Results 1 to 1 of 1
May 4th, 2012, 04:30 PM #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2001
- Tampa, FL USA
- Blog Entries
TechIMO Forum Frequently Answered Questions
Why should I register?
In order to fully utilize the abilities of this forum, the administrator requires that you register as a member. Registration is free, and allows you to do the following:
- Post new threads
- Reply to other peoples' threads
- Edit your posts
- Receive email notification of replies to posts and threads you specify
- Send private messages to other members
- Enter events in the forum calendar
- Set up a 'buddy-list' to quickly see which of your friends are currently online
To register, you will need to specify a username and password, and a valid email address. Entering your email address will not leave you open to 'spam', as you can choose to hide your email address, and messages sent to you via email do not reveal your address to the sender in any case.
How can I change the information in my profile?
It is your responsibility to keep the information in your profile up-to-date. You should especially ensure that your email address is kept current. You can alter any of the fields in your profile, except your username. Once you have registered your username, it becomes yours for life. In extreme circumstances, you may request that the administrator change your username, but he or she will require a very good reason to do so.
I lost my password, what can I do?
If you forget your password, you can use the lost password recovery form to bring up a page where you should enter your registered email address, and an email will be sent to that address instantly, with instructions for resetting your password.
What are membership levels?
Membership levels are based on post counts. A member's status is not an indicator of content quality, originality, or helpfulness. Membership status only defines the individuals that frequent the site more often than other members. The breakdown is as follows:
- Junior = 1-30 Posts
- Member = 31-500 Posts
- Senior = 501-1000 Posts
- Ultimate = 1001+ Posts
Special membership privileges include:
- Custom Signature = 25+ Posts
- Custom Avatar = 50+ Posts
- Custom Title = 3000+ Posts
Signatures, avatars, and titles are subject to all moderation policies. These features are not to be used for spam or activities that may violate TechIMO operating policies.
How do I add a custom status to my profile?
Once you reach the required post count, you can specify the text you want to display by editing your profile and entering the text you want in the custom user text field.
How do I get a picture under my username?
These small images are called avatars. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. Once you reach the required post count, you can click here for more information about avatars.
Notice concerning signatures and avatars
Singatures and avatars, whether or not publicly available, are considered a form of personal identification for the member during the time span of its use by the member, and one member's signature or avatar shall not be used by another member unless the signature or avatar has been verified by the original user as retired, or express permission has been granted by the original user of the signature or avatar in question. Any signature or avatar duplicated without being retired or without permission for its usage by the original user will be subject to removal.
Additionally, to limit forum clutter, please keep signatures to three lines of text or less. Overly distracting signatures are subject to editing and/or removal as decided by the forum moderation team.
General Forum Usage
Can I search the forum?
You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums. To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages. You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so.
Can I send email to other members?
Yes! To send an email to another member, you can click the email link on a member's profile page. This will open a page that contains a form where you can enter your message. When you have finished typing your message, press the [send email] button and your message will be sent instantly. Note that for privacy reasons, the email address of the recipient is not revealed to you during this process.
Note that if you can not find an email button or link for a member, it either means that the administrator has disabled email functions for this forum, or that the member in question has specified that they do not wish to receive email from other members of the forum.
Another useful email function is the ability to send a friend a link to a thread you think they may find interesting. Whenever you view a thread, you will find a link somewhere on the page which will allow you to send a brief message to anyone you like.
Alternatively, registered members can also send messages to other members of this forum using the private messaging system, as outlined next in the FAQ.
What is Private Messaging?
Registered members may send each other private messages. The private message process works similar to a webmail system, but it is limited to messages passed internally between registered members of the forum. You can include vB Code, smilies, and images in private messages that you send.
Reading and Posting Messages
Are there any special codes/tags I can use to format my posts?
For the most part, your posts will contain plain text, but on occasions, you may want to emphasize certain words or phrases by making them (for example) bold or italic. You may use vB Code to produce these effects.
What are smilies?
Smilies are small graphical icons which you can insert into your messages to convey an emotion or feeling, such as a joke or embarrassment. For example, if you entered a sarcastic comment, rather than type 'that was a joke', you could simply insert the 'wink' smilie.
If you have used email or internet chat systems, you will probably be familiar with the concept of smilies already. Certain combinations of text characters are converted into smilies. For example, :) is converted into a smiling face. For a list of the smilies currently used by this forum, click here.
On occasions, you may want to prevent the text in your message from being converted into smilies. You will see a checkbox in the advanced post editor, with which you can opt to disable smilies when posting a message.
Code Buttons and Clickable Smilies
These controls allow you to quickly and easily enter vB Code into your posts and messages. To use them, simply click the appropriate buttons or select items from the lists to enter vB Code.
There are three editor modes available: basic, standard, and enhanced. When using the basic editor, there are no vB Code buttons to assist your editing, so you must enter any vB Code markup manually in this editor. When using standard mode, highlight the text you wish to modify and press the appropriate button to insert vB Code tags at your cursor. When using the enhanced mode, pressing a button will modify any highlighted text in a WYSIWYG manner.
To use the clickable smilies, simply click the smiley that you want to insert into your message, or click the more link to access the full list of smilies.
What are message icons?
Message icons allow you to specify a small icon to accompany your posting, which is used to convey the emotion or content of a post at a glance.
What are attachments?
To attach a file to a new post, click the manage attachments button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive. Please note, certain file formats and size limits do apply, which will be indicated by the attachment manager.
What is email notification?
If you post a new thread, or reply to an existing thread, you can choose to be notified by email when someone else replies to that thread. You can also choose to receive email notifications of new posts in a thread without posting in that thread, by clicking the 'Subscribe to this thread' link displayed in the thread page.
If you choose to stop receiving email notifications from a thread, you can turn off the option by either editing your post, or by unsubscribing from the thread. Only registered users may receive email notifications. You can set whether you want to receive email notification by default by editing your account options. Note, email notifications are also referred to as thread subscriptions.
Can I edit my own posts?
If you have registered, you will be able to edit your posts. To edit a post, click the edit button underneath the post's content. Note, if you would prefer to delete a post, you will instead need to contact the forum moderation team.
Forum Moderation Policies
What are moderators?
Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.
What is proper forum conduct?
Members will notice immediately that TechIMO's forums are unlike many other message boards on the Internet. While we have rather open policies, our community remains largely self moderated. Our common sense policies include:
- Members will not post pornographic or nude content; nor will members link to sites or pages with such content.
- Members will not use these forums to violate any international, federal, state, or local law, nor any other law, nor to discuss any illegal activity.
- Members will not post any copyrighted material, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of said copyrights have created for material freely available to the general public), unless said copyright is owned by you or by TechIMO.
- Members may insert images directly into their messages by using vB code only if the image is stored on their own site or web account, or if advance permission has been granted by the host site's webmaster. Posting images that are stored on someone else's web space (hotlinking) is not permitted since it requires unauthorized bandwidth usage for the hosting site's server. If authorized hosting is not possible, then simply post the proper link to the graphic.
- Members will not use TechIMO for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, protected registration information, illegal software keys, key generators, cracks, or any other information designed to allow unlawful and illegal access to any computer hardware, software, network, or any other system.
- Members will not post for-profit personal referrals, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, spam, solicitations, or contests involving prizes not pre-approved by the TechIMO staff. Those seeking to advertise at TechIMO should contact the proper staff member for additional information.
- TechIMO does not officially endorse forum contests or work offers/requests, nor is TechIMO responsible or liable for any contests or work offers/requests posted by forum members.
- Members will not impersonate or falsely identify with any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise or hide the origin of any posting, nor will members collect or store personal data about other members.
- Members will not publish names, addresses, telephone numbers, images, birthdates, and any other confidential/private/personal information without the express permission of the targeted person.
- Posting material outside the stated topic, also known as "thread crapping," is not welcome outside of the IMO community forum. Useless posting can further be defined as any material that provides no actual benefit to the forum or thread in which it is contained. Such messages are subject to removal without notice.
- Members will not create multiple accounts. Each member is entitled to a single account. Once discovered, multiple accounts will be subject to administrative action, up to and including the originating member being banned.
- These forums allow members to use custom avatars. For the purpose of our forums, said avatars, whether or not publicly available, are considered a form of personal identification for the member during the time span of its use by the member, and one member's avatar shall not be used by another member unless the avatar has been verified by the original members as retired, or express permission has been granted by the original user of the avatar in question.
- Members will not publicly question a moderator's decision. All moderation concerns should be addressed in a private manner, either by private messaging or emailing the moderator in question.
What is proper forum usage?
The TechIMO forum is divided into sub-forums. The subject of each sub-forum is designed to promote focus on discussion, sharing of information and to troubleshoot related subject matter. Definition of a forum subject also makes searching for similar material more efficient, and generates better response yields from those with expertise in those subject areas.
We ask that members place their posts in the forum which is best suited for their topic of discussion. If a member places a post in the incorrect forum for the subject matter, said post or thread (a string of posts inside a topic title) will be moved by a moderator to the most appropriate forum for the subject matter.
As for providing technical content, whether it be the sharing of technical information, providing technical assistance to another, or asking for technical assistance, we highly recommend that a member base his or her comments on matters of fact or personal experience, providing links to verify your comments whenever possible. The accuracy of posted information is most important in technical matters.
To facilitate the best response to your topic, and to aid in search compatibility, please make the title of your topic subject descriptive as to its relevant content. To avoid confusion and redundancy, do not multiple post your topic in the same forum or to other forums. More than one thread on the same topic fosters confusion and is frustrating to those helping to provide solutions and troubleshooting history is broken and difficult to follow.
All buy/sale/trade activities will be carried out at ResellerRatings. Trading threads posted at TechIMO will be closed and a notice will be issued to repost the thread at ResellerRatings. Business-related transactions of any form conducted at TechIMO or ResellerRatings are not endorsed by All Enthusiast, Inc. TechIMO and all subsidiary and parent corporations dissolve responsibility and accountability for any business activities carried forth by forum members.
TechIMO is not responsible for and assumes no liability with respect to the content posted by forum users. TechIMO reserves the right to delete, move, or edit any content. TechIMO shall have the right, but not the obligation, to correct errors or omissions in content. Each user shall remain solely responsible for all of his or her content.
TechIMO supports the embedding of videos and other content from third-party sources. Embedded videos and content are not hosted by TechIMO. TechIMO is not responsible for the content of such videos and content, nor is TechIMO responsible for the actions of third-party hosts and sources. All current forum content rules remain applicable.
How may forum violations be reported?
If a member identifies content in violation of a rule or policy, or a post or posts that contains questionable, offensive or objectionable content, please contact the appropriate staff member by clicking the report link (exclamation sign) found beside each post. Moderators may also be contacted by email or private message to address any concern.
We ask that members report violations via the above methods rather than publicly posting, as direct communication will allow staff to respond to the matter in a more timely manner. The username or any information of anyone who submits a violation report to staff is confidential and will not be revealed to other members.
What about censorship concerns?
TechIMO retains the right to censor any content. The forums are public, and free for open use, but are maintained under the private ownership of All Enthusiast, Inc. The administration of TechIMO can edit and/or remove any post or account. An explanation is commonly provided, but no expressed reason is required for administrative actions to occur.
How may moderation concerns be addressed?
Moderators are available to discuss any issue related to posting procedures. They will answer any questions you might have concerning the TechIMO message board, posting, procedures, and policies. Moderators are always printed near the bottom of each primary forum page.
May moderator comments be removed?
TechIMO moderators often place warnings in messages when content requires editing. These comments serve not only as a warning to the offending poster, but also serve as a reminder to other members about what is and is not allowed. Members should never remove moderator comments from their messages unless permission has been obtained.
Amendments to FAQ, Rules, and Policies
The FAQ, rules, and policies of TechIMO may be amended at any time without notice. TechIMO reserves all rights. Please check back frequently for changes.Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
TechIMO.com Community Director
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Chuckiechan in forum DebateIMO: Politics, Religion, ControversyReplies: 72Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
By Droppyale in forum IMO CommunityReplies: 32Last Post: August 20th, 2004, 06:15 AM
By VERT in forum General Tech DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: February 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM
By Rovastar in forum General Tech DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: July 1st, 2003, 03:43 PM
By mickwish in forum PC HardwareReplies: 2Last Post: January 30th, 2002, 09:52 AM