+ Reply to Thread

Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 in Bios Says Hard Disk None? Help

I recently purchased this laptop off of someone in a classified add online knowing it wasn't totally working. I couldn't get it to power up at first and totally took the thing apart and ended up finding the power button connector was broke,but I was able to jump the connection to get the power up screen to show, so I ordered up the power button board and that is now installed. Anyways the toshiba screen just powers up and goes to a screen that says no operating system installed and does a couple of check system things but earlier on lets me go into the BIOS but it reads Hard Disk:None, so I figured my hard drive may be bad but I bought a new one and installed it and it still says the same thing, like it doesn't recognize it at all. I have the recovery discs and tried to run them, it tries to load the 1st disk saying it will overwrite orig hard drive settings but doesn't seem to restore anything and the other 2 disks don't restore anything either. I have totally disassembled the thing making sure ever connection was in tact and is.......anyone have any ideas? I would take it in to a shop but don't want to spend $100's to have them figure out somethin I should myself.....thanks in advance

A notebook hard drive is just a smaller version of a desktop hard drive. They are both IDE.

The pin connections are different, but there are cable adapters available that will allow you to plug your notebook drives into a desktop PC. Set the desktop drive as master, set the notebook drive as slave. You can partition and format the notebook drive on the desktop PC.

Once you've determined that the drives function, you'll have to do a bit of detective work on the notebook. Check the power pins going into the drive & make sure you're getting power. Check that the BIOS can autodetect the drive. Verify that the drive jumper is set correctly. Try booting from a Windows 98 floppy boot disk to verify that the notebook will run.

The recovery disks may or may not work with another drive. If a drive image was used, there may be conflicts (drive size, bad sectors, etc.) You may be able to run the recovery procedure on the desktop machine. Install the notebook drive as single drive, boot and run from the recovery disks. Be careful doing this.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project :-)

Hard Drive

I have thought about trying to use an adapter to use a desktop hard drive but the system doesn't seem to recognize the new one I put it, and I don't think using the same connection to add one externally would solve anything, am I wrong?

Should the system recognize the drive in the BIOS no matter what if the hard drive is good? I am thinking it is something else if it doesn't even recognize it???????

I will try and load 98 on there and see what happens, if it doesn't take with the new hard drive it is some conflict between the mother board and drive? right? Who knows, hopefully I don't have to spend much more if I have to take it in.

Thanks

IMO it sounds like this thing took a major impact and there may be board fractures all over the place. If the new hard drive is correctly set as a single, stand alone drive (assumedly 40 gigs or smaller) and it won't recognize in the BIOS, it's pointless to try and install the drive image or a win98 install. The drive isn't somehow going to become "visible" during the install process.

A 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter could be used to check the 2.5" drives integrity on a desktop machine, but if the system refuses to recognize a new, known good drive (as you indicated) this is probably a waste of time. If you have ruled out jumper setting issues I would suspect you need a new motherboard.
    Last edited by pelicanman; March 20th, 2004 at 02:16 PM.

There is a very easy solution for this problem (found yesterday on a very old, big Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 (still useable anyway))
    The harddrive's holster-drawer is used to reinsert the drive back into the slot on the computer, where the connector pins are. The other small connector-blades part is attached on the drive's pins, and there is the trick: when you insert the drive back into the slot, you cannot see what is happening underneath the cover. The computer's connector does not take the drive-connector as a whole, but it pushes the blades upwards, causing them not to contact properly. Solution: drill a smal hole on the top of the cover (over the connector blades) and after inserting the drive back to the slot, use a small screwdriver to pust the connector blades down, right into the computer's connector. That's it. Works.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information