+ Reply to Thread

Bluetooth is missing from device manager

i have a sony vaio VGN-A250 windows xp sp2. my laptop has blue tooth built into it. i just purhcased a Treo700wx and i want to use the blue tooth to synch my info. however my treo doesn't recognize the lap top and vice verse. when i go to my device manger on my laptop i don't see bluetooth listed in there. when i try to connect it says something like bluetooth radio is not enabled. if anyone can help me it would be great !

thanks !

Look for a little button round the edge of the laptop. Sometimes the wifi and bluetooth functions are controlled by on/off buttons.

actually there s a switch for my wireless and the swithc is on and has been on. gettin a little frustrated. when i go to control panel and then go to bluetooth, i check the box that says turn discovery on. well then i click apply and get the following message:

Bluetooth Service Error:
    an error occured while windows was saving your settings. the following settings were not saved.

discoverability settings
    connection settings.

when i go to device manager i don't see anything relating to bluetooth so it seems as if something is missing.

does anyone know how to change a com port ? my treo is giving me port and incoming port as com4, 7, 8, 0 to choose from however in active sync on my pc its only giving me com3

Quote Originally Posted by paul9 View Post
    Look for a little button round the edge of the laptop. Sometimes the wifi and bluetooth functions are controlled by on/off buttons.
    Last edited by djm1k0; October 22nd, 2006 at 04:43 PM.

bump

bump

All the info I see for this laptop makes NO mention of Bluetooth capability.
    Ports and Connectivity

* Modem: 56 Kbps
    * Network Connection: 10-/100-Mbps Ethernet, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (802.11b/g)
    You will need to buy a Bluetooth adapter for it. These usually plug into an USB port.

you know i think you may be onto something. when i bought the computer i was under the impression it had bluetooth. there is an icon for bluetooth devices in the control panel which is what threw me off. i then looked at the specs for the computer today and see the same thing that it doesn't mention bluetooth. so why would there be the bluetooth icons ? so if i were to buy a bluetooth adaptor would i then be able to use it ? would i also be able to use the bluetooth adaptor for my desktop that doesn't have a wireless modem ? now what about setting the treo up through a com port wirelessly ? is that possible.

thank you very much for the info !!

All the info I see for this laptop makes NO mention of Bluetooth capability.

You will need to buy a Bluetooth adapter for it. These usually plug into an USB port.

I have a Bluetooth adapter on my PC, and it does leave icons on the system, even when it is unplugged. I would assume the laptop was second-hand and the previous user has had an adapter plugged in at some point in time.
    I'm not too sure what it is you want to achieve on the desktop PC, but if it is just to synch the Treo as on the laptop, then the adapter is pretty much Plug and Play on any system with an USB port and windows XP.

no the computer was not second hand it was bought brand new and was under the impression was bluetooth enabled. i'm gonna cal sony and see what they have to say. but yes i just want to be able to sync the treo using the bluetooth. hthank you again !!

I have a Bluetooth adapter on my PC, and it does leave icons on the system, even when it is unplugged. I would assume the laptop was second-hand and the previous user has had an adapter plugged in at some point in time.
    I'm not too sure what it is you want to achieve on the desktop PC, but if it is just to synch the Treo as on the laptop, then the adapter is pretty much Plug and Play on any system with an USB port and windows XP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information