+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Scanning problem

I had an old UMAX 600S SCSI scanner that I'd been using for years, but when I tried to hook it up to my newish machine (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard; Athlon 64X2 5000+ , black edition; 2 GB Corsair DDR2 800; 320 GB Western Digital SATA HDD; Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU) it wouldn't work. No big surprise; it's a known issue that WinXP didn't support that scanner, and UMAX no longer does either. But when I tried to use a third-party driver I had a serious crash.

That problem's been solved (see the end of the linked thread) but I have a new one: The all-in-one HP Officejet 6310 I bought to replace the scanner won't work with the applications I've tried (so far, Corel PhotoPaint 11 and ScanSoft OmniPro 16).

It's not the scanner; it works fine on my other, older machine (an Athlon 1500), and it checks out if I test it via the network connection (it's hooked up to my home network via its buiilt-in ethernet port).

If I try to scan a document from either OmniPage or PhotoPaint, the HP Scanner splash screen comes up, and the application freezes; I have to kill it with Task Manager. And I get an error message that says there's another scanning program running simultaneously, or words to that effect.

I suspect that there are remnants of the third-party driver that are causing the problem. How do I clear this up?
    If I went back in time I wouldn't kill Hitler, I would save Rosa Luxembourg.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a solution, but there is a work-around: use the HP scan software. It will allow you to save the files as bmp, jpeg, etc. Once saved, then you can import them into whatever program you would like. Yes, it's an extra step, but it should work.

Blog Entries
    Another workaround is to do the importing on my backup machine, where the problem doesn't exist. And, of course, I can reformat my hard drive, reinstall WinXP and all my programs, and start again.

But I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps there's a process I can stop?

Blog Entries
    Using the HP software didn't work, and neither did scanning directly from the all-in-one rather than the computer.

Solution: A clean uninstall of the software, followed by reinstallation, was all it took. Obvious but annoying.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information