+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cannot Save or Save As In Microsoft Word

Post Cannot Save or Save As In Microsoft Word

Help! I have always saved documents that I use on a recurring basis in my Microsoft Word program. Now suddenly I can't save anything. When I finish up the document and do a save as nothing happens. Same with save. So, in total frustration I go to close program. Box comes up, asking if I want to save the changes to my document. Duh? Two choices, Yes or No? Doesn't matter which one I choose, Yes, I go back to save or save as and nothing happens. No, and the program closes with no saved document. What is going on? Why, when I had no trouble previously, do I now have trouble? I have Windows XP system. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
    xxxuuuxxx likes this.

Thank you so much, your advice of Help-Detect and Repair worked for me and it was SO easy. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    Great. We love stories with happy endings
    Hi there... I have exactly the same problem. Did a Repair and did not work. Did a full Uninstall / Install -again- and did not work. The only one that I did not tried yet is deleting/renaming "Normal.dot" and allow the application to re-create it again.

This issue is not only with Word but Excel or PowerPoint as well....

Any Advise?

Thnx in advanced.

Hi. Using Word 2003, tried the 'Detect and Repair' but it didn't work for me. The problem turned out to be that the path and file name exceeded the maximum path length (approx 250 chars). I moved the file to a directory higher up the path and then 'Save As' worked as normal. Good luck.

I see it's been awhile since anyone replied to this thread but I am having the same problem as the original thread. I am running Windows 2000/ Windows XP O.S.. All are running Office 2000. The users that have this same problem are roaming profiles. I tried to detect/repair. nothing happens. Deleted all of the users normal.dat files. nothing happens. I was wondering if roaming profiles are the reason? And this only happens with Word. Excel, powerpoint can save files. TIA.

Same Problem

I see it's been awhile since anyone replied to this thread but I am having the same problem as the original thread. I am running Windows 2000/ Windows XP O.S.. All are running Office 2000. The users that have this same problem are roaming profiles. I tried to detect/repair. nothing happens. Deleted all of the users normal.dat files. nothing happens. I was wondering if roaming profiles are the reason? And this only happens with Word. Excel, powerpoint can save files. TIA.

Help!!

detect and repair worked for me

just want to say massive cheers to the mvp guy who suggested open word, click on help and go to detect and repair and allow the system to restore word to default. I think it will work especially if you first delete all the normal.dot files. Do that by going to "run" and type 'normal.dot' and delete all those files. THen open word and go to detect and repair.
    cheers, Steve R Jones, this problem has been bugging me for 5 hours!

word won't save

I had the same problem, it was a virus. Use "removeit pro" to get rid of it, it is free software just Google it and download hope it helps.

Could be temporary folder/directory setting

I had the same problem with Word 2003 cannot save or save as with new or modified documents. I tried repairing the installation and uninstall and reinstall, to no avail. It turned out that I had changed some of the temporary folder locations earlier when I installed ramdisk, but did not change them back when I uninstalled it. The culprit, for me, was the setting for the Temporary Internet Files in Internet Options. After I set it to a valid folder, everything worked as they should. Hope that helps.

Word 'save' and 'save as' don't work any more

Quote Originally Posted by martal View Post
    Help! I have always saved documents that I use on a recurring basis in my Microsoft Word program. Now suddenly I can't save anything. When I finish up the document and do a save as nothing happens. Same with save. So, in total frustration I go to close program. Box comes up, asking if I want to save the changes to my document. Duh? Two choices, Yes or No? Doesn't matter which one I choose, Yes, I go back to save or save as and nothing happens. No, and the program closes with no saved document. What is going on? Why, when I had no trouble previously, do I now have trouble? I have Windows XP system. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
    I had this problem 8-10 months ago, and our SysAdmin fixed it by uninstalling some software update on a totally different program (I think, Visual Studio). Now the problem has arisen again, and I'm trying to get hold of the SysAdmin (who has moved on) and nail this down. I'll reply if I do.

Thank You MYYEN

I had been going back and forth for weeks trying to figure this out. I rolled back the system using restore, I contacted Microsoft, I uninstalled and reinstalled, and still no fix. For me, it was also affecting Windows Live Email - I couldn't see the email body but could see the header. This went on for a couple of weeks, then yesterday for the first time, I couldn't save in Word. What? I needed to save.

I finally found your post last night and started by deleting my temporary internet files. That fixed it. I am so grateful. Thank you. Seems like something so simple, but I never made the connection . . . and neither did Microsoft!

Thumbs up Canno save or Save As in Microsft Word

You Can download removeit. sure it will help
    Last edited by Mekky; July 16th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Open run box,
    type C:\windows\TEMP,
    empty the folder. Probably it is fiiled.

Exclamation DO NOT DOWNLOAD!! This is Malware.

Quote Originally Posted by slayer3069 View Post
    I had the same problem, it was a virus. Use "removeit pro" to get rid of it, it is free software just Google it and download hope it helps.

Thumbs up Unable to save error in Word 2003

I had the same error ... after quite a few frustrating file openings and closings, I deleted the normal.dot from my computer, got some more horrifying error messages and then on next open, MS word told me that is was having problems with Adobe add-in... disabled it and then MS word could save files ... then, got another error of Remove Hidden Data tool not working ... went to Tools->Templates and add-ins and deleted rhd.dot. Then, added the new rhd.dot from C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Remove Hidden Data Tool directory. Now the MS Word works all fine ... HTH

This is my fix. I Have tried all the options given by the other users. I have also tried editing the registry(DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TOUCHING). I have installed Word 2010 on top of 2007 and have installed Open Office, still neither saved.

Anyway, this is my fix: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Option1:
    1. Uninstall Microsoft Office
    2. Go to start<Program files<Accessories<System Tools<System Restore
    3. Go back to a system restore checkpoint around the time you remember when Microsoft Office saved files,(For me this was 1month back)
    4. Once your system restarts, you should not have windows office installed but should have the icons. Click on the Microsoft Word and a window should pop up saying its fixing/repairing microsoft word.
    5. Once Microsoft Word opens, you should be able to save again.

Option2:
    If you have another computer with the same Office Platform(i,e; Office 2007), copy all its files and REPLACE originals onto the computer that cant save.

I am running Win7,(32bit)

Cannot save file in Microsoft Word 2007 ? try this :)

I see two ways to solve this problem.

First way: Go to..

My Computer ---> Local Disk (C ---> Users ---> OWNER ---> AppData ---> Local ---> Temp

then manually delete this file : jna283070058309006792.dll

Or simply: Download this..

RemoveIT Pro

Where to download it?

Simply type in the Google search engine... "removeit pro" or "removeit pro free download"

Or you can download it here: Download RemoveIT Pro 4 SE 17.10.2011 Free - Locate and remove many new dangerous files - Softpedia

GL! Mabuhay Pilipinas!

Smile Cannot save document in Word 2007

I struggled for days to determine why I could not save in Word - I did several things that others suggested and nothing worked. Finally, today I went to add-ins and disabled the ones that were dated most recent around the time this problem started. IT WORKED!!!! so happy now.........

Same problem as this==>

Quote Originally Posted by martal View Post
    Help! I have always saved documents that I use on a recurring basis in my Microsoft Word program. Now suddenly I can't save anything. When I finish up the document and do a save as nothing happens. Same with save. So, in total frustration I go to close program. Box comes up, asking if I want to save the changes to my document. Duh? Two choices, Yes or No? Doesn't matter which one I choose, Yes, I go back to save or save as and nothing happens. No, and the program closes with no saved document. Can save as PDF .What is going on? Why, when I had no trouble previously, do I now have trouble? I have Windows 7 system. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information