+ Reply to Thread

Gateway DX Series Issue

Hi there, I am new here and I have been trying to figure out this issue for the last few days. We recently acquired one of the extra DX4300-03 desktops from work, we being my roomate and I.

The computer pretty much came as a blank slate, policy of our work that we wipe them clean and this one proved to be an extra that we didn't need so we took it to make it into something a bit more powerful. We've since installed Windows 7 64bit, upgraded the power supply, and the video card will be following after in a little while. In all honesty, we were suckers for the case and if it wasn't for it we'd have probably just built an entirely new computer.

Which brings me to our problem. All of the extras included on the case, the SD slots, USBs, etc, all work fine (they do now at least, it took a bit of work to get them to work) but the disc tray eject buttons ontop of the case refuse to fuction. The traditional disc eject buttons work fine, which are on the side of the case, but the more or less vanity ones up top refuse to work.

For reference, these are the buttons I am talking about, marked as #2:
    Gateway Support - Top View

We're pretty much certain that we are not missing any drivers, we've pretty much gone through every single one out there and more-or-less replicated the driver set up as on the computers still at work. But these buttons refuse to function. We've come to a conclusion that it may be because of Windows 7 64bit, most of which is not yet supported by the drivers (most are 32bit vista), or that there is some secret software that makes these buttons function that Gateway keeps in a vault 300 ft underground in fear of someone wanting to use their case to build a useful machine... that looks good.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem, we'd be much appreciative. If not, I guess its not too big a deal. The box is still functioning and still does look good, but those two buttons are a bit depressing being dead like that. (Oh and if this is the wrong forum for this inquiry, I apologize.)

Thanks.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Hi there, I am new here and I have been trying to figure out this issue for the last few days. We recently acquired one of the extra DX4300-03 desktops from work, we being my roomate and I.

The computer pretty much came as a blank slate, policy of our work that we wipe them clean and this one proved to be an extra that we didn't need so we took it to make it into something a bit more powerful. We've since installed Windows 7 64bit, upgraded the power supply, and the video card will be following after in a little while. In all honesty, we were suckers for the case and if it wasn't for it we'd have probably just built an entirely new computer.

Which brings me to our problem. All of the extras included on the case, the SD slots, USBs, etc, all work fine (they do now at least, it took a bit of work to get them to work) but the disc tray eject buttons ontop of the case refuse to fuction. The traditional disc eject buttons work fine, which are on the side of the case, but the more or less vanity ones up top refuse to work.

For reference, these are the buttons I am talking about, marked as #2:
    Gateway Support - Top View

We're pretty much certain that we are not missing any drivers, we've pretty much gone through every single one out there and more-or-less replicated the driver set up as on the computers still at work. But these buttons refuse to function. We've come to a conclusion that it may be because of Windows 7 64bit, most of which is not yet supported by the drivers (most are 32bit vista), or that there is some secret software that makes these buttons function that Gateway keeps in a vault 300 ft underground in fear of someone wanting to use their case to build a useful machine... that looks good.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem, we'd be much appreciative. If not, I guess its not too big a deal. The box is still functioning and still does look good, but those two buttons are a bit depressing being dead like that. (Oh and if this is the wrong forum for this inquiry, I apologize.)

Thanks.
    You must install the Gateway photo frame utility to get the button to work. If you have an eject button on your keyboard, you have to install the drivers for that keyboard. BOTH OF THESE ARE wINDOWS FIXES ONLY. Worse than all of this is what happens in BIOS if you must restore your hard drive from a crash. Try the eject button in BIOS and see if it works (hit F2 while booting and you will be put into BIOS). I still don't have a solution to the BIOS problem. gbharte@verizon.net

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information