+ Reply to Thread

Optiplex GX270 won`t start

I picked up a used dead 2003 build Dell optplex GX270 a while back. It`s a fairly standard build with a P4, sound and video on board, 512 of Micron pc3200 .....nothing special. When turned on, the power light would light up and that was it.I replaced the memory on it, reloaded the OS and it worked like new so I gave it to my daughter. She decided to put a PCI wireless network card in it and since then it has reverted back to not working again. She pulled the card and gave the computer back to me.
    I have re-replaced the memory...no change, replaced the power supply....no change, unplugged everything except the hard drive......no change.
    Basically, when I turn it on the case fan and PS fan turn on, the light on the mobo comes on and that`s it. No POST, no beeps.
    I`m thinking a mainboard failure but not sure. Give me your thoughts. Thanks, Gary

Prolly a mainboard failure. I deal with a lot of those blasted dells and we usually swap the board at a time like that and it usually works. Can't say that I'm correct on this because I dont have machine in front of me, but its a good possibility. Try resetting bios too.
    Phenom 1100T @3.8GHz//8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333//XFX HD6870 Crossfire//Win7 64//3DMark11: P6702

What about the diagnostic lights? Go here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ve.htm#1235408

What does the system light indicate? Go here for the chart:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ve.htm#1236733

.....Okay, I reset the BIOS with the same results. Here`s another question, Should I look into a Dell replacement mainboard or say screw it and just get an apprpriate aftermarket board? I`m leaning toward screw Dell. Thanks, Gary

Sorry, Osprey4, I didn`t see your post. I have yet to find the diagnostic light array. I`ll look again and post back.
    Last edited by gjwilson; May 11th, 2006 at 09:13 PM.

In the back.

Finally found the little buggers hiding just below the monitor port and they show that I have it turned off. Or rather, no lights light up when it`s on or off which they fail to describe in their list, but it was a nice site I was unaware of.

I forgot to mention that the power light is a steady amber which, atleast, indicates some power issue but it recommends contacting Dell and I`ve been down that road before. Since I`m not the original owner with a paid service agreement, they won`t talk to me.
    I`ll just make sure everything is properly attached.
    Last edited by gjwilson; May 11th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.

Cool

disreguard
    Last edited by HITECH12; October 1st, 2007 at 04:40 PM.

about the problems

if it is a solid amber, and it does not look like a power supply issue, you need to get a new mainboard for your system. Also , check into getting your bios updated as well, you wouldnt believe the things that an outdated bios can do to your system. But if you really dont see a point in fixing it up, then go out and get a cheap system , depending on of course how this system will be used you might not want to go that route. any mobo will do in terms as long as its compatible with other hardware.

this may be the bad capacitor that dell gx270 usually have problem about. read this for info:
    Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home
    PCs plagued by bad capacitors - CNET News

this may be the bad capacitor that dell gx270 usually have problem about. read this for info:
    Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home
    PCs plagued by bad capacitors - CNET News

Bad capacitors

If the caps are bad you can buy them from Computer Capacitors. Check Capacitor Lab - Capacitor Resource and Replacement / Recapping Tips for the instructions.

Cool Dell Otpiplex GX270 - Amber pulsating light

After reading the prior posts, especially the meaning of the various lights, I checked my mobo which has an amber pulsating light. When I swapped power supplies with a 2nd Dell Gx270 the 1st one started and loaded just fine. So thanks about the tip. I suspected it was a power-on button or a connection because sometimes it ran and sometimes it didn't but my hunch was not correct. Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information