+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy USB not Recognizing !!!!!!!??!!

k my computer wont recognize any USB devices. it would work fine up until 2 weeks ago when it stopped recognizing all devices. ive tried multiple USB wires, devices, every usb hub on my computer. i dont get any error message or anything just my computer acts as if the device is not there. any1 have any suggestions?!?!?!?

You could try this:

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager. Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click the + sign. Right the USB Host Controller and select uninstall. When asked to restart, click No, and then remove any other other Host Controllers if listed. When they have all been removed restart your computer. When the computer restarts, it will detect the USB controller and connected devices, and reinstall the drivers. You will probably be asked to restart the machine again, choose to restart, and you should be good to go.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

welcome to TechIMO, rocklee...

which operating system? windows XP or what?

try going to Start->Run, typing "services.msc" and then click OK. in the services windows, make sure that the "Plug and Play" service has a startup type of Automatic and that it's started. also check to see that the "Remote Procedure Call" (or "RPC") service is the same. make sure to restart the machine after making changes just to make sure.

if those are both on automatic and started, then open the Device Manager. you can do this by going to Start->Run, typing "devmgmt.msc", and then click OK. once in here, make sure that you have a section called "Universal Serial Bus controllers" or else it won't work. other than that, reply back with anything that has a yellow exclamation point next to it. you can double-click on it and let us know what it says in the Device Status section.

have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
    have you been customizing your startup programs/services using anything, like maybe MSCONFIG or STARTUP_CPL?

HTH

rooster, you are too fast.

Unhappy

k im running windows xp. both Plug and Play and RPC are Automatic and started. i uninstalled all my USB drivers and restarted comp to reinstall them. i did a ful system virus scan and a spyware scan. i havent been customizing startup programs/services and i did install some software but no hardware. still same problem

Blog Entries
    I just gave this link in another thread.

This may help. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Unplug all devices. Use the utility to uninstall all entries.

You can highlight all entries, right click and choose uninstall. Just make sure no USB device is plugged in.
    Last edited by Keymaker; January 2nd, 2008 at 08:28 AM.

k uninstalled all entries and restarted my comp. still same problem. also when looking in the entires in the USB Deview, it showed that no devices were connected when i had my psp plugged in.

Does any USB device work? Like a flash drive, or perhaps a USB mouse you have laying around?
    You could try and download a Live CD version of Linux to see if it's Windows or not.
    Ubuntu is a good version.
    Here's a link.

no usb devices work
    im starting to think its a hardware problem and not a driver problem or something software related. i might install windows vista soon so hopefully that'll fix the problem with a fresh start

sorry to hear it's still not working. definitely could be a dead bus... if the computer is a recent purchase or else under some kind of warranty, you may consider exchanging it.

what software did you recently install? some types of software, especially those that allow you to mount virtual drives (like alcohol, daemon tools, etc) can cause weird device conflicts like this.

make sure you do a complete format of the drive before installing Vista, or else you will likely encounter more problems. and make sure that all your hardware has drivers for vista before you do, or else you will have yet more problems. if it's all pretty recent stuff, then you shouldn't have an issue really. just check on the website of the manufacturer of each piece of hardware to ensure the latest drivers were released in '07 or else state that they are vista compatible.

HTH

Blog Entries
    You did try the following?

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
    You could try this:

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager. Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click the + sign. Right the USB Host Controller and select uninstall. When asked to restart, click No, and then remove any other other Host Controllers if listed. When they have all been removed restart your computer. When the computer restarts, it will detect the USB controller and connected devices, and reinstall the drivers. You will probably be asked to restart the machine again, choose to restart, and you should be good to go.

It may be a mis-wired bus or it died. When building a computer, sometime one might forget that the wiring is opposite and soon as you plug in a USB device, *Zapoooo!*. Be lucky if the motherboard doesn't fail either.

Quote Originally Posted by rocklee1211 View Post
    k my computer wont recognize any USB devices. it would work fine up until 2 weeks ago when it stopped recognizing all devices. ive tried multiple USB wires, devices, every usb hub on my computer. i dont get any error message or anything just my computer acts as if the device is not there. any1 have any suggestions?!?!?!?
    I had the same problem a couple years ago, ended up being my mobo.
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+/ Antec Basiq 500w psu
    MSI NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB DDR3
    4gig Corsair DDR2 RAM/ASUS mobo of some sort...lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information