+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This Windows Media Player Network sharing service is always using like 20 percent of my CPU load. I was wondering how to permanently shut this off as it starts up with the computer, when i go to end the task sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesnt....

Even if i go to uninstall Windows Media Player it is not showing up anywhere
    Last edited by RicheemxX; June 14th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Guessing that you're using Vista...You should be able to reverse the steps here:

How do I turn on media sharing?
    1. Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.

2. In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media to check box.

3. In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select a device.

4. Do one of the following:

If you want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Allow.

If you don't want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Deny.
    "If you can keep your head and remain calm when all those about you are panicking...perhaps you don't fully understand the situation!"

Ya sorry i should have posted my OS i am running Windows 7

There seems not to be a media sharing option under library, even if i go into the advanced features tab there is no option to do media sharing.
    Last edited by Wolfegang16; June 15th, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
    PhenomIIX4 940@3.7GHz -- GTX260@735/1625/1275 -- 4Gig Gskill@5-5-5-15/1066
    My PC

Look in the Windows Help file-> Media Sharing
    "If you can keep your head and remain calm when all those about you are panicking...perhaps you don't fully understand the situation!"

This may sound really odd and i may be doing something wrong but even if i go into the help file and type in media sharing nothing will come up on the topic. Could it be windows media center doing this and not windows media player ?
    My PC

I cant even seem to find a windows media player or media center file to uninstall it, even if i go to add/remove programs it doesnt come up on the list. The program is def installed on the computer but for some reason it seems like its hiding lol.
    My PC

Is there any other way to uninstall a program ??
    My PC

remove from startup

stop it from starting by typing "msconfig" into the run box, then clicking on the services tab and unchecking the checkbox...then restart your computer

Blog Entries
    Perhaps this works:
    • disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service using services.msc
    • Set the Registry value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\P references\HME
      • DWORD DisableBrowse & DisableDiscovery = 1 and 2 respectively

Disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing and Configuration application (wmpnscfg.exe)

I'm having the same issue on a brand new install of Windows 7 (64-bit) on a Lenovo T61p notebook. This "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" is running around 45 to 50% on my computer.

Under - Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings > Home or Work - I have Media Streaming = OFF (It was ON) But this did not fix it. Its something else.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz with 4GB of memory.
    Last edited by gwguruman; December 30th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

I had the exact same problem with windows 7 32 bit this service was eating 30% of my cpu on a pentium IV. It only started happening when I started using Foobar2000 and grew my music collection from 8gigs to 40 gigs. I am sharing my music on a network though.

What I did was I opened msconfig and under services I disabled windows media player network sharing service by unchecking the box beside it. I didn't even have to restart it stopped it right away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconJon View Post
    Perhaps this works:
    • Set the Registry value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\P references\HME

Disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing and Configuration application (wmpnscfg.exe)

The link was very helpful. Thanks, my problems have been fixed. There was also an Office network service that required stopping in the same way.

Uninstalling (or disabling) Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player is not listed as a program because it is considered a base "media" service to the Windows operating system. Other applications co depend on Windows Media Player in order to function properly.

To disable it in Win7, go to the program and features panel in control panel, then click "Turn Windows features on or off". In the window that pops up, uncheck "Media Features", hit okay, and reboot.

If you are disabling Windows Media Player I would suggest disabling all three items under under the Media Features list, and not just disabling Windows Media Player by itself.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by gwguruman View Post
    I'm having the same issue on a brand new install of Windows 7 (64-bit) on a Lenovo T61p notebook. This "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" is running around 45 to 50% on my computer.

Under - Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings > Home or Work - I have Media Streaming = OFF (It was ON) But this did not fix it. Its something else.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz with 4GB of memory.
    Hi

you need to get to administrative tools in the control panel and then services , know if you browse you will find windows media player network sharing services. now simply right click on it and select properties and then select from dropdown tab (disable)

i don't know the consequences but this is the way i do.

Regards,

Amir

help

Wmpns

For win 7 just
    -right click on "my Computer"
    -click "manage" from the dropdown menu
    -a warning will appear just click "yes"
    -a window title "computer management" will appear (you may need to log in as the admin to do this)
    -in the middle white space dbl Click "Services and Application"
    -in the same area dbl click "Services"
    you will notice a list of services will appear.
    -sort them by name and scrol down to "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
    -Dbl click it to open its properties window
    under the "general" tab look to "startup type"
    -in that drop down menu selsect "Disabled"
    you may need to stop the process from the Windows Task Manager, you need to click "view processes from all users" inorder to see/stop WMPNS.exe
    -once it is dissabled click "ok" or "apply"
    -Close all Windows
    -Restart.
    END

PS wmpnetwk.exe the .exe file for the service is located in your program files
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player"

NOTE: be VERY Carefull in computer managemnt, its an easy way to mess some thing up. also i would NOT recomend deleting wmpnetwk.exe as itself is not disabled and my be nedded by the player for other functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfegang16 View Post
    Ya sorry i should have posted my OS i am running Windows 7

There seems not to be a media sharing option under library, even if i go into the advanced features tab there is no option to do media sharing.

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconJon View Post
    Perhaps this works:

Thank you for this info.

It was exactly what I needed.

I took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Radar

disable wmp network sharing.

I found this a relatively simple process, and my computer knowledge is somewhat basic.

On win 7, go to control panel - network and sharing centre - change advanced sharing settings - choose media streaming options - show devices on all networks - block all - click ok.

Although wmpnetwk.exe still shows as a process in task manager it doesn't use any of your cpu.

I had a similar issue, every time the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Device would interfer with torrents.. I'd get the problem that torrents could no longer download because another process was using the program (and 45-50% CPU aswell). I'm using Windows 7 and this is how I shut it down (should anyone be wondering):

Configuratiescherm --> Systeem en beveiliging --> Systeembeheer --> Component Services --> Services (lokaal) --> Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (it's in the list) --> Right click, properties, startup type --> Disable.

I don't know all the english translations I'm afraid.

EDIT: Too rash reply I see, Mec Man posted the same steps. I'll just leave this on here for dutchies then.
    Last edited by Asgardt; October 22nd, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Stop wmp network service

Last edited by ecal90; December 11th, 2010 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information