+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Monitor Will Not Turn On At All

Yesterday I was on my computer doing daily routine things, like checking my e-mail, nothing to extravagant. And all of a sudden the display on my monitor rapidly shrunk to nothing and then my monitor turned off completely. I tried turning it on & off multiple times, and I let it sit overnight. Nothing seems to be working. It's a fairly old monitor, I'd say five to seven years old. If you guys know of anything that I could do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Are you able to try a different monitor to rule out a possible graphics failure?
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Are there any lights/LEDs showing on the monitor (for example, mine is showing green now as it is on)...?

If there is no light at all, it points to a monitor/power issue. If the light is orange, it points towards a PC-side problem - for example a GPU (graphics card) that has failed....

If there is no light, try to test the power cable on another (known good) device that uses the same "kettle" connection, also try to test the socket where it is plugged in to rule that out. You could/should also test the monitor on another computer if possible as this would demonstrate whether it is the faulty bit of equipment....
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Oh, and by the way...

WELCOME TO TECHIMO...!
    Let us know how it goes for you...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post
    Are there any lights/LEDs showing on the monitor (for example, mine is showing green now as it is on)...?

If there is no light at all, it points to a monitor/power issue. If the light is orange, it points towards a PC-side problem - for example a GPU (graphics card) that has failed....

If there is no light, try to test the power cable on another (known good) device that uses the same "kettle" connection, also try to test the socket where it is plugged in to rule that out. You could/should also test the monitor on another computer if possible as this would demonstrate whether it is the faulty bit of equipment....
    there is an led light, but it won't light up. ususally it is green when it is turned on. and when i try to turn it on, i hear a very faint, consistent, clicking noise coming from inside the monitor's case.

That sounds terminal, I suggest swapping that monitor with one from another computer that is known to work. Test them on both computers, if the other monitor works on the computer mentioned above then that computer doesn't have a problem. If the other monitor still doesn't work, then it needs replacing.......

To be honest, given that it is "5 to 7" years old, it is fairly likely to be the monitor, which is what I thought before - although it is always best to double-check...!

I don't know where you are, but monitors aren't really that expensive, and you can prolly get a fairly good one for less than 100-150, depending on the size/spec you're after....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information