+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AOL randomly crashes

I have recently added a new 512mb stick of pc3200 made by Patriot. I have tested the ram for errors with Memtest86 and have not come up with any. From what I remember, ever since I replaced my 2 x 256mb pc2700 with this new stick of pc3200, aol has been crashing randomly. I have scaned for virus's and adaware and the system comes up clean.

My computer will run overnight without crashing. I have also noticed that it only crashes with aol running and when aol crashes, it brings windows down with it. What I mean is that when aol crashes, I can still click on the start button, my computer and other stuff, but they wont load. As soon as I click on the start button, windows will then crash but not completely lock up. The mouse still moves and the num lock light turns on and off. I was running aol 9.0 and decided to downgrade to 8.0 with better luck, but it still crashes.

Any ideas?

TIA.

Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L
    XP 2600+
    512mb pc3200
    XP pro

May I be the first to state in this thread....

AOL suck!

Okay, sorry.

If it is JUST one program (aol) i really wouldn't think its your ram. No other programs crash at all?
    Abit AW9D-Max | E6300 | XP-120 | Panaflow 120mm | 2x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 | BFG 8800GT | Corsair 650w

Yea, I know aol sucks. But I'll hopefully be switching to something else by the end of this month.

I havent noticed any other program crash at all. I mainly notice aol crash because its the only program that runs long enough. Games dont crash, nero runs fine, dvd shrink, winamp, avg, ps all run normally.

I know this sounds.... dumb, and it may not help at all. But open every single program you can think of that isn't fullscreen (like a game) along with aol. Now just play around and click stuff( whatever you normally do with this "aol" thing of yours. See if only AOL crashes.

warning: this may not help you in any way shape or form, but its all that I could come up with...
    Abit AW9D-Max | E6300 | XP-120 | Panaflow 120mm | 2x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 | BFG 8800GT | Corsair 650w

Alright joker...I'll give it a shot.

Well, sorry joker, I opened up a bunch of programs and AOL didnt crash. I'm posting in here right now with the troubled pc. I have opened up a LOT of programs. lol. I've never opened so many at once. HAHA.

Any other ideas?

Hi,

Have you tried sticking the old memory back in?

Here is something from AOL when I searched for "freezing", an initial search using " random crashes" did not find anything so I guess they describe it differently!!

http://help.channels.aol.com/article...ticleId=217314

Cheers

Nodnerb2
    Cheers

Nodnerb2:D

Hey,
    Besides bashing AOL lol, Did you try the repair feature in AOL? I remember there was this function where it will check your PC if AOL is working properly. When you log into AOL, there is PC checkup feature somewhere. I don't know, just an idea

P.S. I'm an AOL member right now and I have all these problems. The software is even worse on the Mac! These are my last few weeks as an AOL member, lol. I'm switiching to sbc yahoo! dsl.

I was thinking about switching back the old ram. I will try that later today. I have also tried that computer check up thingy and all it says is to upgrade to 9.0.

Thanks guys, will try switching back the ram and will let you know.

[EDIT]: I also talked to one of those tech support people hoping to say they had recently created a new update that was buggy or something and had a fix for. But the people there treat me like I'm stupid or something.

She's like, did you try cleaning the temp internet files? Yes.

Did you try uninstalling the aol adapter? Yes.

And then she's like ok, send me your system info by going to this keyword. So I send the info and she's like, it says here that you have call waiting enabled, try turning it off and see if it works. So I was like ok, fine (even though I dont have call waiting on this line so it doesnt even matter if its checked). They try to get rid of you when they cant solve the problem because they themselves dont know whats wrong. As it turns out, I dont have call waiting enabled and I dont even have call waiting on this phone line.
    Last edited by rrcn; June 1st, 2004 at 10:13 AM.

I reinstalled the old ram and aol still crashed. So there's definately something wrong with aol.

Hello everyone. I'm new on here and this is my first post.
    I was searching Google for 'AOL 9.0 Crashes', when I stumbled upon this post.
    At least I know it isn't just me now!

I recently upgraded my PC: new motherboard, processor, 512RAM, hard drive, and upgraded to Windows2000 Pro, but AOL keeps freezing on me. It's only happened since I installed 9.0.
    I've checked everything I can think of in my PC for problems and cannot come up with anything.
    I run and update Antivirus, Firewall and Spyare programs and perform regular scans.

I can't restart, shut-down or do anything else to my PC once AOL has crashed. I simply have to hit restart on the tower itself.

I keep saying, "Yeah, I'll ring AOL Tech Help...", but never do because I know what they'll say (which rrcn has since confirmed).

Ggrrrrrrr! What's a girl to do?
    I know everyone says get rid of AOL, but I do like it!
    I had no probs whatsoever with 8.0.

Plus, I don't know if this site is based in the USA or not, but here in England, I don't find the choice of ISPs much to shout about.
    At least AOL is affordable.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to this newbie waffle on.

snoo, are you on broadband or dialup, coz there are better options than aol. cheap, too.

Hi Paul9...

I'm on dial-up. I'd be thankful for any recommendations you might have.
    Thanks.

get wanadoo halfspeed (256k) broadband for about 15 per month. bt standard speed broadband 20, virgin net standard bb 27 with no 12 month contract. wanadoo and virgin do anytime packages on dialup if you want to stick with that. cable if you can get it have cheap anytime packages and halfspeed bb. just get rid of the aol software if you can. i think aol may be starting to allow connections from non aol software again, if this is so, then you can safely stay where you are.

I might give Wanadoo a go.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by rrcn
    I have recently added a new 512mb stick of pc3200 made by Patriot. I have tested the ram for errors with Memtest86 and have not come up with any. From what I remember, ever since I replaced my 2 x 256mb pc2700 with this new stick of pc3200, aol has been crashing randomly. I have scaned for virus's and adaware and the system comes up clean.

My computer will run overnight without crashing. I have also noticed that it only crashes with aol running and when aol crashes, it brings windows down with it. What I mean is that when aol crashes, I can still click on the start button, my computer and other stuff, but they wont load. As soon as I click on the start button, windows will then crash but not completely lock up. The mouse still moves and the num lock light turns on and off. I was running aol 9.0 and decided to downgrade to 8.0 with better luck, but it still crashes.

Any ideas?

TIA.

Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L
    XP 2600+
    512mb pc3200
    XP pro
    Dear rrcn

I can understand your frustrations when aol crashes...well its perfectly alright with aol but definetly not with you and me...i know how frustrating it is........i have figured out few things when it happens to me...as i have xp on my machine....though i would love to fix the problem by talking to aol tech..but of course its no use.....at all.......

if you are using aol 9 then i guess that happens....just tell me when exactly it happens when you are using aol or surfing internet via aol browser or internet browser ....go to help and disable enhanced features of aol ....otherwise ....delet and reinstall aol software...before that...use the aol dialer rather than using aol software to hook on to internet....i guess if you can try this it should fix the problem...if you find any problem trying the above mentioned....then do not hesitate to phone aol techs.....after all they are getting paid because we are getting all this problem.....lol..hopefully aol tech understand it.....

It crashes when I'm surfing the internet on aol's browser. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling aol to no avail. How can I use the aol dialer? I would prefer using the dialer instead of aol's software because I dont use any of the other "features" it has.

Hi,

Have you tried hooking up to AOL for your web access then minimize it and surf with another browser other than IE, I have used AOL since '99 until recently it was my only method of connection, this is how I used to use it and found it worked bettter than using the bastardised version of IE that AOL runs as it's browser.

I have used Opera and am now just starting out with Firefox to see what all the hype is about, both are available free off the net so if you don't either one already you could download it and try it.

Cheers

Nodnerb2
    Cheers

Nodnerb2:D

AOL crashes

We seem to be having same problem on my parents' computer. Started about two weeks ago. We've got broadband and have AOL just because I don't want to change my email, web page addresses, etc. It wasn't related to adding memory, though. I guess I'll have to stop procrastinating and give up AOL soon.

What really makes it die is if I try to open something complex from the quick start menu. The little bar at the bottom of the window goes like it is starting to load, and sometimes it does that, but then it tends to stop loading completely, and then nothing but a reboot can recover. I've tried everything I can think of. Tech support (4 or 5 tries if I counted right) from AOL hasn't been helpful. The only option they mentioned I haven't tried is to reinstall Windows. I'd really like to slay this beast the right way. If someone knows the answer, by all means! AOL stops responding and I usually can't even open Task Manager. I tried going back to AOL 8, and it worked for a few logons, but then an update came (I'm guessing) that made it stopped working again, just like AOL 9 stopped working. Not that AOL content is such a big deal to me, I guess, but I keep wondering whether there is some other problem on the computer. I feel like ignoring the problem is to leave the computer defiled.

Some Tech guy said that I might not have the latest service pack of Microsoft's HTML parser on my system, so I think I updated that. To no avail, though. But indeed, about a week ago I got message "waol.exe--Entry point not found The procedure entry point XML_GetSpecifiedAttributeCount could not be located in the dynamic link library xmlparse.dll". But Windows update said the Windows files were updated; moreover I have only got that message once or twice amid the fifty or so times AOL has crashed, and not recently. And I tried running sfc /scannow, and nothing showed up.

I think I may have found a solution. Earlier this week I upgraded to AOL 9.0 Optimized SE Revision 4156.910 and so far so good. No crashes of the sort. Lets hope I don't jinx it, lol. Anyway, try downloading the upgrade and see how it works. Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information