+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    yea yea sorry if i said it wrong i wann build someting like the alienware.

Bump for link changes/added info

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller
    Vantec to my knowledge are seemingly decent PSU's...
    The specs look good and if you can really judge by weight, they're solid feeling...
    Vantec as a whole is considered a good brand name... and I'd be highly surprised if they havent just rebadged a decent PSU from someone else...
    Just for the sake of curiousity.... why so high powered?
    what is it you think you will need that high a wattage for?
    I have a hard time justifying spending THAT kind of Money when something just as good and still overpowered can be had for half as much...
    http://store.yahoo.com/amamax/psspecialxcwt420atx.html

be surprised then. They make it ground up. And I have the Ion series 400BB. Its rock solid, heaviest PSU Ive ever seen. SUPER quiet. None this quiet I have ever used! The Vantec's are top notch for the $ no doubt.

I have built two systems with the xconnect psu and I am pleased with them both. The output is comparable to all others I have used (better in some) and the fact that is modular makes it a winner for me. Both are gaming machines and are very stable. One is a friends machine and the other is mine.

RMA'd first xconnect. Does not OC well. Many reviews on the web have changed
    Last edited by Front242; March 31st, 2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: clarity

Ultimate Member
    The Ultra XConnect completly failed the MaxPC stress test. I've also read user reviews of it breaking and failing. I'm going to stay away from it.

I saw an Ultra X Connect at my local computer store the other day and I agree, it is a top quality PSU. It was very heavy and shiny
    I'm going to make a box, buff it up, and throw a million weights in it and then sell it to you as a "top quality PSU". :P

haxxorpoop... you have a link to that?
    I searched maximum pc's website and saw no mention of a review...

The only reason the weight thing applies with PSU's is its a good sing of proper heat sinks. Light psu skimp on HS-run hot and usually fail early. Thats today with high watt pc's. I know my Vantec Ion weighs a ton, and for good reason. HUGE HS's, you can plainly see in it. Low rpm fan you cant hear at all, and it doesn't run hot. All those combined demand large HS's and weight will always, with todays psu tech be the side effect.

Ultimate Member
    It was in the acutal magazine. I dont know if it's leagal to scan magazine pages (arn't they protected under copyright?), but if an admin oks it, I'll show you.

Also, the issue after they published their PSU roundup, PC Power and Cooling sent MaxPC mail (which they published) detailing why modular power supplies shouldn't get points becuase they are modular (the PCPC PSUs arn't modular). They go on to explain how modulation gives less stablility in the PSU, and ultimatly, thats why you're buying a PSU in the first place. What good is a UV-lightfixtured-LEDed-OMGSOMANYLIGHTS PSU if it destroys the rest of your computer?

Xtreeme: Yes, but heatsinks != stablilty. I was just making the point that a heavy PSU != a good psu, not to mention he used the adjective "shiny" to describe this "top quality PSU".
    Last edited by haxxorpoop; March 4th, 2005 at 11:55 PM.

Regarding the Ultra X-Connect 500 watt: I had read some good things about this PSU at the extreme overclocking forum(PSU section), however several people are RMA'ing their units due to poor voltage regulation. They have removed ALL Ultra PSU's from their recomended list. That does NOT mean it's a bad PSU, but it does mean it's a bad PSU for someone who plans to overclock.

I own 2 Antec PSU's: a Truepower 380 and a Truepower 550. The 380 is an incredible unit, as I had been running beyond what the PSU calculators said was possible. I upgraded to the Truepower 550 because I knew I was maxed and wanted room to grow. I can overclock stable again! I also hit some new FSB speeds I could never get with the 380. Admitted Antec fanboy, but with the positive experiences to justify it.

Edit: BTW; JPMiller - that's a very nice PSU information post!
    Last edited by JLK03F150; March 5th, 2005 at 12:34 AM.

Ultimate Member
    JP: JLK basically said what MaxPC wrote: they have poor voltage regulation, which isn't a very good thing if you're going to spend ~70 bucks for a PSU. There are better choices out there for that price.

I like my cheap Vantec Ion. Hehe. $60 and 500watt max rock solid. I agree at $70 you expect CLEAN power. We know how touchy CPU's are to fluctuation in the power. Especially when oclocking. And boy do I oclock-heh. 2.4gig XP.

im useing a ibest 600watt $28.00
    runs 9 fans
    3 hard drives
    2 dvd 1 cd all righters

That seems really, ..........generic. Bad experience with generic psu's. From blown mobos to just plain fried pc's (almost all of it!). I did have one just go-without causing any harm. But I considered myself lucky. I cant find a review on that ibest even. Are your rails steady? I can garunte you one thing. Its not 600watt typical load like antec/vantec rate. ALL generic and some name brands even only list MAX watts which it cant sustain for more then 3-5 seconds without blowing! Vantec lists max sustained watts. 500watt psu does 500watts all the time and peaks at 600watts for a few seconds. This is for surge when booting. They really play games with the rating on watts. So what you really got is a 500watt psu unfortunately. How much does it weigh (just curious).

+12=12.416
    +5 = 4.892
    + 3.3 =3.28
    vcore=1.696

all holden within 5%

i hand a 550 rhycom died in one mouth

Ultimate Member
    Agrees. It seems a little generic, but if it works, it's fine, and you just saved a pile of money

Anyone have experiece with the new fanless PSUs? Comments on them, beucase I want to try to build a less-noisy computer.

how are logisys PSUs?
    i was just planning to buy one...

Ultimate Member
    Their cases seem to be ok, though a little over-the-top for me. Dont know about their PSUs though. Google it and look for some reviews.

Well first you would need to explain what particular model logisys your looking at... maybe a link to where your buying from...
    and then explain what kind of setup it would be powering

Quote Originally Posted by haxxorpoop
    Anyone have experiece with the new fanless PSUs? Comments on them, beucase I want to try to build a less-noisy computer.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article188-page1.html
    review of a good fanless psu
    however, the general consensus on that site seems to be that a fanless psu is NOT the way to go to get a quiet system. AFAIK, best you can do is get a Seasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreeme
    The only reason the weight thing applies with PSU's is its a good sing of proper heat sinks. Light psu skimp on HS-run hot and usually fail early. Thats today with high watt pc's. I know my Vantec Ion weighs a ton, and for good reason. HUGE HS's, you can plainly see in it. Low rpm fan you cant hear at all, and it doesn't run hot. All those combined demand large HS's and weight will always, with todays psu tech be the side effect.
    this is a good explanation/information and i suggest some of it be edited into the first post.
    Athlon 64 x2 3800+/2gb/asrock 939dual-sata2/gf6200/audigy2 zs plat/sonata + Asus V6J + Lenovo Ideapad U330
    Kubuntu 8.10

Ultimate Member
    I've seen reviews of most of the fanless PSUs, but I just wanted a consumers viewpoint on them. Thanks for the link though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information