+ Reply to Thread

Post FBI joins hunt for Half-Life code

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3414157.stm

Hopefully this is just the beginning. If evidence compiled against him convicts the criminal, we should all poop on him.

And what happens when there is no evidence.

BTW why is the FBI investigating this?? Where is the terrorist angle? As far as I know no FEDERAL laws have been broken, just some code stolen.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Not Really a Member
    Just some code stolen?
    Do you mean to say that there isn't an illegal instrusion into commercial property!?!
    The code stolen also has a HIGH value.
    I'm not sure where Valve is located, but its also quite possibly across state lines.

This is WAY beyond "just some code stolen"
    this isn't exactly stealing somebody's "new and improved notepad" code.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

whats the difference between "commercial property" and "copyrighted music"? None that I know of, but you dont see the FBI chasing down RIAA fugitives do you?

My point was why is the FBI doing this? Shouldnt it be the local police? Which federal law was broken?
    Unless they are looking at this as a TERRORISTIC threat(HAHAHA), in which case its a total smear campaign designed to make the general populace feel better about what is going on.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Digital crack.....
    I think it's ridiculous!
    Anyone here had SOMETHING of theirs stolen , I'm sure they'd be unhappy ...
    Hey!!
    usslindstrom , how's that 9800P runnin'??
    Ya got it all O/C'd to H & back , because you have a HUGE k00ler on it now??

Robert

K8Combo-Z, A64-3200+ ,AIW9600Pro ,2X512M CRUCIAL PC3200,520W PSU, BenQ 8X DvD, LG GCC4480B CDRW, 'Cuda 80&160GB and 2X Maxtor 80G ,WD100SE & WD200SE

Yeah! Got my 2800 O/Ced to 2.24 and bumped up my VCORE to 1.7. Couldn`t have done it without you guys. Temps are still low 40s Celcius. It`s beautiful. Thanks.

Thumbs up

Yeah , but have you downloaded RadClocker (or similiar) and wound up the GPU/mem on your Vcard??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FBI joins hunt for Half-Life code-aiw9600pro_510mini.jpg  
    K8Combo-Z, A64-3200+ ,AIW9600Pro ,2X512M CRUCIAL PC3200,520W PSU, BenQ 8X DvD, LG GCC4480B CDRW, 'Cuda 80&160GB and 2X Maxtor 80G ,WD100SE & WD200SE

What color do you like you Ferari's?

Every time we meet on these forums, you're always helping me. Thanks.

Got that program that you mentioned for O/Cing the vid card. Got the Core up to 435.86 and the memory to 343.29. All without artifacts on any game yet.

REALLY helped out the 3DMark03 score.

If I had the money, I really would send you the car. Thanks man.
    Last edited by usslindstrom; January 24th, 2004 at 09:35 AM.

Well , that's just plain
    Kickkk@$$!!
    I guess when you go to upgrade (next time) - maybe you could sell me that 98P for a reduced price??
    lol
    Like that'll happen... hehehee
    Well I'm glad I could help...
    (srry for hijackin' this thread)

Originally posted by no1_vern

My point was why is the FBI doing this? Shouldnt it be the local police? Which federal law was broken?

If I'm not mistaken the reason the FBI is involved doesn't have as much to do with what was stolen as it does with HOW it was stolen. One of the FBI jurisdictions is the investigation of "hacking" type of crimes.
    Also they may have been asked to step into the investigation.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

They are currently waging a little war with some hack groups. Its getting ugly. This was taken off http://www.fbi.gov/

"CyberCrime Task Force, which is made up not only of FBI Agents but also investigators from a number of different local, state, and federal agencies. "

It seems they are looking at any criminal electronic activity,... though that is shared among other agencies that have the time and resources. There is concern among the government over the fact that the pc/online/electronic world is not heavily policed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information