+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EMachines w5243 keeps shutting down

I'm working on an emachines w5243. The computer will power up for about minute and then shuts down. I have tried another power supply, as these units come with pretty crappy PSU's. No luck. I have examines the mobo and cannot see anything obvious (leaking caps, etc.) My feeling is that it is probably the CPU (Athlon 3800+). I can get a new CPU for about $60.00 from PacificGeek, but before I ordered it I wanted to post on the forum to see if anyone has any other ideas.

So, any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Its not common for a cpu to die. Have you checked the temps in bios? Have you tried swapping around memory?
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Here are my current readings from the BIOS:
    CPU Vcore 1.37v
    +3.3V 3.32V
    +5V 5.11V
    +12V 11.98V
    Voltage Battery 3.02V
    VDIMM 1.02V
    CPU Tcontrol 39-43 degrees C
    System Temp 37 degrees C
    CPU Fan Speed 1544 RPM
    Shutdown Temp Disabled (default)
    Warning Temp Disabled (default)

The system will run indefinitely while in Setup. When I reboot and let it start to load Windows it will shut down within a few seconds. Again, this seems to point to the CPU. This brings up another issue. I have an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ out of another machine that I was going to swap into this one to see what happens. However the 4000 will not fit the socket. When I checked out the pin layout on the two processors I noticed that there was a difference. I thought that all Athlon 64 processors would fit the same socket type. Guess I was wrong..........

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention. I had some brand new memory sticks laying around and put those in. No difference.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frank5754 View Post
    Here are my current readings from the BIOS:
    CPU Vcore 1.37v
    +3.3V 3.32V
    +5V 5.11V
    +12V 11.98V
    Voltage Battery 3.02V
    VDIMM 1.02V
    CPU Tcontrol 39-43 degrees C
    System Temp 37 degrees C
    CPU Fan Speed 1544 RPM
    Shutdown Temp Disabled (default)
    Warning Temp Disabled (default)

The system will run indefinitely while in Setup. When I reboot and let it start to load Windows it will shut down within a few seconds. Again, this seems to point to the CPU. This brings up another issue. I have an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ out of another machine that I was going to swap into this one to see what happens. However the 4000 will not fit the socket. When I checked out the pin layout on the two processors I noticed that there was a difference. I thought that all Athlon 64 processors would fit the same socket type. Guess I was wrong..........
    There was sockett 939 and AM2 for the athlon 64 cpu's, also are you sure its an athlon 64 3800+ or just a basic athlon 3800+.

The temps are fine and you tried RAM so I guess you have ruled that out. The fact it will POST and run in the BIOS is a good sign which would lead me to believe a possible OS corruption.

What you could do is download a bootable linux disk and see if you can get that running. It will run off the disk so it won't need to be installed onto your HDD.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

OK, here's what I got....
    Both CPU's show Athlon 64. However, there are 4 "void" areas (no pins) on the chips. These areas are not in the same locations on the chips. For instance, on the 3800 two of the voids are 5 pins from the edge, while on the 4000 chip they are 7 pins from the edge. Weird.
    I attempted to use a Linux boot disk, with same results. FYI, I had formatted the HD and was reloading Windows XP, so I do not think that OS corruption is the issue.

At this point I do not think that the motherboard, memory, PSU, or HD are the culprits, which leaves only the CPU. Would you agree?

And by the way, thanks so much for your quick responses!

Identical Problem

Quote Originally Posted by frank5754 View Post
    OK, here's what I got....
    Both CPU's show Athlon 64. However, there are 4 "void" areas (no pins) on the chips. These areas are not in the same locations on the chips. For instance, on the 3800 two of the voids are 5 pins from the edge, while on the 4000 chip they are 7 pins from the edge. Weird.
    I attempted to use a Linux boot disk, with same results. FYI, I had formatted the HD and was reloading Windows XP, so I do not think that OS corruption is the issue.

At this point I do not think that the motherboard, memory, PSU, or HD are the culprits, which leaves only the CPU. Would you agree?

And by the way, thanks so much for your quick responses!
    I have the exact same machine with the exact same problem. Have tried replacing everything but the CPU and still no luck.

Did you ever rectify your issue? if so, please post and tell us how you fixed the problem.

Emachine keeps shutting down

I'm working on the exact same machine with the same problem, I've replaced HDD, MEM, power supply, even the optical drive, so it's either MBB or processor, anyone come up with a fix?
    Tanks,
    David

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg35 View Post
    I'm working on the exact same machine with the same problem, I've replaced HDD, MEM, power supply, even the optical drive, so it's either MBB or processor, anyone come up with a fix?
    Tanks,
    David
    Hi, and WELCOME TO TECHIMO - from the Folding@Home Team [#111]...!

If you've already swapped most of the parts (regardless of whether they're likely to be the cause or not, such as the optical drive) then it is indeed narrowed down to either being an issue with the CPU or MoBo.

Chances are that it is going to be the MoBo as, as Aaron has mentioned, they are not normally the culprit...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_8015 View Post
    Its not common for a cpu to die. Have you checked the temps in bios? Have you tried swapping around memory?
    What you might be as well off to do first is to install/run a temperature application (CPUID is what I use - CPUID) to ensure that it isn't an issue with overheating.... You need to have Administrative rights when you open/run the app, otherwise it won't tell you anything, but when it is running it will show you the current, minimum and maximum temps that it has seen (since the app was started) on your components....
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Question eMachines shutting down

Hi
    I'v been following this thread hoping for a fix for the same problem others seem to be having,
    My eMachine has gotten so bad that now it won't boot.
    Has anyone found a fix for this or id'ed what is causing the problem- if so please post?
    Thanx, RedTech.

exact same problem

I have the exact same problem, swapped out psu, ram, hard drive , booted off a linux disk. I took the cpu out , cleaned the heat sink and reapplied thermal paste. It is not an overheating issue. Even though there are no obvious signs I am going with a bad motherboard and am shopping for a replacement.

I am very disappointed emachines used to be workhorses , this pc is not that old.

You say that it isn't an overheating thing, but have you gone into your BIOS to confirm that and/or used something like CPUID (should be listed in the 'Apps' thread link in my sig) when you're in M$....?

I'd also like to know what happens if you run MemTest86 (also in the above mentioned thread link - and also on the multiple versions of Ubuntu install media I have at home) to check that the issue isn't with the RAM you're using...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Post Tried the CPU;

Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post

You say that it isn't an overheating thing, but have you gone into your BIOS to confirm that and/or used something like CPUID (should be listed in the 'Apps' thread link in my sig) when you're in M$....?

I'd also like to know what happens if you run MemTest86 (also in the above mentioned thread link - and also on the multiple versions of Ubuntu install media I have at home) to check that the issue isn't with the RAM you're using...
    Hi,

A little history. 8 months ago I replaced the MCP61SM-GM motherboard in a W5243 system, for it would power on for a few seconds, the fan would spin, then power off. After troubleshooting the motherboard was the culprit, replacing it fixed the problem. Strong indicator, 5 1800 CAPS located by the CPU were swollen.

The system is again acting up, this time with the conditions mentioned in this thread. All the steps mentioned in this thread have been completed including using a bootable Linux to test the OS theory, which for course failed as well. To add, I did replace the CPU and the symptoms remained the same. Checking the motherboard closely, you can "feel" the CAPS (three this time) are swelling.

I am going to replace the motherboard this week, BUT, I'm also going to replace the power supply, for I feel as this fails it's bringing the motherboard with it.

Update:

Replaced the motherboard and the system worked fine. While inside the system box replaced the power supply with one of equal wattage but from a different vendor. As well, added a system fan for this W5243 only came with a CPU fan, thats it!

emachine w5243

have had all the same problems with my comp. my guru buddy took it apart & found that the capacitors wrer "unsoldered" was informed this is a common thing with these machines since 2007 & up he rplaced my caps with "fresh " new ones. im now up & runnin & very satisfied ! he mentioned the "caps" with the x stamped on top are known to be bad .hope this post helps some frustrated user

btw dells are known for this too

Thumbs up emachine prob fixed

I had the exact same thing happen to 3 emachine computers that customers had. I examined the board closely and found that 3 or 4 or all of the caps directly behind the cpu where slightly bulging, and some not at all. but they where all bad!! So i replaced all 6 or 7 caps and crossed my fingers. To my amazement...the computer booted right up. same thing with all 3 computers. I would suggest monthly cleaning out of the dust ,especially in and around the processor. The fans on these emachines dont seem to spin all that fast, and when dust clogs the fins in there the cpu heats up and can wreak havoc on more than just the cpu. All three of these computers where filthy , so i suspect that either the extra heat caused the caps to go, or the caps where cheap to begin with (which they are).

e machine w5243

These caps you replaced where you buy them from and also where can I order another Hard Drive or a Mother Board at?

Thank you

Depending on where you are, there are numerous retail establishments that you can buy this sort of thing... Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! is somewhere for you to check out if you're Stateside, if you're in the Land Of Eng then there's PC Components, Desktop PCs, Laptops, LCD TVs & Computer Hardware or Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices to name just a couple...

Smile Emachine Shutdown

You might want to try to update the bios in the system (if there is a Update) It may be an older system that has a bios issue I have a W5243 And I have no problems with it starting up everything runs good on the Mobo and the CPU is not the cause I also have a 3800+ Athlon 64 the Issue must be in the bios You can get a bios update on Emachine's website hope this information helps you guys out. and along with the above answer a heat sink fan upgrade may not hurt .
    Last edited by thomasmendozajr; January 15th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information