+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Computer shuts down with no warning

Hey guys
    I'm having a problem with my computer shutting down without warning. No blue screen of death or anything. No virus'. I'm guessing my processor is overheating. I downloaded MBM 5.something and used the settings for L7VMM (Mine is L7VMM2 Rev1.0A). Tweeked with the settings a bit and figure the CPU is running @ 50*C. This is high. The case is running at 38*C.
    The reason why I tweeked with the settings is that it said my cpu was running at -55*C (yes negative 55). Just plain jane. I do clean it regularly.
    Have tried turning off each of the firewalls.
    Side of case has remained open since this problem started.
    The computer is about a year and a half old, with 2X256mb ram (Infineon) modules and no other mods.

Any ideas?

newbie oh temp just went up to 59*C

eMachine H2341
    L7VMM2 Rev 1.0
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    Windows XP SP2 with all updates
    eTrust Antivirus
    XP Firewall and Zone Labs Zone Alarm
    Last edited by eMachine99; January 2nd, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Banned
    An Atholon XP2400+ maxes at about 85-90C according to AMD specifications. 50C with any
    load is actually running well within normal temp ranges. An Atholon XP3200+ used here ran
    at 61-73C without system shutdowns. It did experience sudden reboots at times due more
    to memory however. Your board most likely has a manual shutdown feature in the bios that
    is set to where the system powers down when the temps reach a point. This is common on
    the older model boards and can be manually raised or disabled in the bios. If you choose to
    disable this feature in the bios first install the Asus Probe for setting the max temp.

The Asus Probe utility comes with the mother cd and is found in the utility folder on the cd.
    It can also be downloaded at sites like: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3301.html

I dont have an asus motherboard it is an Elite Groups (ECS) motherboard,
    I don't know if my cpu is overheating but I did read that it is good for 80-90 C.
    So maybe my problem is something else.

My computer has done the same thing lately. I can't figure it out either?
    939 x4200+ A8N-E Mobo Dual Channel 4x512 DDR400
    Seagate Baracuda 320gb+80gb Sata 8800GT

so has my father in laws, his is totally pooped though
    He has a new high end P4, luckly still under warranty

Blog Entries
    Make sure everything is updated like anti-virus and updates to software and hardware...

I just fixed two computers that did the same thing...they were both E-Machines, and they both had faulty power supplies. E-Machines sent new ones...problem solved... for one of them...the otehr still does it...maybe another bad PSU sent...I think it is an E-machine problem on there lower end models. Not sure.

Famos

I did get a hijacking virus about a week or two ago, which I hope reinstalling xp cured. Though I did read on the net that the format xp does is not as thorough as the old windows version's reformats. I don't think it's related though, dunno?

You want ideas about how your computer turned off or ideas to solve the problem?

The problem is passive. It could be either over-heated or the power supply. But I think it is over-heated. You can try replace with another power supply, for trial and error.

For over-heating, probably the clocking problem or adding more fans for your system to cool down a little.
    If only the dead can speak, then we will know what's happening to us all next...

I personally find my computer goes through bouts of fits. Sometimes I may get BSOD's alot for a week, then not for a long time.

This is a new thing it's doing now, and I assume if I ignore it, and make sure I scan it every few days for viruses/adaware, that it will eventually quit...perhaps taking on a new quirky annoyance in the process. Hehe.

It isn't perhaps the most responsible way to deal with the problem, but after spending so many hours reinstalling everything after actually getting that trojan, I could care less if it needs a doctor again. It can fend for itself.

Ultimate Member
    Just becuase the core can handle 85-90C before it fries by no means does that equate to it being able to run stable at those temps. I personally wouldn't trust your temp readings, especially if it was showing -50C. If you want to rule out temp issues, first you need to be sure your HSF is mounted properly and has thermal compound applied to it. Next thing is to make sure its not full of dust. Then you can take a standard house fan and have it blowiong directly into the case with the side panel off. If the random shutdowns go away, then you have a temp issue. If shutdowns still plague the machine then it is possible that the problem is something else. Another thing to do is check the bios and see what your shutdown temp is set to.
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

Blog Entries
    I haven't worked on an E-machines computer that even allowed temp monitoring...at least in Everest...but I've only worked on a couple of them...

Famos

Banned
    Does your board have a hardware monitor? One way to see if your cpu is over the prime is
    either the builtin monitor or an eMachine temp probe if they provide one. Sometime pointing
    a fan at the side still isn't to determine a stock hs/fan combo gave out. The original thermal
    pad which is preformed paste let go over the chip on the Atholon here while the seal around
    the base of the sink looked intact. Don't get fooled. The paste separated. Another thing that
    can get you is the shutdown temp setting in the bios itself. If it is set low enough to reach
    the normal cpu temp with a load the board will switch off as part of a cpu protection circuit.

Most of the newer boards don't use the manual settings any longer. Take a look in the mb
    manual to see if there are adjustments for shutdown temps for board and cpu. Without any
    load the cpu should average below the 42-46C range if there is adequate cooling.

I do remember wiping some of the thermal paste off by accident when I was cleaning the heatsink.
    What is a good brand to by and try.
    Don't know about the hardware monitor thing, what is it exactly and how would I find it.

Ok u guys inspired me, I finally got around to cleaning out my own heatsink and fan. It was pretty full, hehe. Problem solved perhaps.

Ultimate Member
    Arctic Silver 5 is widely regarded as the best thermal compound to use.
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

Blog Entries
    I use Arctic Silver 5 with my Zalman 9500, and it lowered my temps another 3-4 degrees after a week or so during it's burn-in phase. I recommend the AS 5.

Famos

Don't bother getting pulled into the hype of thermal compound effectiveness...
    There is only the merest difference as long as its applied correctly...
    I used to be one of those who only used artic silver and thought it made a big difference....
    NO....
    MAYBE, if your an overclocker who's already going to great lengths and trying to eke out just a few more degrees...
    Otherwise just thinly apply white generic grease and be done with it...
    Trust me,... I've built hundreds of systems and tried dozens of types and ways of applying... just keep it simple, it wont matter...
    --------------------------
    I wont deny that you can sometimes lower temps by 2-3 degrees under perfect circumstances...
    But in general there are many other ways to improve cooling in a much greater, more effective scale...
    Last edited by JPMiller; January 3rd, 2006 at 02:09 AM.

The people at the local computer stores said basically the same thing as JP just said.

Its been well documented...
    Several sites, reviewers, magazine articles, etc. have all concluded that fancy thermal compound is essentially a waste of money...
    usually the temp drop is due to correct application and other factors other than JUST the material used

Banned
    Then there are the alternatives to stock heat sink/fan combo cpu cooling at:
    http://www.coolerguys.com/socket7370a.html that go along with Artic Silver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information