+ Reply to Thread

How to change BIOS boot sequence

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 about a year old (1GHz, 512 MB RAM 40GB HD, and has a Bios Version Intel A06.
    I want to change the boot sequence so that my CD ROM boots before my hard drive but can't figure out how to move the CD ROM up in the drive boot order. Some of the suggestions that I have received apparently are of a different BIOS Version of mine and pointed to a bar at the bottom of the Boot section that contained arrows to move the desired drive up or down in sequence. My computer has nothing at the bottom ,only a list of my drives in the order of boot sequence. Other suggestions were to use the Page Up and Page down and the letter ( c and d). I can see no way of making, or moving the boot sequence up a notch. Is there anyone out there familiar with the A06 Bios version, or have a suggestion of where I can find the answer? I may have to contact Dell yet but have faith in these boards. I have been posting on the Dell board with help but no solution so far. Thanks

Hi

Did you try to press Esc botton during start up?.. if you press for few seconds right after the memory counting .. it should present you with a list to choose FDD or CD-ROM or HDD0 .....ect

Try it coz it works with me as many other PC users ... but i`m not sure if it works with Dell`s system .. one way to tell though ..

Regards

Have you tried upgrading your BIOS? I think they're up to A14 now. I believe it's on Dells' support pages

Blog Entries
    I am not sure what BOIS version you are using, anyhow if i recall correctly my computer for me to change the boot sequence i highlight where the boot sequence is and then to change it i need to hit enter and a little dialog box will open up and I can then use the arrow keys to change my boot sequence. and do this for each items.

Not sure how yours is set up.

NeoStar

Thanks all, esp uethello. Upgrading the BIOS did the trick.

I took the changes and works fine now.

zen
    *If your computer is only a year old it should have worked before bios flash. Did a new keystroke solve this?

Zen: No, only the up and down, left and right arrows had any effect.

Before the Bios upgrade I would highlight the CD ROM, press enter, then highlight my desired position and then Enter again, The changes did not take effect. After the BIOS upgrade the changes were effected. I had to make several changes to get the order I wanted. Saved the settings and exited with save the settings.
    My first attempt failed. My computer would not boot unless the floppy was in the Number 1 position. I got a message to "insert a bootable disk". I made the floppy number 1 and the CD ROM number 2. Now when I boot I get a quick, one line message asking me to press enter if I wanted the CD ROM. I have to watch closly or it will pass by and do a normal boot. Don

Change Boot Option

Hit F12 as the system is booting and you will be able to change the boot sequence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information