+ Reply to Thread

PC slows down after few minutes

Hi all. This is my first post here, so pardon me if it's wrong section.

I have a problem with my PC. If I run any game, the PC starts to lag after like 5 mins. I mean, it does not lag in windows, but framerate in games drops drastically to the point where they are unplayable. Videos in HD lag too, transfering files ( like from my harddrive to Ipod for example, or to a PSP) takes 2-3 times longer... Well, EVERYTHING is like 3 times slower. The only way to bring back the previous performance is to turn off my pc for a few mins, but when I turn it back on, and run any game, the slow down starts again. Things I've tried so far:
    -New psu, didn't help.
    -I thought it may be CPU overheating, so I bought new heatsink, but that didn't help either.
    - I thought it may be the graphics card overheating, so I increased the fan speed to 100%. The temps were lower, but that didn't solve my problem.
    - Formatted system drive, didn't help.
    - Tried disconnecting the internet cable, didn't help.
    My spec's:
    Pentium 4 (prescott) 3.2ghz (socket 478)
    1024 mb ram (1 stick)
    Sapphire radeon x1650 pro (agp x8) 512mb
    320gb Seagate barracuda SATA drive
    Modecom Feel 400W ( I tried it on 550W chieftec but that did not solve my problem either)
    Motherboard MSI RS350M-ILSR (MS-7031)
    DVD rom
    Windows XP Proffesional 32bit

Also, those problems started when I replaced my old motherboard, since it died. I doubt it's the motherboard though if the problem starts after a few minutes? OH, and if I won't run any game the problem starts aswell, just it takes more than 5 mins ( like if I'm just surfing the internet or so).
    I would really appreciate help. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fux0r; September 27th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.

I see no one has replied. I honestly can't help you, I'm no genius like the other fellas here, but I hope you get it fixed bro

I feel your pain, computers are HORRIBLE...
    ... sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootstonian View Post
    If your mobo takes DDR2 memory, take your 1 gig up to 2 or 3 gigs; it's really cheap right now and I know it's not your slowdown problem, but it will help your system overall.
    That is the TRUTH! I upgraded mine from 1 to 2 and it made an INCREDIBLE difference. I recommend it. I got a gig for just $27 in total (that means shipping and everything). GL m8!

Quote Originally Posted by Rootstonian View Post
    Do you have the CPU temps when running a game (maybe HSF not seated properly).

If your mobo takes DDR2 memory, take your 1 gig up to 2 or 3 gigs; it's really cheap right now and I know it's not your slowdown problem, but it will help your system overall.

I would try and reseat your CPU heat sink/fan; make sure it's right!
    Unfortunately, my mobo doesn't support DDR2 memory since it's pretty old mobo. I don't need a new pc right now since I only play rather older games, and surf the web mostly. But even the older games lag horribly now, that is if they are playable at all. I could get an additional 1 gig, but it would be DDR and the stick I have now is PC3200 (200 MHz) so I don't know if it'd be worth it? Thanks for response though guys. I will try to reseat heatsink, although it seems sitted properly, but it never gets hot, only A LITTLE warm...

EDIT: Mobo supports dual channel.
    Last edited by fux0r; September 28th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Ok well, just to be sure have you done a virus scan, Spyware, adware? Next download the software Speedfan or PCwizard2008, either one should tell you the CPU speed, and the Temp. Reply what those temps are.(I know you said you didn't think its overheating, but its always good to double check and eliminate possiblities). Reason is because I had my Laptop which its fan wasn't working properly, causing Movies, games, and even Music would run so slow. When I checked Speedfan it said something like temp1, 57c, Core1, 65c, ad Core2 67c, but when I removed and cleaned the fan it ran only to about 50c at max. Hope I was some help.
    Acer 7720zMicrosoft Windows XP(SP3)2GB RAM1.44Ghz Intel Dual Core Processor DvdR Drive 160gb HDD 500gb Seagate HDD(External)
    Intel GMA 955 Integrated Sound

Quote Originally Posted by videoman1994 View Post
    Ok well, just to be sure have you done a virus scan, Spyware, adware? Next download the software Speedfan or PCwizard2008, either one should tell you the CPU speed, and the Temp. Reply what those temps are.(I know you said you didn't think its overheating, but its always good to double check and eliminate possiblities). Reason is because I had my Laptop which its fan wasn't working properly, causing Movies, games, and even Music would run so slow. When I checked Speedfan it said something like temp1, 57c, Core1, 65c, ad Core2 67c, but when I removed and cleaned the fan it ran only to about 50c at max. Hope I was some help.
    I've done a virus, spyware and adware scan, and also formatted system drive. I have also downloaded Speedfan and PCwizard2008 but both show ONLY HDD temperature, which is 40C while I'm writing this.

When you replaced the motherboard, did you reinstall Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Daddy View Post
    When you replaced the motherboard, did you reinstall Windows?
    Yes, at first I thought it was the drivers problem so I reintalled windows and formatted the drive it was installed on, but that didn't help. The installation itself took way longer than before, especially formatting the drive.

I wonder if CPU throttling in BIOS is active, have you checked this option?

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Confusion View Post
    I wonder if CPU throttling in BIOS is active, have you checked this option?
    I don't know if it is since I couldn't find the option to turn it on/off in bios. Here's a link to manual download, maybe someone could check and see if it's there or not since I could miss it:
    Man_MS-7031_uk.pdf

Possibly under PC Health in the BIOS

Maybe the warning temps/fan settings are to "low" IDK what the max temp for the CPU is.

Possibly under PC Health in the BIOS

Maybe the warning temps/fan settings are to "low" IDK what the max temp for the CPU is.
    Everything is set to disabled there. Tried with diff. values but that didn't help.

I beleive max temp for most processors is about 70c anything more and theres definently something wrong, but since its at 40c then we know that were in a partial safe zone for the processor and heatsink.

EDIT: I am also starting to think it might be something in the BIOS.
    Last edited by videoman1994; September 28th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    Acer 7720zMicrosoft Windows XP(SP3)2GB RAM1.44Ghz Intel Dual Core Processor DvdR Drive 160gb HDD 500gb Seagate HDD(External)
    Intel GMA 955 Integrated Sound

Go into BIOS and try the Optimal Settings

Quote Originally Posted by videoman1994 View Post
    I beleive max temp for most processors is about 70c anything more and theres definently something wrong, but since its at 40c then we know that were in a partial safe zone for the processor and heatsink.

EDIT: I am also starting to think it might be something in the BIOS.
    No, no, I said that the HDD temperature was at 40C. All the programs I've tried had shown ONLY the HDD temperature. I did check CPU temperature in bios though, and it was around 60C. It was around the same on the old motherboard though.

Go into BIOS and try the Optimal Settings
    I just tried both that and fail safe settings and neither helped. =/

Quote Originally Posted by fux0r View Post
    No, no, I said that the HDD temperature was at 40C. All the programs I've tried had shown ONLY the HDD temperature. I did check CPU temperature in bios though, and it was around 60C. It was around the same on the old motherboard though.

I just tried both that and fail safe settings and neither helped. =/
    Pc wizard DOES show your CPU temp,one way is to minimize it and it comes up in the top right hand corner.
    Also 60 degrees at startup probably isnt good,that means by the time you get to playing a game it increases and thats what would cause a problem.As others said,your fan probably isnt throttling right...

It doesn't show CPU temperature. It shows CPU clock and load, but not the temp.

Another question

Did you use thermal paste when installing the heatsink/fan?

Another question

Did you use thermal paste when installing the heatsink/fan?
    Yes, I used Arctic Silver 5.

Also I just noticed that the CPU usage jumps between 1% and 2% when idle, it's never 0.
    And just moving the mouse cursor gets the cpu usage up to 19% (it drops to 15% in a sec though).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information