+ Reply to Thread

My Laptop won't stay connected to wireless, others do..

Hi,
    I have three laptops in my house, but only mine won't stay connected to the wireless router. It stays connected for like, 3 minutes, then its off again. I will disconnect from my network, then reconnect, then it will stay connected for a few minutes, then stop working again. The other two laptops have no problems.

Now, my laptop was the last one to be added to the network, if that matters. I'm completely tech illiterate, so please break your answers down, lol.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you have the latest wireless network card drivers installed for your laptop?

Hmm...I assumed because I just bought it everything was updated. I know it says I have an "Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter" Just checked the other Laptops, and they have the same.

How do I check if I have the latest, or how do I get the latest?

Blog Entries
    No usually your drivers are older when you purchase a machine. Companies release driver updates all the time. Who makes the laptop? I would go to the laptops website, and search for your laptop to get the latest drivers for your wireless card

Hmm...I assumed because I just bought it everything was updated. I know it says I have an "Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter" Just checked the other Laptops, and they have the same.

How do I check if I have the latest, or how do I get the latest?

Blog Entries
    See my above post, go to the manufactures website and find your laptop and get the latest drivers on their site

Okay, It seems I do have the latest driver. I also disconnected and manually reconnected to the network. I still only get a few minutes of connectivity then...nothing.

Now, clicking on the wireless icon, my computer will say I'm connected locally and to internet, but no pages will load until I disconnect and reconnect to my network. (typing fast before I'm disconnected again!)
    The other two laptops are still connected just fine.

Any ideas?

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Are the three laptops the same distance from the router or is yours further? What is the signal strength when it is connected? (e.g. excellent, poor) What are your network settings? (i.e. DHCP, DNS, gateway)
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Still not connecting *sigh*

Yes, they are the same distance from router. I can be in the same room as the router and still have to do all that disconnecting and reconnecting. Sometimes the strength says excellent, and sometimes very good. It never says poor. Its DNS.

any more ideas? Thanks for all you guys' help!

Blog Entries
    What model router do you have? What os are you running? Are you using the network card software to connect to the wireless network or windows built in wireless manager?

I have a netgear wnr3500 (15x speed). I'm running Windows Vista. I'm using the built in wireless manager.

The other two laptops are the exact same model. as my laptop, the Compaq Presario cq60z 200. We are doing the exact same thing.

Make sure there is not interference between your router and that laptop such as phones.

Also make sure you have updated to the most recent firmware for your router / modems.

If that is all good make sure your connection is strong enough to support multiple computers. You may be disconnecting if other computers are hogging all the bandwidth. Make sure your connection is password protected so no one can steal your signals.

Another thing you should do is power cycle your modem and router for about 5 minutes and do a Windows Repair on it.

Control Panel - Network Connections - Right Click Local Area Connection - Repair

If none of that works check your signal strength to your laptop. If it is very low move closer to the router and see if it helps. If it doesn't then compare it to another laptop as it could be an issue with the laptops reciever and not the router.

This is just from personal experience and I am not a professional with this kind of stuff.

Just trying to help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information