+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    ^ You don't even need $100...the FSP 400 will be plenty for pretty much everyone(except for SLI...and some ultra high end workstations/servers)...and its only $40.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

$17 + about $9 for shipping
    I just recieved 4 of these and they are rock solid and beatiful...
    Not for SLI, but great as a replacement for anybody using a generic 300-600 watt pos
    Specifications::
    Model No: TTGI TT-450SS (450W)
    +3.3V~28.0A,
    +5V~42.0A,
    +12V~18.0A.
    +5Vsb~3.0A,
    -5V~0.5A, -12V~0.8a).
    MAX OUTPUT POWER: 450W. Cooling: Air convention by +12V DC fan. 10 IDE connectors, 2 floppy connectors, +12V power connector, Aux power connector. Dimension: 6"(W) x 6.25"(L) x 3.5"(H)".

Blog Entries
    Nice find.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    Well I've been using the FSP400 for quite a long time now. *I guess you could call this somewhat of a review*
    Anyways, it has never failed me once to this very day. Everything is much more stable then my previous setup, and the volts are dead on.

It's extremely quiet and still pushes out tons of air. It barely get's warm and my system is overclocked pretty decently, also keep in mind I live in Florida, and as i'm sure you know, it get's hot here.

Anyways, as i'm sure you all know, I beleive this is the best psu bargain out there right now for non sli gaming rigs.
    4K PC: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win10 Pro
    HTPC: Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4.2ghz / 8gb DDR3 1333 / Evga 750ti / Win8.1 Home
    Laptop: Lenovo G50-45 / AMD A8-6410 / 8gb DDR3 1866 / Win10 Home

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller
    $17 + about $9 for shipping
    I just recieved 4 of these and they are rock solid and beatiful...
    Not for SLI, but great as a replacement for anybody using a generic 300-600 watt pos
    Specifications::
    Model No: TTGI TT-450SS (450W)
    +3.3V~28.0A,
    +5V~42.0A,
    +12V~18.0A.
    +5Vsb~3.0A,
    -5V~0.5A, -12V~0.8a).
    MAX OUTPUT POWER: 450W. Cooling: Air convention by +12V DC fan. 10 IDE connectors, 2 floppy connectors, +12V power connector, Aux power connector. Dimension: 6"(W) x 6.25"(L) x 3.5"(H)".
    Went back up to $29, Fortron is only a little more, so until these go back on sale, its not as good a value

Ok, I'm getting, or got a Thame Star 450W Model: ATX - 150...I can't seem to find any specifications...or does it have 12Volts and 20 Amps. I need to know because I'm soon getting the GeForce 7800GS 256MB AGPx8, and I want to know if that PSU will work???

Thanks in advance.

Why oh why would you buy a power supply sight unseen with no available specs? Price? Found it for as cheap as $11.99
    If you don't volunteer don't bitch!

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of Thame Star. It is probably anouther crappy generic off brand. And I definatly wouldn't let it get near a pc with any decent parts in it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104953
    That powersupply will be more than enough for your pc, and its pretty cheap.

Blog Entries
    Just looked at my 12V on everest. Its at 11.71
    Got a Rosewill 550watt.

does the 12V drop when more power is drawn on it and become less stable?
    Or do some just run a little below?

Im just trying to understand the quality of my PSU.

This is a link to a page with an indepth discussion of the weight versus quality of power supplies. It is on the 1st page of this thread but I felt it needed to be highlighted due to it's relevance. http://www.directron.com/psu.html
    I've used lots of cheapo power supplies in past years with good results. Though it seems the low-end models made in the last couple years have high failure rates. I just got a friends pc in with a bad 500 watt power supply. It is 3 weeks old. I have a 400 watt Fortron on order to replace it.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    Benjamin Franklin

carl33p,
    The on-board voltage sensors should be taken with a grain of salt. They're good for catching grossly off voltages, but they're not built to very exacting tolerances so I wouldn't trust them to identify slightly off voltages. The ATX specification allows a + or - 5% variation in +12V voltage, so your 11.71V would be OK if that's truly accurate. You should get a digital voltmeter and validate this before drawing any further conclusions. If it's below 11.4V (that's 5% down from 12V), then you should replace it.

Voltage will go down a little bit as you increase the load on the power supply, but it should never drop below the specification. Another thing that worsens is the ripple voltage. Ripple will typically increase as the load is increased. Again, as long as the power supply keeps ripple within acceptable limits (120mv peak to peak) this is OK.

See www.formfactors.org for more info.

I got a Turbolink 450 watt to replace my dead Antec 350 ATX.
    Turns out that my primary internet, secondary, and a tertiary PC were dead. So, I got this Power Supply, because I couldn't order anything online, and this was my only choice. And, I didn't realize Turbolink is a part of Aspire.
    However, even with an Athlon XP and a 6800, it seems to have decent power regulation, and it weighed ~ the same as my Antec.
    So, do you think it will last?
    I used a multimeter to test the voltages.

It may last... but I wouldn't bet on it. My experience with the cheapie PSUs is that if they don't blow out within a few days, they'll last maybe a year before finally giving out and possibly frying something with it.

It doesn't surprise me that it weighs about the same as your 350W antec. Aspire advertises peak ratings, which a meaningless value. The true, continuous rating is probably equal or maybe even less than your old Antec.

I would order a better PSU as soon as you get the chance. Think of the aspire as a temporary PSU that will keep you on-line till your permanent PSU arrives.

Well, my Antec lasted less than 1 year. And, my system doesn't eat up that much power (I think).
    Here are my specifications-
    Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
    Epox Socket A motherboard
    A XFX 6800 AGP
    Gigabyte G-Power
    Sony DVD drive
    160 GB Western Digital
    3 case fans
    1 Cold Cathode
    2 sticks of RAM (2x512 MB Kingston, for 1GB)
    If I had a choice, I would've gotten a FSP Group, but I couldn't use the Internet, because both this one and my backup died.

Quote Originally Posted by Reather
    Well, my Antec lasted less than 1 year.
    Lots of folks are saying that Antec's quality has been slipping for some time, so that doesn't surprise me . I don't have any personal experience with any of their more recent PSUs, but my old Antec 300W PP-303X is a real workhorse. It's been powering various boxes of mine for about 5 years!

What power supply would have great performance/cooling for an SLI setup? I plan on running two eVGA GeForce 7600GT's.

Quote Originally Posted by DanU
    Lots of folks are saying that Antec's quality has been slipping for some time, so that doesn't surprise me . I don't have any personal experience with any of their more recent PSUs, but my old Antec 300W PP-303X is a real workhorse. It's been powering various boxes of mine for about 5 years!
    I had a feeling Antec's were slipping. So, that leaves me with FSP Group. I think I'll get one of those.
    Hongfire, either a high end FSP Group (AKA Fortron Source or Sparkle) or an OCZ should be good. Newegg is not been working well for me lately, so I can't give you a link.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4730929#detailed
    This is a steal even before the rebate...
    this normally sells for $80-$100

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller
    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4730929#detailed
    This is a steal even before the rebate...
    this normally sells for $80-$100
    Very nice. I have been looking into getting a new mobo(one that supports agp and DDR400) and Conroe. And I am pretty sure I would need a new power supply with that as well(I would need 24 pin).

That might just do it.

Blog Entries
    This seems like a pretty good deal..... Ya, nah?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AP400W
    A-Power 400-Watt 20+4 pin ATX Power Supply
    Power Specifications:
    +3.3V, 28A
    +5V, 30A
    +12V, 25A
    -12V, 1.0A
    -5V, 0.8A
    +5Vsb, 2.5A

EDIT: Same company....would this PSU perform worse than there 400W PSU?
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...at=PWR&cpc=JAD
    Last edited by carl33p; August 1st, 2006 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information