+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-005&depa=0
    this was the one i was going to get. i need it because i just got a new 6600 gt and my current 350W PSU cannot support 6600 gt. i have about 6 fans(1 120mm 1 92mm 4 80mm) and 2 hdds 2 disk drives.

i only have around $60 for the PSU and that one is pretty cheap

Worst Tech Support 2005

These guys at Plextor actually make you the joke of the month in their shop. When I requested an RMA for a Plextor PX-716uf, they asked for me to take the drive through a series of tests. Roger, tells me that he thinks the problem is that I have the USB 2.0 switch turned to off. This is after I told him the drive was specifically used and tested with the USB 2.0 switch turned to on . The drive worked perfect before it just stopped reading, and being the good sport, although I am Dell and Networked certified, I still know the importance of taking all the necessary tests to satisfy the techies that... the drive surely is whacked. After 3 weeks, they still refuse to send me an RMA number for a new drive that fails to read/write. PLEXTOR is OUT for me for the rest of my natural life, and that's unfortunate, simply because I really liked their stuff. Goes to show the power tech support has on their product.

Tech support is very important to me. I am positive that it is "Customer service" that makes a company. Lousy tech support I truly believe has broken several companies. Anyone know of any comparable drives with good support behind it?

I Have RMA'd my first xconnect. Do not use them to OC.!I will amend my first post as well

i use a MGE vortec that is part of the XG range ( xtreem gamer) and i like it alot it looks great is very quiet and isnt hot at all. has more then enough power for any pc i can think of and i am only useing the 500 watt version metalic blue in colour the 600 watt is more powerfull and is a good metalic red colour. both models have dual fans 1x 92mm intake and 1 x 80mm exaust and a controller for them on the back just above the exaust fan.

i have been useing this psu for 4 months now and i cant fault it the only minor niggle i have is that the finish on it got scratched while i was installing it there is a little scratch on it but other then that the power that is produced is very constant and correct. as i said before the unit runs fairly cool. and the looks are extreemly good metalic blue or red aluminium finish and the fans are neon blue or red depending on wither you choose the 600w or the 500w.

i have also used a antec neopower and i would rate the vortec above it.
    Last edited by proffit; April 8th, 2005 at 11:23 AM.
    if it is not broken, play with it till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gigahertz205
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-005&depa=0
    this was the one i was going to get. i need it because i just got a new 6600 gt and my current 350W PSU cannot support 6600 gt. i have about 6 fans(1 120mm 1 92mm 4 80mm) and 2 hdds 2 disk drives.

I know its a old post but Vantec ION is name brand and cheaper!
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...103-474&depa=0 $58 shipped!
    R.I.P. TKOP
    You will always be in our hearts and thoughts. God bless.

well yes... but the +12V rail is Very low for a 400 watter
    GOOD 350's have at least 18Amps...

why is the 12V the most important rail in a PSU??
    RIP TKOP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arenal
    why is the 12V the most important rail in a PSU??
    Most cpu's used to run on the 5v rail. Today they all run on the 12v rail. I've never had a issue with the ION. Im clocked at 2.4gig rock solid with two stick dd400 512mb, 8 case fans-sata 160gig hdd, one dvd bruner, one pioneer dvd slot drive. A radeon 9800 and a Asus a7n8x deluxe board laoded to the teeth (which draws more juice, on the 5 and 3 rails).. Passes everything-cpu burn in-Prime 95-memtest 86 and sandra burn in wizard. IF the voltage fluctuated at those oclock levels it would fail-dead streight.

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Build-B.htm

Dont just take my word for it. There are tons of folks that love this psu for its stablilty and price. All the rating are 5 out of 5 stars. Thats pretty good-well as good as it can be.

"I bought this PSU for a new system I built with the goal of making my new rig as quiet as possible. Well this PSU was by far the best choice. This thing is quiet, I mean, really quiet. In fact when I first booted up the only reason I knew the system was on was by the case fans. It also provides more than enough power for even the most demanding rigs. If you are thinking about a new PSU and value noise, then you can't go wrong with this PSU. Maximum PC gave it a "Kick xxx Award" a couple of issues and I really value thier reviews. Thanks NewEgg for the low prices and fast shipping! "

"Powers an Athlon 2600+ Barton, 2 hdds, 4 optical drives, 4 PCI cards, and 3 case fans without any trouble. Was using an Enlight 420W, but had stabillity problems. Put the Vantec in, and smooth sailing for 4 months! Highly recommended. The extra outlet on the back is a nice touch, but limited use. Good for external enclosures, though!"

"I've used this for six months on a OC'd p4 2.4 (running 2.9something). All I have to say is that it supports 13 fans and the OCing while hardly making a noise while its dual fans help cool of my rig even further. It replaced an Enermax which was good but verry loud compared to this Vantec unit."

"I'm overclocking heavily with this psu and it's rock solid. I'm running an overclocked Athlon XP 2100+, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1GB DDR400, 80GB HDD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, Audigy, 2 other PCI cards, and lots of fans and lights. It's heavy (which usually gives away the high quality) and extremely quiet. For xxx, is there anything better? "

"This is the best power supply for the money you can get. Quality all the way around, heavy duty, quiet, solid. And Newegg, they are THE best source for anything. Period"

"very quiet power supply case is open and i still cant hear it and very good at getting hot air out of case. For the price a great buy cant go wrong on this 1!!!!!!"

"Quiet, even after 8+ months of 20-hour-per-day use, in somewhat dusty environment as well. Works great; originally purchased to try and fix a possible power problem (Turns out it was the Gigabyte 9700 Pro Radeon card itself, no adjustments to power ever stopped it from restarting Anarchy Online, the only game I play & the only game it messed up on). Great price as well, I cant hear this over the stock P4 fan, even with the side of the case off!"

"I switched to this PSU from a generic 350 watt unit, which had low 3.3V and 5V rails.

Now all the rails are right on target.

And its quiet, even when I just leave the setting on auto. "
    Last edited by Xtreeme; April 15th, 2005 at 12:42 AM.
    R.I.P. TKOP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller
    well yes... but the +12V rail is Very low for a 400 watter
    GOOD 350's have at least 18Amps...

Its not nearly that simple. See most (99.99%) of psu makers give MAX ratings. That means only for a moment sometimes under 2 seconds. So sure that psu may deliver 18a MAX for 2 seconds. But what is its constant not overloaded rating. See thats what most DONT tell you. But not vantec. They streightup tell you this is a 400watter at 16AMP constant. Momentary surges ar eup in the 500watt range. So its well over 18a max. Just its every day useage is rated for 16amp. Read into the whole scam on power rating like I did. ITs a gimmich and a half. Vantec is one of the first to give streight facts on its output. They even include a HUGE data booklet on its test results, power outputs, failure levels. Notta hidden-all right upfront.

Just to show Im not blowing smoke out my-well you know. Here check this, there are tons of of A+ rated reviews on it. And the 12v rail? Welp he says its the closest to spec volt out of ANY psu he has tested. So there goe sthe weak 12 theory.

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...action=reviews

"Vantec claims a 20-30db window from 0-100% load, and to test this I used my usual method of hooking up an Antec PSU tester and using an SPL meter. Sure enough, with no devices to actually power, the Vantec ION hovered between 20-21db. After connecting it to my main rig and gaming for a few hours, noise levels were about 24db. While this wonít qualify it for quietest PSU ever (the SilenX owns that title) it is definitely one of the quietest dual fan PSUs out there, and is certainly more so than the Stealth is.

As for voltage testing, using a multimeter the +5V gave me 5.1V, with the Bios reading around 5.06. +3.3 read 3.34V in Bios, and 3.38V on the multimeter, which is excellent. The +12V line is usually where most PSUs under deliver, but the ION proved to be very strong in this department. Bios read 11.88V, with the multimeter showing 11.94V. This is one of the closet readings to actually hitting 12V that Iíve seen on ANY power supply, regardless of its price tag.

Generally I was very pleased with the Vantec ION. Its got automatic temperature sensing fans, and allows for manual fan speed control, and is future ready with the included SATA power cables. It did very well in voltage testing, and I did not experience any sagging under load. Basically thereís really nothing not to like here. The less than $60 price online only makes it that much sweeter. Highly recommended"

Im telling you guys. At its price-its one of the best. Im very pleased with mine. Was going to get antec. But alot of reviews pointed me to Vantec instead. And the ion (budget) is quieter then their top tier (stealth series). Cant go wrong. After almost a year, mine is still jsut as quiet and solid as it was from day 1. Oclocked the entire time.
    Last edited by Xtreeme; April 15th, 2005 at 12:53 AM.
    R.I.P. TKOP

Nice info...
    I'll have to do some research into them...

When you're runnin' down my country, man
    You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me

are you asking wich is better?
    whats it powering?
    do you even need units that high?

Awesome!

totally cool, this help a lot to give *assurance* I have an adequate supply

has anyone tried or seen one of these
    CAS-PS-CI GAMINGSV

Colors-it 500 Watt Gaming Power Supply
    Description: Gaming 500 WATT ATX Power Supply with 120 CM Fan. 3 colors LED Light. Extra Silent. Silver Color. 6-IDE Connectors and 1-S-ATA. P4 and AMD Athlon Ready
    http://www.atd-inc.com/detail.asp?PR...-CI%20GAMINGSV

Blog Entries
    For any dell questions, I recently put a TT 420w in my Dimension 4600, and it basically slid in! The holes were a mm off, but that wasn't a problem for my drill. So I would say without major mods, a standard axt psu would work in the 2400, 3000, 4600, and 4700, there may be more but these are the only ones I know for sure.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

I plan to get an ePower PSU, is it Ok to use?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817101513
    28 amps on 12V rail, though.

Are Codegen's PSUs good?

E-Power seems to be ok as long as were not talking about the cheaper base units.

Codegen PSU's in my experience are NOT reliable.... newer units may be better than older units were, as they sometimes change manufacturers, but I wouldnt take the chance.,... get a unit from the "good" list

Well, then should I get this-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103927
    But, only 16 amps per 12V rail (2). Is that OK for a system like this-
    Sempron 2800+ (754)
    6600GT PCI-E
    1GB of RAM
    Sony Combo drive
    80GB Hard Drive
    Aspire Turbo case with lots of lights and 5 fans.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information