact that you dont have to wade through all of those threads to get to the good informative stuff

however, i think TechIMO should have a paypal donation link (if they dont already). i would give on the rare occasion that i had money

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information