+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

Computer doesn't recognize HD

I took my slave hd out so I could format another hd, so I put in the hd I want to format, my computer reads it fine, then when it's finished formatting I turn my computer off and switch the drives back to the original way I had it, and now my computer won't read the slave hd. I didn't change the jumper settings and it's the same IDE cable. Is there anywhere I can go to add it, besides add new hardware wizard?

try redetecting the hd in the bios yet?

Ultimate Member
    yeah, it probably just recognized the other drive in the bios and when you put the original one back it didnt re-recognize it...

go into bios and see if the drive is shown with the proper size etc...(it probably isnt)....sometimes in th ebios there is a thing you can do to auto detect the drives....sometimes it is the f3 button...or sometimes you just hit enter while "secondary master" (or whatever) is highlighted.

-----

also, if it happened, you wouldnt be the first one to forget to put the power plug back on the drive when u replaced it....I do that one allllll the time.....
    JP
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Banned
    In the bios under IDE configuration for Primary Master and Slave it says none, is it suppose to list the hard drives here? When booting up it list both hard drives, so I think it's XP that's just not reading it. Also between the time the bios loads and the time XP loads, there's a black screen about about 2 minutes. This is on a 500mhz P3 with 768mb ram. It didn't use to pause that long at all though.
    Last edited by techdude007; March 11th, 2004 at 08:47 PM.

Ultimate Member
    it isnt supposed to say "none"...set them both to "auto" and reboot.

Are you sure the jumpers didnt get changed? Long boot times like that make it sound like its struggling trying to identify the drives
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information