+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation PC Turns Off Automatically

Hello friends,

I've been experiencing a very strange problem for sometime and I'm in total confusion as what would have caused this damn problem. The problem is that my PC turns off automatically on its own. Sometimes even after 5 seconds of rebooting the PC, it turns off without any notice or messages. This happends very frequently and its very annoying since I would have to reboot again and again till its stable and continue smoothly maybe for around 10 - 25 minutes until its turns off again. I've checked the CPU temperature and its around 60-65 C and I'm not sure if this would have caused the problem. If there is anyone out there who would have experienced this problem and came up succesfully with a solution, please do advice me on what should I do. Or even an idea would do to help me out. Thanking in advance.

Regards,
    Reagan

Ultimate Member
    60-65C is too hot. You need to cool down the processor more. I do not know if that is what's causing your problem, but it is a problem nonetheless. It could also be a bad powersupply.
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

Quote Originally Posted by RamonGTP
    60-65C is too hot. You need to cool down the processor more. I do not know if that is what's causing your problem, but it is a problem nonetheless. It could also be a bad powersupply.
    If that's the case, then what am I supposed to do to keep the temperature all time low?

Quote Originally Posted by reagan87
    If that's the case, then what am I supposed to do to keep the temperature all time low?
    check your thermal paste or replace cpu cooler could be failing , i m sure there is a failsafe setting on your mobo and/or cpu that when it overheats it shuts down to protect your hardware so check you cpu fan for sure / example i am using stock standard cooling and my cpu runs at about 40degree celsius and that is with a maximum load that i could inflict , 100% cpu usage
    Last edited by halo123.; August 30th, 2005 at 05:45 AM.

Ok, what chip are you running? 60c is too hot for an amd, but is almost normal for a intel, especially the more recent ones. In either case, this wont be your problem given that the stock settings in bios do not turn off your computer until it reaches 100c plus. Having said that if you do have an amd getting some better cooling wouldnt hurt.

What i would do is keep an eye on the voltages coming from your power supply, you may find they are over/undervolting resulting in the computer turning itself off to prevent damage to the components. Also you'll want to check your graphics card's fan, it could be that which is overheating, although if its an older one you probably wont be able to monitor it.

Super F@D Folder
    what are you using to get your cpu temps first of all.... Second, open the computer case and take a large fan. Point the fan directly into the computer...does this solve your issue? If not, run the computer again and watch the fans....do any of them stop spinning or behave irradically or anything like that? Did you build this computer yourself or did you buy it pre-built. Also, have you upgraded or added anything to it?

I've just pasted a new thermal compound and replaced the CPU heatsink and the fan with a newer ones. But it seems that the problem still persist. I'm currently running an Intel Pentium 4 chip. And after replacing all this newer items, it also seems to be that the temperature has risen to 68-70 C at the moment. What can I do to keep the temperature all time low? And i am not pretty sure about the Power supply but it has an output power of 400 W.

Quote Originally Posted by andy1984
    60c is almost normal for a intel, especially the more recent ones. In either case, this wont be your problem given that the stock settings in bios do not turn off your computer until it reaches 100c plus.

What i would do is keep an eye on the voltages coming from your power supply, you may find they are over/undervolting resulting in the computer turning itself off to prevent damage to the components. Also you'll want to check your graphics card's fan, it could be that which is overheating, although if its an older one you probably wont be able to monitor it.
    You can check voltages with everest home or similar, which is free

I know what the problem is ( go here and uncheck the box)

Ok go here

right click My computer
    go to Properties
    go to Advanced
    click on Startup and Recovery click on (Setings) at the buttom of page

in side there you will see System Failure in the middle of page
    look for Automatically restart and uncheck it, this should fix the problem

I know I've been there and it really Sux. no one had a clue what I was talking about until I found it on my own

what OS do u have, I have XP, 2000 this is the right steps to fix the problem,

Help this helps

Thumbs up

I just biult a new unit that had this problem. Fix: the bios had the primary display adapter set to PCI. The above fix, ( i.e. right click "my computer, startup & recovery, settings...), did not work. CPU temps are normal. Power supply @450w .
    All parts are new except CDRom &CDRW. I'm listing this reply to provide anyone else with this problem a possible solution.
    It's a damn frustrating one!
    Last edited by Blitzkreig75; September 2nd, 2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: incomplete
    Check out my music:
    http://www.bandmix.com/blitzkreig75/
    System error 99909: Bang head on keyboard to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkreig75 View Post
    I just biult a new unit that had this problem. Fix: the bios had the primary display adapter set to PCI. The above fix, ( i.e. right click "my computer, startup & recovery, settings...), did not work. CPU temps are normal. Power supply @450w .
    All parts are new except CDRom &CDRW. I'm listing this reply to provide anyone else with this problem a possible solution.
    It's a damn frustrating one!
    I have the exact hardware and the exact same problem too! It's very frustrating! Please someone help!

I ve been experiencing nearly the same prob. I think it is the power supply which is at fault in your case because as u say it goes off everytime.
    In my case sometimes the pc works fine and sometimes it goes off automatically. Then it doesnt start for 2 3 hours and its f9 again. checked tempratures. someone help

turns off

just see whether RAM is attached properly, re-insert it.
    also graphic card or any other components that you have integrated on it.

RAM will be working partially, check ur RAM in other PC.

Check ur RAM. It will be working partially.

Thumbs up Solutions - PC Turns Off Automatically

Solve your computer problem try following steps:-

First of all, you may check your all computer peripherals & wires connections that they are working properly or not.

Second, You may collect the back up of your all files and folders in system then turned off the PC directly from the switches and after that restart your system.

Third & last is contact to technician. Because all problems are not easy so you need right suggestions and help.
    I hope after that your PC will work properly.

Computer and PC Hardware Sales
    Swiftcomputers.com.au

pc turning off on its own

your pc is infected bud, trust me. i got an amd phenom ii 4 coreand mine turns off on its own. also its doing mad stuff it would never do.

Ahhhh ... little nuggets of wisdom for people having issues almost 7 years ago...
    I wonder if Reagan is still struggling with this?

I love how everyone knows exactly what the problem is when it could be any number of things.

That said, I know what the problem is! Your computer is only partially plugged into the outlet in the wall and when you visit those naughty websites you shake it loose and the computer shuts down. (might I add that you may have a problem if your computer is shutting down moments after starting up )

Cheers
    Cute

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information