+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ultimate Member
    All is not lost the computer doesn't seem to broken. Make the cd/dvd drive the 1st boot device and follow my previous suggestions. Sleep tight! Nighty Night!

I set my cd rom drive to first boot and the cd didnt work so I tried Norton system works and it scanned the boot record and found no viruses,what now?

Ultimate Member
    Then the Avira boot cd is a coaster. It works just fine on MANY systems and your son may have burned a bad copy is all. Norton does a more than ample job of scanning for viruses. It's malware detection I am unsure as I quit using Norton around the mainstream distribution of the nastiest of malware as it was lacking in detection and removal then. Avira yields no other significant results when compared and researched against other scanners however the rule of thumb is to always attempt several leading utilities such as Spybot and Malwarebytes along with a major AV manufacturers suite.

What we know:

You have bios function

Computer will boot from CD so the motherboard is functional

What we need to know:

Is the Windows Installation corrupted?

Is the hard drive bad?

Is the memory bad?

Course of action:

Make another bootable CD: http://http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and use the hard drive diagnostic utility for the hard drive installed in your computer. You can see the details of the hard drive once again in your bios or by opening your computer case. If you do not want all of the features the Ultimate Boot CD offers feel free to go to the manufacturers site and download just the file.

If the hard drive fails in short you are going to need an operating system. XP, Vista or wait for Windows 7 in the fall. Otherwise you can try a distro of linux that should suit your needs in the meantime.

If the drive passes you are going to need to borrow someone elses XP disc that is the same OS for which you are attempting to repair, ie XP Home or Pro before you can run the recovery/repair console. With that said is is undoubtedly unfortunate that someone included an illegitimate copy of XP with your system as the computer is probably not properly patched an dupdated for security purposes.

Run memtest and rule the memory out.

Incidentally when was the last time you ran Windows updates?
    Last edited by DoubleK; June 15th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

If I were working with that computer I would locate the proper xp disc and run it.......if it recognizes the hard drive I would run the repair wizard......or go on into the install console and run repair from there.

To me this all sounds like a huge waste of time.

Get the proper xp disc......and let us know when you have it....that is my advice.
    No man is an island

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
    If the hard drive fails in short you are going to need an operating system.
    My apologies! I meant to say a new hard drive!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
    If the drive passes you are going to need to borrow someone elses XP disc that is the same OS for which you are attempting to repair, ie XP Home or Pro before you can run the recovery/repair console. With that said is is undoubtedly unfortunate that someone included an illegitimate copy of XP with your system as the computer is probably not properly patched and updated for security purposes.

Run memtest and rule the memory out.

Incidentally when was the last time you ran Windows updates?
    Your suggestion has been covered ruleofnike69 and other scenarios are not a waste of time. I was simply offering options as he will have to decide to spend considerable time and money fixing a used computer and would be best served ruling out possibilities that can bite him in the ass later.

We do not know his system specs and he may very well end up in the position where he could have purchased another used computer with considerably newer hardware and with a functioning legitimate operating system easier than fixing his current computer that needs around a $100.00 operating system, time to install and do the upgrades not to mention if there are any problems with the hard drive or ram.

Does he have the technical experience to change out these parts or would he take it to a shop? At that point a used computer becomes much cheaper and more viable doesn't it? Why not rule out other components of a used computer so he can choose the path that is right for him?

I agree. I'm sure that you...doublek can help him work through all that stuff. I was not suggesting that he buy xp.......but rather locate a disk.
    neighbors......friends......family......someone will have a disk.
    xp can fix itself in many cases....but when the OS shadows or the boot sector becomes corrupted........you must have that disk.
    To me time is money.......a borrowed disk.....will save valuable time.

for that matter he could download a bootleg xp OS and fix a licenced validated copy of xp.
    Last edited by ruleofnike69; June 16th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    No man is an island

Ultimate Member
    Suggestion of downloading a bootleg copy of XP to fix a "legitimate" XP install was kind of out of the question as the computer should have a Windows coa sticker on it and most forums tos not to mention downloading an operating system that way would personally scare the beejesus out of me from a security standpoint.

I strongly feel that XP, Vista and Windows 7 are great operating systems and warrant being purchased otherwise the op could feel free to use linux as I hinted at. I would start with knoppix and see if it suits your needs. He could be up and running, checking email and performing basic computing functions in under an hour and could have his own personal computer on a thumb drive oblivious of virus, spyware, corrupted Windows Install or general privacy concerns when using his or any other computer.

I absolutely agree with you ruleofnike69. His Windows install is hosed and he needs a disc to fix it. Then he needs a good disc imaging suite such as Acronis True Image or Ghost so he does not have these issues again as long as he is running the same general hardware.

Your right about that double k........I was realy just arguing the point......I was not really suggesting he download a bootleg.
    This guy is looking for someone to pull a genie out the hat........ain't gonna happen in my opinion. As I said.........he needs an xp disc........borrowed........or bought......it will take him a lot further than searching for a needle in a haystack......lol
    No man is an island

Im a girl lol I think I will try to get an XP disc,I really thank all of you for your help,I will let u know if it works.

when you get that disk mam.....get back with us......we will be happy to walk you through the steps.

Good luck !
    No man is an island

Unhappy

I finally got an xp disc but it couldnt fix my copy of xp,so I instaled xp from the disc now it says I need to enter a product key,NOW WHAT WILL I DO!!!

Ultimate Member
    Now you need to enter a legitimate product key. If you borrowed the disc you do not have a key as previously you stated that there was no coa sticker on your computer and whomever you borrowed the disc from would not want their XP to become yours.

In short you now need to purchase a license key:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Microsoft,Operating Systems,windows xp

I bought a windows xp home and now I have no sound,the drivers are installed,what do I do now?

Ultimate Member
    Are you sure that you are using the correct drivers?

Did you determine your sound hardware correctly?

http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe

Give that a whirl and post your motherboard, soundcard and/or onboard audio specifications.

Are you positive that your speakers are hooked up and turned on? You might want to also check sound and audio devices in the XP control panel to ensure the driver didn't mute "Windows" once installed. I have seen many conflicts with audio devices and Windows.

hope this is the info you

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States) Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    900 megahertz AMD Athlon
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Not hyper-threaded Board: SiS-741
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/31/2004
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    75.46 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG CD-RW CED-8083B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA8E3428912, rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy 352 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 128 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 256 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 75.46 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details)

It would help to know the motherboard manufacturer. With that you can go to their website and download the proper sound drivers.

Or just simply keep acting dumb and maybe someone will come up with a solution that will probably cost you more money.........like driver magic......which will find all your drivers for you but will cost you about forty bucks.

Otherwise find the MOBO manufacturer and the model number and then download the proper drivers from their website.

Good luck
    No man is an island

Drivers

How do you know the proper drivers are not already installed?

Ultimate Member
    I need you to specifically post what is listed under your main circuit board

It is unlikely you missed the important part but please re check for a name under board:

If there is nothing there this is going to become much more difficult as I recall this computer not being the oem (HP, Dell, Compaq, Sony ect.) variety? If it is an OEM computer we may have better luck with searching for its specific drivers by you posting its model #.

I advise against using any (paid or not) auto driver updating tool as I have hosed several XP installs experimenting with Uniblues Tool and Driver Detective. Uniblue installed the incorrect chipset driver and DD hosed everything up on two separate computers.

I am certain there is a tool out there that does this competently. I have little use so therefore have not discovered one. I would pull the case open and id parts before I resorted to that desperate and dangerous measure.

xp service pack 3 does have most of the drivers on it. But this is an old motherboard by description. It's probably an off brand and it will have some off the wall sound card on board.......lol. Sound drivers are typically supported by the motherboard manufacturer and the sound card company. The easiest way to get the right one is to know the motherboard and its model number. The board manufacturer will have the driver posted if they are still in business.

With respect to knowing if the driver isn't already in place. Xp should have loaded it when it set up.
    But you might try updating Xp and selecting custom instead of express and see if it comes up under optional. If microsoft recognized the sound chip it may post the proper driver for you. This happens about one in a hundred times by the way........lol
    No man is an island

Board: SiS-741
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/31/200

This is all that is there,I have the case open so where would I find the make and model number of the motherboard.
    Last edited by Purity10000; September 16th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information