+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy no power to hard drive

Yesterday after a suprise storm (i was at work) I noticed after I got home that my hard drive will not turn on. I push the button and nothing. My monitor, hard drive and everything is plugged into a surge protector and everything else works fine. Surge protectior looks fine aswell. Im running now off my roommates hard drive. I opened the case and to my naked eye on the phone with my dad (hes the computer guru) everything seemed fine. No fried wires, funky smells, no nothing. Ive tried everything but dropping it out the window. My roommate said that the power flickered before it went completly out, so Im wondering if that did it. It ran pretty much constantly before hand. Here are the stats (may not be complete. this is from the book my dad had with all the info on it)

Motherboard is SE440BX-2
    Intell Pentium III
    Windows 2000

something else called a AHA-2940/2940W PCI to fast SCSI host adapter. whatever that is.

thats all what I can find. My dad custom made this rig himself. anything else needed ill respond. thanks for any help!!!

Welcome to Techimo

Its the whole pc your referring to. Your hard drive is inside the pc.

For a simple test try by passing the power strip and plug the pc directly in the wall. If that dont work your power supply is likely fried. Being its a custom machine the powers supply should be common and easily replaceable with little cost. If you want to further the investigation, remove the power supply and open it up. There should be a fuse inside it. See if you can see if its blown.

Hopefully if your power supply is toast, nothing else is bad. No easy way of telling without trying another. Since your dad is a guru maybe he has a spare.

I think you mean "computer" instead of "hard drive" throughout your posting - it's a common mistake, so all is forgiven. Anyway, here are a few quick steps to try to fix your computer... unplug the power cord from the back of the unit (the one that goes to the wall). Then flip the switch on the back from 120V to 220V and back and forth again a bunch of times (5 or 10 times should do, making sure to set it to 120V once you are done). This can sometimes reset the fuse / circuit inside the power supply. Plug the power cord back in and see if it works. Note, the voltage switch (120V to 220V is recessed into the back of the computer and should be near the fan opening in the back. Usually it is orange in color and you can only flip it with the tip of a pen or a screwdriver).

If this doesn't help, unplug the unit, take the side / cover off of the computer, then plug it back in. Now, while looking at the fans inside, press the power button on the computer to turn it on. Do the fans move at all? If so, it's likely a component in the system shorting out (not the power supply itself). Unplug components from your motherboard one by one starting with the least critical (floppy drive, CD-ROM, etc.) and from the power supply, testing to see if it will power on between each disconnect.

Still not working or the fans didn't spin? Turn off all other noisy things in the room. Unplug the unit for about 1 minute. Then plug it back in and immediately press the power button, while listening to the back of the unit near the fan opening. Do you hear a high-pitched whine noise that goes away after about 5 seconds? If so, the power supply is toast.

That didn't work? Try swapping out the power supply for a known-to-be-working one if you have one on hand. If not, head over to a retail chain that carries them and that has a good return policy (no restocking fee) like Best Buy. Install a new Power supply and see if it works - if so, that was what died.

Usually power spikes kill the power supply unit (PSU) and don't get farther into the computer.

My suggestion to avoid this in the future: get an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) with a battery backup like the CyberPower 625AVR. It's about $60 and will "clean" the power going into your computer so stuff like this doesn't happen. It also has a battery backup with smart monitoring software, so if the power goes out, it can send a signal to the computer through a USB cable (the computer runs on the battery in this AVR unit), and tell the computer to safely shut down, preventing data loss, etc.

In response to Jman01pa's comments above, I do not suggest opening the power supply unit itself to examine the fuse. It contains a number of capacitors that can discharge without warning into your body or the unit's shell. They carry enough energy to seriously injure or kill you, and store that energy for months, sometimes years after the unit was last plugged into a wall socket.

FatalException is right about the dangers of a power supply. It can still be a solution but I dont reccomend it without the help of someone with knowledge of how to handle it.

THANKS ALL FOR SUCH A QUICK REPLY!!!! thats awesome. i'll try these and let everyone know if it wirks!!

thanks again!!!

Ultimate Member
    If you are using a dialup type internet connection, i.e. an analog type modem, lightning quite ofthen will destroy a computer by entering on the phone lines. Digital type modems are not affected by lightning because they work by a light source instead of voltage.

Sometimes, a dialup modem will be damaged but only short the system and nothing will work.

You can try removing the modem from the machine..and other cards..except the video..and see if that helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information