+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gateway DX4822-01, intermittent boot/display issues

Gateway DX4822-01, intermittent boot/display issues

I have a Gateway DX4822 that's not quite a year old yet. The other day, it shut off randomly, then would not boot properly. The power button would not light up, but the CPU fan and hard drive would start to spin up. Had my dad take it to a computer shop he knows, they diagnosed a bad hard drive but also said something about the video hanging up. I have an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT installed in it.

I've got the computer back with me now, with a brand new harddrive. After a few attempts, I was finally able to get Windows 7 installed on the new drive. However, I'm still getting problems booting with no video or power indicator. However, if I let it sit for a few minutes after powering down, it seems to boot up properly.

I currently have the Geforce removed and am running off the onboard VGA output.

Just wanted any advice before I finally give up and ship it back to Gateway.

I have the exact same issue with the exact same system. Did you ever get it fixed. Mine won't do anything at all now.

Same problem

I had the same problem, except I switched out the harddrive and it still gives me the same random shut downs, but the fans stay on. I also switched the graphics to an old nvidia geoforce I had and didn't do a thing. Did u get yours fixed? Sometimes if i short the CMOS, it will power on with the fans full blast, but if I power it down, it won't turn on again.
    Last edited by PanicAtTheKitty; February 23rd, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Sounds to me more like a Bad Power Suppy or Mother Board to me (Id lean more to the latter).

Does it still behave strangely without the GeForce installed?

have you tried stripping it down to minimal hardware? Only one stick of RAM, Proc, HDD, no optical or floppy drives, no video or sound cards, no USB devices except KB/Mouse.

Yes, that was my first assumption, the graphics card. Instead of using the onboard VGA, I used the GeForce and it did the same thing. I have tried all of the above in various sequences. I was also thinking about the mobo but I was trying to deny the fact. Oh well.

also having the same problem

I'm having the exact same problem as mentioned in the first post. Has anyone come up with a resolution on this? Initially suspecting the power supply or motherboard, but not sure where to start....thanks.

My Gateway DX4822-03c purchased from Future Shop in Canada developed exactly the same problem, just over a year after I got it.

Random shutdowns with no warning, no BSOD, followed by an unsuccessful reboot. It wouldn't pass POST, and there was no video signal. Power was getting to the fan and the optical drive, and sometimes the power button was illuminated.

After much troubleshooting, I checked the voltages on the power supply and found that they were all within 5% of their target -- except for the "power good" and "power on" wires, which were 0.12 and 0.03 volts respectively. The power supply was FSP Group, model FSP300-60THA(1), p/n 9PA3007405, 300 watts. Once I replaced it, all was well.

Note: in retrospect I realize I forgot to check the voltages on the square 4-pin motherboard connector.

My computer would go to sleep and not wake up. I was able to get it back on two times but now it will not start at all. No lights, noises, nothing. Of course it is over a year old so no warranty.

Gateway wants $199.00 to repair but I need to save info before sending because they won't protect my stored info. I can not save because I can not turn computer on.

Can this be repaired without loosing everything. Senseless sending to be repaired if I loose everything.

May as well buy a new computer.

What do you think.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    My computer would go to sleep and not wake up. I was able to get it back on two times but now it will not start at all. No lights, noises, nothing. Of course it is over a year old so no warranty.

Gateway wants $199.00 to repair but I need to save info before sending because they won't protect my stored info. I can not save because I can not turn computer on.

Can this be repaired without loosing everything. Senseless sending to be repaired if I loose everything.

May as well buy a new computer.

What do you think.
    Sounds like your power supply, in which case your data is fine. It'll be cheaper if you take it to a computer shop.

Power supply went bad

Hello folks,

Just wanted to say that we have three of these in the office that share the exact same symptoms. One finally hard-failed with fans spinning, no power light, and no POST. I've replaced the power supply in that one, and it runs fine now. I've got power supplies ordered for the other two.

Also wanted to thank Bogman for posting that the power supply replacement worked. Thanks!

Jeff

Lightbulb Gateway DX4822-01

I HAD the same exact problem as everyone else, lucky for myself I am an A+ & Cisco Certified technician. It is the power supply. get a higher end one and you will be fine. My only prpblem I have with this pc is I have to plug a ps/2 keyboard in to get into the bios. ODD for a newer model pc.

Obviously a common problem with this machine.

Who's more at fault, Gateway or the psu manufacturer, FSP Group?

I upgraded mine with a Cooler Master that is a good deal quieter and delivers 100 watts more power.

Then to my dismay I discovered that it too was made by FSP Group.

But so far (knock on my wooden head) no problems.

Blog Entries
    Have a coworkers computer with the same problem....I'm going to order a power supply for it, I'm curious as to what everyone picked up as a replacement....this computer will see no future upgrades to it, it's essentially an internet/file server machine.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

I have the DX4822. Sounds like I have a similiar problem.

Randomly the screen would go balck, and i'd get a no signal message. Seems to me that the light on the computer would turn off and then on. The fans would continue running.

However, more recently, I would not be ale to turn the machine on. Upon pushing the button, the button would either fail to light up (more usually) or it would light up. Either case, the monitor owuld remain black. Id try it over nad over and eventually it would come on. Though it seems like it takes longer and longer.

Based off of previous posts, I figured power supply. Went to the computer supply store. Guy says no way. If it was the power supply the fans would no run at all, you wouldn't get anything. Reading the posts closer, I've seen both. Some people were describing a computer that does not fire at all, wheras others had just the fan, like me.

My question is has the fix been replacking the pwoer supply for poeple who've experience the same as me, not able to get a signal to the monitro, random shutdowns, but the fan continues running?

Gruy at the computer place was syaing mother board.

powering on

I don't have any issues with the Gateway DX4822 once it's running, but last week, after powering down normally, when I pushed the power button... nothing. I pushed it a half dozen more times... nothing. I then unplugged the power cord from the case and plugged it back in. As I was doing so I heard the "click" of the electricity arcing to the prongs of the plug, and the computer power light lit up, and it booted fine. Ever since then it won't start using the power button. I push it, just to put it in the "on" position, and then have to unplug and replug, sometimes more than once, to get it to power up. (Runs absolutely perfectly once on.)

Is this an issue that can be corrected be simply replacing the power supply?

Thanks.

Solution

Finally was able to replace the power supply with an old one I had, works fabulously! Just need to upgrade to a better one once I have the cash, but at least I know now that it works.

IT IS the Power supply TRUST ME.

Quote Originally Posted by calhoon View Post
    I have the DX4822. Sounds like I have a similiar problem.

Randomly the screen would go balck, and i'd get a no signal message. Seems to me that the light on the computer would turn off and then on. The fans would continue running.

However, more recently, I would not be ale to turn the machine on. Upon pushing the button, the button would either fail to light up (more usually) or it would light up. Either case, the monitor owuld remain black. Id try it over nad over and eventually it would come on. Though it seems like it takes longer and longer.

Based off of previous posts, I figured power supply. Went to the computer supply store. Guy says no way. If it was the power supply the fans would no run at all, you wouldn't get anything. Reading the posts closer, I've seen both. Some people were describing a computer that does not fire at all, wheras others had just the fan, like me.

My question is has the fix been replacking the pwoer supply for poeple who've experience the same as me, not able to get a signal to the monitro, random shutdowns, but the fan continues running?

Gruy at the computer place was syaing mother board.
    Last edited by we3lsc; November 2nd, 2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Forgot to put comment
    pattishka likes this.

WE31,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try the power supply.

Is there anythign you'rd recommend? Looking on line, which is where I think I'll end up orderign it from, I'm greeted with a plethroa. also, in a previos post you recommend upgrading. Is that to say that you suggest increasing it to something higher than 300 watts?

Blog Entries
    I replaced the power supply with a rosewill brand 530w power supply for $50 @ Newegg.com...down from $75 with free shipping. It'll have all the power overhead you could want for upgrades, and is green certified, which means it'll be more efficient than the old one.

Newegg.com - Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information