+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help Please - can't access youtube.com?

Hello,

I've been having a really strange problem with my computer over the past 2 months or so. During this time, i've been unable to access youtube.com and that's the only site that when I try to access it, nothing happens, the status meter at the bottom of my browser window just freezes.

If I try to play a video which is attached to youtube.com in anyway, same result. I can go to video.google.com and play anything as long as it's not one that's connected to youtube.

This happens in both IE and Firefox. I'm using WinXP SP2.

I'm using Zone Alarm firewall and have tried everything I can think of in terms of setting youtube.com as an exception in both browsers, loosening up my security settings, shutting the firewall down completely, still no luck.

I've run spyware scans in Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D as well as full system Virus scan.

Prior to this problem, I was able to use youtube.com with no problem, but have no idea what could have caused this.

I've run out of ideas and would love to get some expert advice.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

You may want to update both flash and and Java
    Easiest way I've found is a one stop like Filehippo.com
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/

doublepost
    Last edited by JPMiller; September 1st, 2007 at 04:21 AM.

Thanks, but still not working

upgraded jre and flash and it's still not working, any other tricks?

can you ping youtube.com? open command prompt and just type "ping www.youtube.com" and hit Enter
    if you are successful in pinging, it should display the IP. try replacing the IP for the domain name in the URL for a youtube video and see if you can access it this way.

check your HOSTS file... it can contain auto-forwards for specific domains; i don't know why youtube would be in there but it could be. it's a txt file and it's found in (/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/) folder. if there's a reference to youtube.com or www.youtube.com or something just put a semicolon at the beginning of the line and then save the file... afterward try youtube.

disable all non-microsoft services and startup in the System Configuration Utiilty and then restart the computer.. there could be a conflict with something running on your computer, including some "always-on" component of your security software.
    1. choose Start->Run and type in "msconfig" in the dialog and click OK or hit Enter.
    2. go to the Startup tab and record all unselected items ( or all that are selected if it's fewer; if everything's selected just skip this step)
    3. on the Startup tab, click the Disable All button
    4. on the Services tab, select the "Hide all microsoft services" check box
    5. click disable all
    6. Click OK and then restart now.
    7. when you get booted back up, you will then be able to determine if a conflict exists between one of those startups/services for some reason

also, try creating a new admin user account in windows and try it there with both browsers... there could be some weird or damaged setting you have which is preventing you access.

Thumbs up

The trick with the services worked! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this. It's been a real headache until now. Have an awesome day!

Robert

glad to hear that disabling startup items and services allowed it to work.

did you determine which exact item caused the problem? if not, it is simply a process of eliminiation to determine which item or items are causing the problem. my recommendation is to start by re-enabling all the services in msconfig and then restarting.. if you can still view the youtube videos, then the problem is with one or more of the startup items. whether it is a service or a startup item, you can re-enable one or more at time and restart the computer to continue narrowing in on the exact source of the conflict.

once you have determined the exact conflict, you may consider contacting the developer of the software for some kind of update, if available.

hope this helped

Still Unable to open Youtube

I tried the solution you've provided. But still i am unable to open Youtube. Please help.

Exclamation Youtube can't be accesed

i have the same problem but in my case i can acces youtube videos from video.google.com.

Problem auto-resloved.There are two things i maked but i'm not sure what is the problem resolver:
    1)I have deleted from my PC temp files,history and cookies(from Control Panel/I.Options).
    2)I have deleted a suspect user account(i don't EVER created it,and could not be accesed by LOG ON).
    3)I have uninstalled Mozilla Firefox(then you could reinstall it).
    4)I have accesed Youtube.com from a video from video.google.com(or google.video.com).

Sorry from my bad english,i'm from Romania.
    Last edited by lupul10; February 10th, 2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Durrind 5 mins from i maked original post :heh:,Youtube starts to run.Why?Read down there.

cannot access you tube

This is the message I get:

"welcome to youtube.
    Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I run Windows XP
    I use the latest version of FireFox
    Javascript is allowed
    I have the latest version of Adobe Flasplayer installed

What else can I do?

cannot access you tube

This is the message I get:

"welcome to youtube.
    Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I run Windows XP
    I use the latest version of FireFox
    Javascript is allowed
    I have the latest version of Adobe Flasplayer installed

What else can I do?

Can't access youtube

I do the ping and i used the ip to enter. I worked ok. But please tell me whats the problem and how can i solve it so i can enter the normal way ...

Solution for 'Cannot access youtube ( firefox/windows vista )

Solution: ( Cannot access youtube form firefox /Windows Vista )

1. go to Windows/system32/drivers/etc
    2. copy "HOSTS" file to Mydocument ( Or your temporary folder )
    3. Open and Edit

From 61.157.217.210 YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

tobe ; 61.157.217.210 YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    ( Just put only 1 semicolon in the begining of the line )

4. Save
    5. copy back to Windows/system32/drivers/etc
    ( I have to do this way because it will not allow you
    to change anything direct immediately in
    Windows/system32/drivers/etc . So you have
    to move 'Hosts' to somewhere else then change it
    then save then copy back )
    6. Windows Vista will ask you for 'Permit'
    and will ask you to make sure for 'continue'
    7. Done 50% aleready
    8. Go back to your browser and try youtube.

Help Please - can't access youtube.com?

For diagnostic purposes, try this, Get a free AOL account, Attempt to access YouTube through the AOL browser. I am saying download and install the AOL software,if you have an existing Internet connection it is free to sign up and use. see what happens and report back...

can't find "run" to type on msnconfig in dialogue box

I have the same problem but I do not get a "run" option to type in "msnconfig" once I hit start. I also was able to open you tube once when I sent a link to my email from another computer and opened it from mine..but only once...after that, I get the same "action cancelled" page.

Quote Originally Posted by CujoRbd View Post
    can you ping youtube.com? open command prompt and just type "ping www.youtube.com" and hit Enter
    if you are successful in pinging, it should display the IP. try replacing the IP for the domain name in the URL for a youtube video and see if you can access it this way.

check your HOSTS file... it can contain auto-forwards for specific domains; i don't know why youtube would be in there but it could be. it's a txt file and it's found in (/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/) folder. if there's a reference to youtube.com or YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. or something just put a semicolon at the beginning of the line and then save the file... afterward try youtube.

disable all non-microsoft services and startup in the System Configuration Utiilty and then restart the computer.. there could be a conflict with something running on your computer, including some "always-on" component of your security software.
    1. choose Start->Run and type in "msconfig" in the dialog and click OK or hit Enter.
    2. go to the Startup tab and record all unselected items ( or all that are selected if it's fewer; if everything's selected just skip this step)
    5. click disable all
    7. when you get booted back up, you will then be able to determine if a conflict exists between one of those startups/services for some reason

also, try creating a new admin user account in windows and try it there with both browsers... there could be some weird or damaged setting you have which is preventing you access.

I get "action cancelled" I emailed myself a youtube link from another computer and was able to open it at home...once. I made a shortcut from the link once I opened it from my email. When I tried to open it from that shortcut, I got the "action cancelled" again. I went to my email and tried to open it there again and cannot. I get action cancelled.

I wanted to try the disabling of non-microsoft services but I do not get a "run" option to type in "msconfig"

Can't open Youtube

I have tried the msconfig disabling, and downloading latest java...still get a page displaying "action cancelled" and this display in my address bar "res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm"
    I went to another computer, emailed a youtube link to myself, came home and was able to get to youtube that way...once. I copied that link to a shortcut. When I tried to open it from shortcut, I got the same "action cancelled"
    When I went to my email again to click on the link, I then got "action cancelled" What the heck??

I can't access youtube

Hey,

I can't access youtube.com, so came across this thread. I tried pinging youtube.com, it didn't work. Now, I'd have thought the site is down but it's not. Another computer in the same house with the same internet connection CAN access youtube. It's just my computer that can't!

In addition, I can access all other sites. Just not youtube.com...

I checked the HOSTS files, it's not any of that. Tried the system config utility thing, no use... any other ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by CujoRbd View Post

check your HOSTS file... it can contain auto-forwards for specific domains; i don't know why youtube would be in there but it could be. it's a txt file and it's found in (/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/) folder. if there's a reference to youtube.com or YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. or something just put a semicolon at the beginning of the line and then save the file... afterward try youtube.

5. click disable all

Smile Try This!!

Try This!! For me it works!!
    On your browser

Select Tools
    >> Internet Options
    >> Advanced
    >> Reset...
    >> Check the box 'Delete personal settings'
    >> Click Reset
    >> Restart your browser

"Done!!"

Hi,
    If i had to guess, would think that it's so trendy and so many people are on it, it gets time outs every once in a while.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information