+ Reply to Thread
    s1m

Problem With IDE Hard Drive

My First Computer was dropped on it's head. Decided not to work anymore.

So I took everything out cd rom drives Mobo and including Hard Drive.

I bought a new computer and now i want to make the IDE hard drive a slave for my new comp.

My new comp has a SATA drive as a master when I plug in my 160gb IDE Hard Drive as a slave and turn my computer on the 160GB IDE HardDrive Screams and Whines... like a weak reving engine. VROOOOM VROOOOOOOOOOM VROOOOOOOOM VROOOOOOOM VROOOOOOOM when I get to my login screen the VROOOM completely stops and there is no vibration what so ever from the Hard Drive.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have extremely important files on this Hard Drive and I have no clue what to do at this point.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    for SATA drives there is no master/slave configuration, its one device per cable, not like IDE that can have 2 per channel.

well for starters you bought a new computer, & the "master" drive is the SATA drive, THAT is the drive that the system loads up off of, as to the your old drive making the sounds & then stopping, the system is probably running it with the Power On Self Tests, then since it doesn't need to load windows or whatever OS your running off of it & just off the newer drive, there's no reason for the drive to be running, so it stops.

its also possible the drive is FUBAR... you said your old computer was dropped on its head, if you mean literally, then its possible the hard drives heads are out of whack & make it damn near impossible for you to get any data off the drive, unless you know how to fix the things your self, or can send it in to a data recovery service to get the data, which is DAMNED expensive to do.

Do you also hear a loud clicking sound when the old drive is being accessed? if so, start praying...

s1m
    Thanks for the fast reply....

no clicking just screaming and whining, i was playing around with it some more, I set it as a master and waited for the pc to load it. My bios detected it but only like 8000mb. Something is wrong.. atm i'm trying to find bootable software that can get as much data off my drive as possible.

Cool

some dll files may be missing its your os problem and clear prefetch folder in system32 which makes login late

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    WTF are you even talking about?

If the new drive is SATA and the old is IDE, why would the old drive be set up as a slave? Isn't the old drive on the IDE channel alone? If so shouldn't it be set up in master mode? Anyway, it does sound like the drive is fubar, you might find a diagnostic program to make sure. Does the drive and MB support SMART, if so what does it say?
    Last edited by Cajunheat; October 11th, 2008 at 09:03 AM.

If you can, try getting your hands on the ultimate HD checking program called SpinRite. It will give you a definitive answer on the condition of the IDE drive, any HD for that matter. If the drive never made the noises before the accident I'd be a little worried. Good luck. Keep us updated on how things go.
    If you can't say something nice... SAY IT REALLY LOUD!!

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karthiktech View Post
    some dll files may be missing its your os problem and clear prefetch folder in system32 which makes login late
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    WTF are you even talking about?
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Quote Originally Posted by s1m View Post
    My bios detected it but only like 8000mb.
    When you go into the OS, what does it display in there - both in terms of size and also data on the drive..................?

If you can see data then copy as much as possible elsewhere, otherwise you will need to go back to your backups.....

EDIT: I'm presuming that it is backed up, especially if it is important data....
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post
    When you go into the OS, what does it display in there - both in terms of size and also data on the drive..................?

If you can see data then copy as much as possible elsewhere, otherwise you will need to go back to your backups.....

EDIT: I'm presuming that it is backed up, especially if it is important data....
    Wow, I edited but it didn't show up...

Or have I been drinking too mch again./?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information