+ Reply to Thread

Floppy only showing 1.38 MB???

I was trying to copy a floppy program to a diskette and the 1.4 MB file would not fit. The properties is only showing it at 1.38 capacity even though a format shows it to be normal capacity. Why is it doing this? I've never had this problem before. And I've tried different disks in different computers.

isnt that extra space u dont see the formatted area? disks only hold 1.38 megs. never more. just like harddrives, i have 30 gigs but only 27 Gigs +/- a few 100 megs show for use.

Some of the disk space is wasted when the floppy is formatted. I have a program (I don't remember where I got it) called GR Disk Utilities that will format a floppy to something like 1.68 Mb. It's the same format that Microsoft used to use on distribution disks to fit more on the disk (and make it harder to copy). I'm sure there are many other similar programs that will do the same thing.

shahani
    1.38 MB is correct. See they count 1 kilobyte not as 1,000 bytes but as 1,024 bytes. So, its Ok. Your 1.4MB file is actually 1.4MB times 1.024 =1.4336 MB and thats too big for a floppy to take unless you use the utility howste says - GR Disk. That will format the floppy to 1.68MB but not all floppy drives can read it.

Added another cow to the heard!

DUH!! If I had brains and some memory (otherthan computer memory), I'd be dangerous! The disk I was trying to make is a small Linux ECCp program called Trinux and the file I was trying to copy was a disk image which I needed to use RawWrite. It had been awhile and I forgot. Thanks for the replies anyway.

NDC
    Xtreme Member
    Yep, 1.44 is the unformatted capacity... I remember seeing a post about a disk utility that enables you to save over 1.38MB if I remember correctly...
    [NDC]

actually the unformatted raw capacity is 2.0MB(2,000,000 bytes not 2,097,152 bytes) add formatting space and convert that to megs and you get 1.38MB. sucks huh? Yes there are utilities to format it up to 1.68MB or so, but some computers have problems reading these types of disks and plus, most of the time 300K isn't gonna help much with todays files.

Ultimate Member
    Do you folks know any tricks for getting say 2MB of data on more than 1 floppy? Whenever I try, the computer just tells me it won't fit. I would like it to say, please insert disk 2 now.

msterzer,
    There are lots of utilities that will split files to multiple disks. Just do a search for them. I use one called SplitIt and I've used another called Splitty.

Here's the link for GRSoftware, the makers of GRDuw. I've used that proggy in the past to format 1.44 floppies into 1.72's. It works great. They also have a driver that lets you read the 1.68 and 1.72 formatted floppies in DOS.

The limitation on floppies is mostly the drive. This I learned after the Amiga was being cloned, they used PC style floppy drives but could not the disk to the same amount as the Amiga HDD drives. The Amiga HDD drive could format to 1.76mb and still read/write/format DOS/Mac disks.
    Last edited by lost; February 15th, 2002 at 01:11 AM.

GRDuw 4.1.17 Disk utility for Windows Me / 98 / 95.
    Updated on: 1 October 2001 - 444 KB

NOTE: DUE TO THE MANY CRACKS AVAILABLE ON THE NET THE DOWNLOAD OF THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED!
    We are sorry for honest people but we cannot pay our web site overloads for fun.

Wow. Bummer TOAD6147! If you want you can PM me and I can search my files and send it to ya.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information