+ Reply to Thread

Youtube Progress bar not visible, but works otherwise.

In Firefox, my Progress bar has disappeared. As in, it isn't visible to the eye. However, it works. I can click where the pause button would be and it pauses or unpauses, mute button works fine. I suppose the others do too. The first video I load on a new session on the site I'll see the bar for maybe half a second before the video starts and then it's gone. I might be wrong, but I think the picture may be shrunk too.

In IE, I get sound but no video. It's like the initial black loading screen freezes. But the bar is there. Though nothing shows loading or anything. And it's always a pause butting. I admit here I don't know if this is related or not, but including it for troubleshooting purposes just in case it does help.

I've tried clearing caches and history to no avail. Uninstalled and reinstalled Java, Flash, and Shockwave. Again, no luck. Restarted the computer more than once in the process of all of the above. No change at all.

I'm using Windows Vista Home edition of some version. 64 Bit version.

The issue started last night quite literally mid video. So I'm not sure what could have changed in the meantime. It was a shot (maybe 10 seconds) video, so it's possible what I thought was mid-video was just the behavior I am getting now. But I don't know what got installed in the meantime.

EDIT: A bit more info. It's there on embedded videos on sites like facebook. Just not Youtube proper.
    Last edited by dulahan; February 18th, 2011 at 02:24 AM.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can you take a screen shot of what you are seeing because the way you are describing it its a bit confusing.

You do know the red progress bar itself will drop away, but it comes back on mouse over? Much the same the volume controls and other controls fade away a bit until you move the pointer over the top.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...de/youtube.jpg

When this screenshot was taken my cursor was literally right over where the 'pause' button would be. Which would normally make it visible.

And yes, I am aware it usually 'hides' but when you move the cursor down near the bottom of the applet it will reappear. In this case, it never reappears visually. However, it DOES functionally. So it is there, but without being able to see it, it's pretty hard to know what I'm clicking or see if a video has finished loading or anything of that sort. So for instance I can click where the 'pause' button would be (Which I can only know because of memory) and it will pause. But the buttons aren't there at all visually.

This issue doesn't happen anywhere else, not on Hulu, or any other number of random video sites that work like youtube I've tried. Even on Youtube applets like you see connected to Facebook pages, the issue is not there. It's only on Youtube's site proper.

Blog Entries
    Interesting all of the controls are completely gone. Can't say I've seen that before. What extensions are you running? It looks like you might have ad-block or something else? Try disabling them and see if that helps.

You said this just started have you recently installed any software that might be blocking it?

I'm not aware of any new software since I started it, short of some possible automatic update to Firefox or Windows I glazed over. As it literally happened mid-video.

I've tried turning off adblock too. Again, no luck.

I'm not sure if the IE problem is separate or related, but in it I get no video, it's like it is hidden behind the loading screen. So I just get audio. Though in there's case I see the control bar, but it never hides or shows any progress. It's like the entire video is 'stuck' behind it. But again, I'm not sure if that is related or a completely different issue as I never use ie anyways short of cases of troubleshooting like this. But thought I'd mention it just in case.

EDIT: Just tried disabling all extensions, no luck

Blog Entries
    Since its not working correctly across both browsers it has me a bit stumped. I know you mentioned re-installing flash but I'd download and run the flash un-installer Uninstall Flash Player | Windows then re-install the latest version.

No luck with that step either.

This is just messed up.

As still more info, same problem even when popping youtube to fullscreen. Invisible bar at bottom. That was some fun blind clicking to get out of, and into for that matter.

Blog Entries
    Looking at the Google/YouTube help forums it looks like several ppl are having similar issues with no fix as of yet.

As a temporary workaround, you can try one, or both, of the following:

1) Right click on the player > click Settings > Disable Hardware Acceleration > Refresh your Internet Browser
    2) Try closing your browser and re-load the video.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; February 18th, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Weird. But at least I know it isn't just me right now then. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Blog Entries
    Def not alone, they have a ton of people complaining about the issue

Watching Videos - YouTube Help

Same thing for me. Using Chrome, win7 x64 home. On the right click on the flash player no settings are available.

Found a solution.
    Visited this page:
    YouTube - SWF Testing
    there rightclicked on the player, chose settings and there turned the hardware acceleration off. works fine now.

That one worked for me too. Thank you!

Exclamation Firefox fix problem

i recently had this problem as well: it happened suddenly.
    have you been playing around with configurations on your computer such as disabling or uninstalling programs so that your computer runs faster?

first off:
    1. make sure you have updated version of adobe flash player or java applets running on your computer
    2. if you have windows 7 then do the following:
    - in the search bar type in msconfig
    - go to the startup and make sure that you have ALL adobe systems checked
    3. if you have windows xp or other versions click run: and type in msconfig
    - go to the startup tab
    - and check all adobe system and java

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why you think that would have any impact as flash isn't part of the start-up file and YouTube doesn't use java. In fact you can un-check everything from both adobe and java and still notice no difference. Java only adds the java updater and adobe adds a system hook so it will load a bit faster.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    LOL, the funny thing is, using their directions, I usually UNCHECK most Adobe and Java crap that runs in the background that doesn't need to be running (usually process's calling home checking for updates, and bogging down the system)
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Yeah I almost always have anything that is not truly needed unchecked and that includes anything from adobe, apple, and java

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    same here, Adobe, Apple, Java, and the occasional Logitech or Microsoft things.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information