+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Angry key fell off laptop keyboard...

One of the keys on my laptop just randomly came off and I can't seem to get it to stay back on. Are laptop keys broken once they come off and is there any suggestions on how to get it back on? Do I need to get a new keyboard for it?

do you mean the entire key mechanism? Or just the little plastic part that fits over the spring-like part of the keyboard?

If its just he plastic you secure it back on very delecately with a little bit of glue, but make sure it doesnt go down into the keyboard mechanism itself. If the whole key is broke though, you are prolly SOL until you buy a replacement keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by techdude007
    One of the keys on my laptop just randomly came off and I can't seem to get it to stay back on. Are laptop keys broken once they come off and is there any suggestions on how to get it back on? Do I need to get a new keyboard for it?
    I don't think individual keys can be replaced. I'm not positive on that though. However, most newer laptops allow you to remove the keyboard by just pushing in on two tabs near the top of the keyboard then sliding it off. So, if you are still under warranty, you could probably just tell the company what happened and they can just send you a new keyboard to put on.

Good luck!

I've got an older laptop (PIII-700) and if the keys pop off, you can usually pop them back on with a little wiggling and scooting around (no laughing). Try that.

Hi,

you can buy replacment laptop keys for any broken or lost keys for your notebook at this site, http://www.laptopkeys.co.uk

They also have a section describing how to remove and replace laptop keys.

Good luck

Angry keyboard

i have the same question.did you get answer for it yet?

Blog Entries
    Just press the key back on. You have to apply some pressure.

putting the key back

I had the same problem with my laptop. One of my keys fell off. The problem was to snap back the key, since apllying pressure would only snap the upper part of the key. What i did was to put a tiny piece of paper below the key retainer so i could delicately snap the the lower part of the key in the retainer. After that I removed the piece of paper ( you can do that using a slim and long object) and then applied some pressure on the key. It took some time but worked fine.
    Good luck and patience. Don't go running to your warranty, it's not worthy.

They just snap back on. I should know. I got a BTC keyboard and the paint of some of the letters comes off and the wifemeister, being dutiful and all, writes to them and they send (only) the keys we ask for. No extras. I expected a bag with all of the keys. Nope. No hap oter key.

There is a tiny little clip that may be broken on yours if the key won't stay on. Any computer shop should have an old key board they can filch one off for you.
    Johnathon Gruber is the most honest spokesman for the Democrat party.

To install your broken key or repair your laptop key, check out this video tutorial: YouTube - Replacement Keyboard Key Dell Inspiron Latitude Precision Installation Repair Fix Guide

Also check out, Replacement Keyboard Keys for Laptops | Fix, Repair, Replace, Install to order any of your broken laptop keys.

Thumbs up you can put it back on just be careful which key is it?

you can put it back on if yours is like mine. Mine is a new HP Pavillion dv6 Notebook PC. It has a 15 inch screen. it's awesome. but anyway, mine you can just take out the keys and put them back in. I know this because I took them out to clean the underneath. I only really use this laptop for school, so i need it clean. but be careful if you take them out, for the F7 or 8's are really delicate, more them the others. And if the little white thing that looks like a u and a circle in a rectangle, (the thing that you put the key over,) you can put that back on carefully but if you don't have the white thing (this is for the F5, F6,F7,F8 F9, ect.) the key will not go back on. On the letter keys, just push do slightlty and it should work. And yes, this is from a 15 year old, just trust it. unLess your laptop keys don't come off with a little force from someene taking them off to clean the underside.

laptop key

Quote Originally Posted by techdude007 View Post
    Hey there, you know what you can go to Laptop Keys Replacement | Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo Keyboards
    These guys have video's on how you can get your key back to its place , Or you can even just get a new key from them, thats what i did few weeks back

Hey there, you know what you can go to Laptop Keys Replacement | Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo Keyboards
    These guys have video's on how you can get your key back to its place , Or you can even just get a new key from them, thats what i did few weeks back
    Thanks. One of my laptop' keys is missing and I was wondering about this

Johnson from netbooks for sale blog

My aunts daughter took off serveral keys off her dell laptop, and broke couple of retainer clips, she was able to put back all but 2 keys, she was going to buy a new keyboard, but i gave her my buddies website, Replacement Laptop Keys | Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Gateway keyboards she was able to get the 2 keys replaced for $9.50 shipped, much better option than a new keyboard. Hope this helps, and email me if you want a individualkeys.com promo code :-)

Smile This works amazing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by felipe2009608 View Post
    I had the same problem with my laptop. One of my keys fell off. The problem was to snap back the key, since apllying pressure would only snap the upper part of the key. What i did was to put a tiny piece of paper below the key retainer so i could delicately snap the the lower part of the key in the retainer. After that I removed the piece of paper ( you can do that using a slim and long object) and then applied some pressure on the key. It took some time but worked fine.
    Good luck and patience. Don't go running to your warranty, it's not worthy.
    Thanks! My sister's cat just pulled off the number lock and with your help it's back on!!! GREAT Idea!

Laptop keys replacement

Check out Laptop Replacement Keys | Your Laptop Key Headquarters They have great prices for replacement keys and very helpful video illustrated installation guides to get your keys back together.

Unhappy keyboard

Have the key? Look at bottom... if it is not damaged ( broken plastic, 4 squares, round hole, cross etc.). If not damaged it is an easy fix. But can be a little time consuming. Done it before. Tell me which key... New here.
    Gotta know computer model...Serial # on bottom will work the best.
    Last edited by bob t; May 8th, 2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: additional info

sorry that happen to you, you first should try just to install a laptop keys replacement than rather a new keyboard, as keyboards are more expensive and alot harder to install.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Keymaker View Post
    Just press the key back on. You have to apply some pressure.
    Thanks! That worked. Except my cpu's not a laptop, it's a desktop. But you have to apply LOTS of pressure. The "F" key just snapped back on. I have no idea how it came off, though. When I approached my cpu the key was just lying there next to the keyboard.

Last edited by karmakarma; October 27th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information