+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Turn on WoW and computer shuts down

Soon after I launch WoW my computer will just power off. I get a black screen and all my case fans turn off but the PC lights stay on. I've tried re-installed drivers and WoW but haven't fixed it. When I reboot I check cpu tempreture in BIOS and usually reads in the low 50's C. I don't know if that is high. This only happens when trying to play a game what could this be?!

Also notice the 12v rail haning in the 11.8x range
    Last edited by KraidSaves; April 30th, 2006 at 07:45 PM.
    Black Edition 955 x4 /sapphire hd 6870
    seasonic 520watt psu /1 TB WD
    8 gig G-Skill Ripjaw 1600 / Asus m4a89GTD Pro/usb3

Blog Entries
    Could be the video card going "no no, I'll go do something else now." Usually in a driver hang, the system stays powered.

BTW, awesome avatar. Pisces ftw.

Blog Entries
    Hmm.... maybe the 30 gig hd? If you have at least 10 gig of free hd, I wouldn't worry about that...but still how can you live with only 30 gig of hd??

I would also suggest running downgrading your copy of wow and then running repair...

You can downgrade your copy of wow by going to World of Warcraft/data/
    Delete Patch.MPQ Run repair.exe found in the main folder The repair.exe will detect that there is a problem and asks if it should fix, click yes once it 'repaired' right click on wow.exe and click the version tab and make sure the version has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by xelnanga
    Hmm.... maybe the 30 gig hd? If you have at least 10 gig of free hd, I wouldn't worry about that...but still how can you live with only 30 gig of hd??

I would also suggest running downgrading your copy of wow and then running repair...

You can downgrade your copy of wow by going to World of Warcraft/data/
    Delete Patch.MPQ Run repair.exe found in the main folder The repair.exe will detect that there is a problem and asks if it should fix, click yes once it 'repaired' right click on wow.exe and click the version tab and make sure the version has changed.
    This is I've already tried re-installing the whole thing so I don't know if running a repair would help any =/. I'd also like to know if 50-55c is too hot for a processor. This is usually the temp under load.

Blog Entries
    That's warm, but acceptable for Pentiums, I think. Those should throttle anyway, not just kill power.

It almost sounds like a PSU problem to me. Like the video card is kicking up and kills it.

But when you say start up, where does it actually go down? Like right after you click the icon, or when you're logging in, or?

The computer would usually shut off just after I logged into WoW and the loading bar finished. It would load and get in the game for about 2 seconds before shuting down the comp but sometimes like now, it turns off as soon as the game title screen appears. I really think it could be something in WoW (files) but I don't understand how that could be if I reinstalled the game.

Here is one message I got on startup after a bad shutdown.
    "World Of Warcraft/WTF/config.wtf ... first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated" something to that extent...

I just put some more grease on heatsink so I guess that's canceled out. So it's either corrupt WoW files (which I can't understand since I reinstalled) power supply, or the video card. I just don't know what it could be.

I'm doing the repair also, it's worth a try.
    Last edited by KraidSaves; April 30th, 2006 at 10:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'd say give your RAM a check with memtest86.

I had a similar problem with WoW, where it would go for a while, then it would tell me that patch.mpq was corrupt, and halt the app.

It's not much of a lead, but it certainly sounds feasible given your situation and the errors you see.

There is a website out there that has a burnable ISO of a bootable CD with memtest86 on it. I wish I could remember it, but I can't. Just google "bootable memtest86" and you should find it quick enough.

Did you hear SP are recording a new album?

Unhappy Was a solution ever found?

Incredibly sorry to dredge up such an ancient thread, but I've recently been having the exact same problem, but with extras. WoW would shut down my computer just as described above, but a system restore would usually clear the issue up but it would return sometimes the next day, or a week later. Now I've reinstalled WoW several times, reformatted my entire computer several times, and I'm still having the issue.

Only now, after the latest reformat, Windows was doing it usual downloading updates etc, and after a I rebooted from on update as needed, now the computer shuts down as soon as the Welcome screen appears after the Windows load screen. I can't even get the damn computer up and running before it turns itself off.

It doesn't sound like a HardDrive problem, or a Motherboard problem, or a Power Supply problem. Video card drivers all up to date, infact, ALL drivers upto date. I've tried everything since this issue first came up some while ago now and nothing works permanatly.

It was just WoW, no other game or program would do it. Ever. Now Fricken windows does it too. Right when I thought I got it figured out too

Unhappy Was a solution ever found?

sorry, double post

Run Memtest first.

Similar Issues

Snowcat78,

I am very interested in whether you learned anything more about this issue as I just started experiencing the exact same problem this morning. Sequence of events went like this:

Installed WoW 3.0.2 updates, tried to play but servers were too unstable. Left and went away till the next morning. Found the computer had rebooted due to automatic Microsoft updates. Attempted to run WoW only to have it shutdown the computer. Occassionally the system shutdown without being in WoW, but it always shutdown in WoW. Cleaned all airways, verified power supply, ran memtest, reset all memory, and cable connections, uninstalled WoW and Microsoft updates.

Reinstalled WoW, got all updates, no addons installed. The system continues to shutdown completely. Verified in 1024 resolution as well as at 1900 resolution. I can run Countersrike, Halflife, Halflife source and Condition Zero at 1900 resolution without the system shutting down.

Any assistance that you or anyone else can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Bosmun

WoW is a MMORPG, and your computers are very smart to shutdown when you try and play that game. . Does this problem persist when you try and play any other games?
    Quote Originally Posted by pullmyfoot View Post
    Aha. Well that was a waste of time I feel quite stupid now
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgey View Post
    CPU: AMD 64 Pentium 4 (939 Socket)
    Quote Originally Posted by strjms72 View Post
    Craysis is more better than COD 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcat78 View Post
    Incredibly sorry to dredge up such an ancient thread, but I've recently been having the exact same problem, but with extras. WoW would shut down my computer just as described above, but a system restore would usually clear the issue up but it would return sometimes the next day, or a week later. Now I've reinstalled WoW several times, reformatted my entire computer several times, and I'm still having the issue.

Only now, after the latest reformat, Windows was doing it usual downloading updates etc, and after a I rebooted from on update as needed, now the computer shuts down as soon as the Welcome screen appears after the Windows load screen. I can't even get the damn computer up and running before it turns itself off.

It doesn't sound like a HardDrive problem, or a Motherboard problem, or a Power Supply problem. Video card drivers all up to date, infact, ALL drivers upto date. I've tried everything since this issue first came up some while ago now and nothing works permanatly.

It was just WoW, no other game or program would do it. Ever. Now Fricken windows does it too. Right when I thought I got it figured out too
    WHO DISTURBS THE SLUMBER OF MY ANCIENT POST???

The thing that did the trick for me was getting a new power supply. Back then I was using an x800 XL ati and I guess I had a cheap power supply that wasn't powering it well enough. After installing the new power supply I never had the problem again. You must have a very different setup if you're playing games like the ones you mentioned but a new power supply was what did the trick for me. Best of luck.

Oh and I'm real sorry I didn't post my solution a long time ago, my bads
    Last edited by KraidSaves; December 4th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

way to dredge this up again after we posted 2 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Fizur2002 View Post
    way to dredge this up again after we posted 2 months ago
    thank you

and way to be a douche bag

someone might find this thread again and I thought I'd put a conclusion to the thing finally so maybe it might not get dredged out again
    Last edited by KraidSaves; December 5th, 2008 at 03:19 AM.

your welcome

Same issue as well

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcat78 View Post

I have the same issue as well. It just started happening all of a sudden 1 day after almost a year of having WOW on the same computer/same software/ same everything. I played for about 3 minutes and then the computer crashed. After that I re-loaded tried again, lasted maybe 1-2 minutes, and then the computer just powered down. No blue screen - just powered down. Then it wouldn't even start up past windows loading screen before it powered down again.

I have since installed a New Graphics Card (Nvideo 8800 GTX) and a new 500GB HD - and installed Vista 64bit - and tried to re-load everything from scratch. I put WOW back on the computer after a few weeks - and it ran fine for about 3 weeks. Then 'all of a sudden' I have ran into the exact same problem again. Play for a few minutes - and then computer powers down. I fear playing it again now - as the last time this problem occured - I was forced to reformat my HD because windows couldn't even get up and loaded. *Grrr.
    My Cooling is fine on the CPU - and I tested each and every stick of Ram (even tried to circulate a few other sticks from a friends computer that we knew were good.) Same problem, every time.

So if it's not RAM, Not CPU temp, Not Graphics Card, and Not HD - and not Drivers (installed and updated everything to date). What could it be?
    No other game on my computer does this (POP 2008, GRID, Crysis, etc.) And those have to suck more Power than Warcraft. So it's likely not a Power supply problem either. It's only when I play WOW.
    But more importantly than why it's happening (though that would be very helpful to know) - HOW DO I FIX?!?!
    It just seemed to happen randomly - and now it won't

Plea

oops- didn't mean to post twice.
    Oh well - anyways if someone solves this PLEASE post here!
    Last edited by johnneedshelp; December 19th, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: double post

what is the power rating on your power supply? Just humor us for good measure.

Blog Entries
    Fizur, people come here to get help, not your sarcasm. I recommend you learn how to offer help without being a smartass. The community is full of threads for that purpose.

johnneedshelp - As Fizur alludes to in his previous post, it sounds like a power issue. 8800GTs are not known to be eco-friendly, they require a good deal of amperage and wattage when under stress. It IS strange that the computer will run Crysis without problem but now WoW, though.

Have you checked the WoW tech support forums? It's probably a better place to look for help with the game than a general forum like this one (though there are many many threads here dedicated to WoW problems).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information