+ Reply to Thread

my desktop icons won't show up

hey!...can anyone help me?....The other day I was starting my computer and everything was working fine...I have windows xp pro....anyways...i logged in there was and short pause at the log in screen then finally took me to my desktop and it just stopped!....My icons won't show up...i cant do anything...no taskbar, icons...nothing...just my wallpaper?...I don't know whats going on?...please help me!...

Perhaps explorer.exe isnt loading?
    Try, Alt + control + delete, then task manager and look through the little menus at the top for "run" and type in "explorer.exe" without the quotes.
    Not sure what the source of the problem actual is. Does the computer appear to be loading crap (hard drive activity)? Does anything at all seem responsive (can you move the mouse cursor? etc).

You might also want to try tapping F8 during before the windows boot screen (should bring up a selection menu) and try "Last known good configuration."

thanks....ill try...and yeah, i can move my mouse cursor, no sub menus pops up when i click the mouse button....

well i tried what you told me and nothing worked....when i go to the task manager and in run, to type "explorer.exe"....what exactly is it suppose to do...i dont think it did anything...it would pop up and then disappear.....i just dont know what the prob is...do you have anymore advice or can anyone help me...this is very annoying...i need my computer to do homework...during the load up..it asks me to press F10 if i wanted to change my bootstrap?..what the heck is that...it says to press 1 to disable network boot, 2 to network boot using interrupt 18h, 3 to use interrupt 19h, 4 to network boot using PnP/Bev(BBS), and 5 to network boot from RPL (Int 18h/19h)....

Talking i got an idea

hey how about trying this:
    First restart your computer or just turn it off and on again. right when its starts to load ( before you log in press F1 or F2 or which ever F's you can get to get somekind of screen from there. Then follows what it says. your computer is probably in safe mode and when its on safe mode nothing can pop up or show exept your mouse and your background. if thats the case of your computer then do as i told you at first. you also have to unlock your safe mode and by pressing one of those work then follow the intructions. it will tell you exactly whats up with your comp and how much space you got ect..
    the thing that caused your computer to fuck up like this it probably because your downloaded something thats full of viruses or you just put your fone to close to your monitor
    (magnets can cause your computer to fuck up 2)

tell me if anything is happening

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by chimizu3 View Post
    First restart your computer or just turn it off and on again. right when its starts to load ( before you log in press F1 or F2 or which ever F's you can get to get somekind of screen from there. Then follows what it says. your computer is probably in safe mode and when its on safe mode nothing can pop up or show exept your mouse and your background. if thats the case of your computer then do as i told you at first. you also have to unlock your safe mode and by pressing one of those work then follow the intructions. it will tell you exactly whats up with your comp and how much space you got ect..
    the thing that caused your computer to fuck up like this it probably because your downloaded something thats full of viruses or you just put your fone to close to your monitor

by the way i got the same problem right now (i tried what i told you and it worked on all my comp who had that except the big one (now im asking a technician(my friend Winston from school)))

I have the same problem

I have the same problem

My icons don't show. If I change display settings, resolution and color depth, to anything different the icons show, unil a reboot. If I change the display settings back to what they were the icons show until the next reboot. I can right click on desktop, select view, and select anything except classic icons and get icons back. But I can't set to classic icons. Suggestions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information