+ Reply to Thread

Question Opening/Removing Compaq Presario Bezel

I'm having trouble getting into a Compaq Presario case. A friend brought in his Compaq Presario 5000 with a bum CD-RW and a replacement burner he bought at Newegg.

I'm able to take the left side panel off (single screw plus spring loaded lock) and the balance of the case is attached to the internal frame by pop rivets (obvious the remaining case side, bottom and top are not meant to be removed from the frame).

Inside the case frame, under the floppy drive cage there is a plastic "flag" lock that I've moved into the unlocked position, and there are three little latches/slots along the back of the frame front, which I've been able to push into the free position.

I've been able to force the bezel forward maybe a half inch but it still seems hung-up on the non-accessible right side of the case. I can't even get my fingers into this spot to check for latches.

There is probably some simple way to get the bezel off, but I can't find it. Can anyone offer some advice... it's gotten rather frustrating.

TIA,
    jmichna
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

Little more info:
    The specificf model is the 5WV280 and the case is a Newquay minitower.
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

Here's a link to Compaq's online Maintenance and Service Guide for the Presario 5000 Series.

http://h18027.www1.hp.com/athome/sup...e/1Cntrls.html

I hope it helps.

Todd
    We're doomed

Yikes, one more reason not to get a prebuilt, you need a jackhammer to get them open

I played around with a compaq from school not to long ago but it must be a different case design.
    “One things for sure: Whenever we play, our goalie stays warm.”
    - Ville Nieminen, Pittsburgh Penguins

Ultimate Member
    There is a trick to those but I dont remember what it is....but I think the Cd-Rom has to come out first....otherwise the front face plates etc wont budge....so try to get the cd roms out first....

I think when you get that colored cover off the front, that you will see a little lever or beside the cdrom to disengage it....if you dont get the covered plastic cover off the front, you'll never see the little lever and you'll be stuck....
    Last edited by John Prophet; June 7th, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Ultimate Member

Folks,
    I appreciate all the responses, BUT the biggest problem was getting the bezel off... and you can't get at the the drive rail tabs to pull the drive unless you get the bezel ("front cover") off first. None of the Compaq links had the proper illustrations and apparently you can't d/l the 5WV280 model's owner's manual for that specific case at HP/Compaq.

I did it, but it was a Royal PITA to do... first you need to remove the secondary hard drive cage, and then the primary hard drive cage (both are bolted to the floor of the frame. Once removed, that reveals yet another (previously hidden) tab that has to be pushed toward the mid line of the case, and there is even one more tab toward the top that I never could get to, but after forcing things a bit (remember, this didn't belong to me, and I was hesitant to use my ballpeen hammer, axe or chainsaw) and breaking one tab I got that front bezel off.

After things things went very easy, less than five minutes to uninstall old and reinstall new burner. Putting the bezel back on was a minor PITA, too.

This has to be the worst case for maintenance that I've ever run into. Pop-rivets instead of screws everywhere! Compaq must have saved, gee, at least $0.01 for each screw that was replaced by a pop-rivet....
    Last edited by jmichna; June 7th, 2004 at 12:25 PM.

Sorry it was a PITA, jmichna... but I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed!

Todd
    We're doomed

Ultimate Member
    yes, I had the same experience....it is like a puzzle trying to get into that case....the bad thing for me was that I took all the time to figure it out....then I saw another one like a year later..and of course by then I had forgotten the trick!

I found the answer in Compaq manual

Today I started replacing one of the CD drives in a Compaq Presario 5000. Was totally stumped. Worse than any Packard-Bell case. Found this discussion thread. Couldn't believe any nationally ranked company would make it that hard. Called the owner. They found their manual! Starting on page 7-3, there are pictures and tips and everything. Piece of cake.

1. Take the side door off as usual.
    2. Locate the drive door lock inside the chassis.
    3. Rotate the lock to the down position to unlock the upper front panel door.
    4. Press the indentation located on the lower front panel to open the lower door.
    5. Grasp under the bottom of the upper front panel door, lift up, and gently remove from the hooks. (Tip: The upper front panel door has finger holes.)
    6. Remove any of the bay components by pressing both sides of the drive rails. There are no screws.

Now I have a few choice words left to use on my golf game.

softhitter...
    Yeah, about three days after I fixed my buddy's Compaq, his wife found the hard copy documentation... it is a piece of cake, if you know what to do.

Glad you kept a few phrases in reserve for chasing the little white ball... I used a couple myself earlier today... cruising along at bogey golf... number 8 an easy 150 yard par-3... took a seven.... yikes.... screwed me up mentally for two more holes (quad, triple, double)

BTW, welcome to TIMO!

Ultimate Member
    golf has a way of finding words that are stored wayyyyy down there, lol

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by softhitter
    Today I started replacing one of the CD drives in a Compaq Presario 5000. Was totally stumped. Worse than any Packard-Bell case. Found this discussion thread. Couldn't believe any nationally ranked company would make it that hard. Called the owner. They found their manual! Starting on page 7-3, there are pictures and tips and everything. Piece of cake.

1. Take the side door off as usual.
    2. Locate the drive door lock inside the chassis.
    3. Rotate the lock to the down position to unlock the upper front panel door.
    4. Press the indentation located on the lower front panel to open the lower door.
    5. Grasp under the bottom of the upper front panel door, lift up, and gently remove from the hooks. (Tip: The upper front panel door has finger holes.)
    6. Remove any of the bay components by pressing both sides of the drive rails. There are no screws.

Now I have a few choice words left to use on my golf game.
    Thanks for the useful instruction/idea, even though it has been posted a couple of years ago. ;-) Got this "front-cover" problem, when trying to help a friend to remove the CD-RW drive. It is this cover that need to be removed in order to take out the CD drive.

No thanks to Compaq Presario 5000 series for having such a front-cover design which is not easy to remove.

Many thanks and Cheers!

Talking ophidianman

Bless you soft hitter. I too got my cover off 2 years ago and couldn't remember how in the world I did it. (Think I used a screwdriver and pried it off) The Compaq site is totally usless! Your instructions saved me an angina attack! Thanks.

another year later

my friend doesn't know how to use computers really and his compaq presario 5080us with the infuriating case design has been in the closet since 2001, when this discussion started. My other buddy gave me a newer burner and some ram from yet another presario 5xxx to add to the first one. then i found this problem. i'm glad i found this board before i broke the front off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information